What's new

Strop Availability and Backlog

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I wanted to make an update on availability of my strops. This is just a sideline for me so am not in the shop every day and have other obligations right now. I have temporarily gone to a Notify / Waitlist where people could sign up and I would let them know as soon as I was able to build them a strop. I do not want to pre-sell and colelct funds until I am actually making a person strop so closed the storefront to ordering.

At this time I am probably booked until at least early June due to a huge increase of requests the past few days. Although I am moving through the list quickly I do not want to take more requests or add to the list until the current requests are all filled. Also since leather of the quality I require is not always easy to secure I don't want to do requests beyond materials on hand. Notovan is in short supply right now but more is on the way from Horween which could take a week or two.

I appreciate all the interest in my products and wish I could supply everyone who is asking in a timely manner but I only have so much time to devote right now and only so much quakity materials.

So for the time being the Notify / Waitlist is temporarily closed and will hopefully open again in early June.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Love mine from a few years ago, I have been itching to try a new one. They are worth the wait. I have the 3" original heirloom fast bridle strop.

I was able to source a few more Fast Bridle hides this year. Tannery stopped running them a year or so ago but they found 10 in their warehouse and I grabbed 6 of the best ones. Some are still only suitable for Plain or Practice strops but a few are Artisan quality and will be offered again once I have more shop time along with my Black Medium Draw Latigo and a new European Bridle leather I found.

Mine has a lot of scratches from perhaps poor stropping technique. Top and bottom both. Worn on both edges as well.
Is it still usable or do I need a new piece of leather?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mine has a lot of scratches from perhaps poor stropping technique. Top and bottom both. Worn on both edges as well.
Is it still usable or do I need a new piece of leather?

As long as it does not have loose flaps of leather from cuts and they do not catch on the edge you can keep using it. Even they can be repaired depending on the type of leather. Scratches can come from nicks or burrs on the edge or sharp, or square corners on the tip or heel of the razor when stropping. Wear or damage is not uncommon when learning and beginners will likely damage a strop as they develop technique and even experienced users will sometimes nick or cut a strop.

Worn edges on a strop can happen if you technique lets the razor sort of lean down from the flat plane of the strop or if the strop has started to cup. Over time leather can move and sometimes needs to be coaxed back flat again.

I do sell replacement leather if needed.

Top Bottom