What's new

Strop Hanging Height

Up to now I have been hooking the strip over the bathroom door handle but the other half has called time on this so I’m planning on installing a hook in the bathroom for this purpose.

The door handle is far too low to be comfortable (I’m 6’3”) so by installing a hook I can make this higher but now I have the conundrum of how high to place this and would welcome any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I usually like a longer strop so just under chin height seems ideal for me, but I am pretty flexible on that. A few inches high or low isn't really a major game changer.

Mine are hanging from a storage rack in my office but seem accidentally to be at a very comfortable height for me, with stropping largely horizontal rather than up or down. With my elbows at my side, forearms at right angles, my 'finger guns' are pretty much pointing right at the hooks.

Right around hip height for me.
You can grab the strop and brace your holding wrist against your hip like in this video.
Barbers had them at a very low height so stropping was downward. Here is not so low but you can see how he braces his holding hand.

I don't understand having the strop so high that you are stropping uphill. Straight out and back for me.

I started with a stick-on hook just above hip height. Functional, but uncomfortable and I had to do a deep knee bend to grab the handles/ends.

When I mounted a permanent hook I mounted it about mid-chest height. No more deep knee bends. I'm stropping "uphill" but find it more comfortable, especially for X-strokes on a 2.5 in. width strop.

There are too many individual preferences for this. You should hang it how you prefer (not trying to sound funny). Longer strops, shorter strops, hardware or hangers - there are other factors that all make this a personal choice.

There are too many individual preferences for this. You should hang it how you prefer (not trying to sound funny). Longer strops, shorter strops, hardware or hangers - there are other factors that all make this a personal choice.

I agree but it should not strain a joint to perform.
For me if its higher there is much more strain on the shoulder than if it were at a waist height.
If it is not comfortable it will inevitably affect negatively on what you are trying to accomplish.

I've always wanted an adjustable height anchor for resistance bands and the same thing might work for strop mounting. Spousal unit is not likely to allow me to put one in the bathroom however. :p

D400DF52-470A-4770-AF57-856B4D089898.jpeg
L-Track

Just above the navel for me. Off-hand in gripping the strop is held lower. I start out from the top, so the first pass is descending, followed by an ascending return. As others have said, it's a personal preference.

Quick math.
Assuming normal human being, we calculate the optimum stropping projection angle as follows.
projection.jpg

It should be obvious at this point that the use of Adams-Hopkins formula would be appropriate.
equation.jpg

Which inevitably leads to the following simulations.
optimum.jpg

29 degrees.

So place it at a place where the slope of the strop maintains 29 degrees as you strop.

Thus endeth the lesson.

As an alternative approach to the hanging height of the strop and angle, see the video linked below, first posted on B&B, I think, by the Great White Shavealo. From around the 0:54 to 1:00 mark, the shaver is stropping from a strop that is around five inches wide, hanging very high, and being held at a very steep angle.

Many thanks to Brad L. @haggis for his search skills in locating this for me on another thread. --Alan

Edit. A link to the original post on B&B, as subsequently discussed there: My Favorite Shaving YouTube to Date - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-favorite-shaving-youtube-to-date.284152/.

Last edited:
Ya, he's leaning over a sink or something as well.
Perhaps if he did more than 7 strokes he would relocate it, that is, if he could find a place:)

I prefer near horizontal at about waist hight, and have tried it hanging higher. I"m not sure I'm buying that 29 degree math either. the charts look pretty, but I'm not referring it to my engineering section to verify if those numbers are fuzzy or well shaven.

and I grab the strop near it's attatchment point and slide the low end up to my off hand too.

That video makes me think I am sooooooo over thinking SR shaving...

If it's any consolation, we don't know what was involved in the prior sequence involving the brush and soap and some sort of boiled-egg container in the bain-marie environment. It is possible that it took several minutes more and some kind of witches' dance to bring things to readiness there prior to filming the video as posted.

Top Bottom