What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

Yay, my first strop!
Store made a mistake and sent out two, I'm not complaining. 😎

Now to try and wait until my first SR arrives... 😬

PS do I need to use red abrasive paste on the non leather side?
They forgot to deliver that. 😛

View attachment 1575411
I don't see a non-leather side in your photo. Personally I use a diamond pasted balsa strop for daily edge maintenance. In my vintage hanging strops, red paste was mainly applied to the linen components, but sometimes applied to prepared surfaces on the back side of the leather component.

Here is the back surface of one of my vintage strops:
57E0EFEB-952F-4D1F-9B1A-BA47392E7E89.jpeg

@duke762, very impressive work. I am amazed!

One question. The spelling of "CERTIFYD", is that an American spelling? I haven't seen it spelt that way before. The spelling of the same word below the trade mark is the spelling that I am use to.

I understand that the work "CHECKS" is probably referring the cheques.
I have a CERTIFYD Russian shell. CERTIFYD is definitely just a wacky spelling for use as a trademark.

@duke762 did an impressive job indeed on those shell strops!

Yay, my first strop!

View attachment 1575411
I would use one of those strops for pastes (0.5 micron CrOx on one side, 0.1 micron FeOx on the other), that way you can do honing/polishing and touchups right after you use your stones if you are sitting like I do most of the time.

I would use one of those strops for pastes (0.5 micron CrOx on one side, 0.1 micron FeOx on the other), that way you can do honing/polishing and touchups right after you use your stones if you are sitting like I do most of the time.
Hmm, I dont have any stones yet. Bought a shave ready vintage SR, which is on it's way. Was thinking about keeping one aside for when I accidentally fudge up and cut through them. I'm a De-shaver, this is all new to me.

If I were to buy a or more stones, what should I be looking for? Would a Nero gardesia 10000 be sufficientl or should I add a 6 and 8k oilstone (Aliexpress) as well?

If I manage to survive my first SR shaves, the plan is to buy a cheap Gold dollar (or cheap, roughed up vintage) to focus on trying to hone.

Hmm, I dont have any stones yet. Bought a shave ready vintage SR, which is on it's way. Was thinking about keeping one aside for when I accidentally fudge up and cut through them. I'm a De-shaver, this is all new to me.

If I were to buy a or more stones, what should I be looking for? Would a Nero gardesia 10000 be sufficientl or should I add a 6 and 8k oilstone (Aliexpress) as well?

If I manage to survive my first SR shaves, the plan is to buy a cheap Gold dollar (or cheap, roughed up vintage) to focus on trying to hone.

If your vintage SR is truly shave ready, pastes should be able to keep the edge going. @Pedigree had a good suggestion if you want to use traditional pastes on leather.

I can't emphasize enough, strop with minimal pressure on the edge. Otherwise the edge will be rolled and will require at least a finishing hone to repair.

I primarily use a Naniwa 12000 Superstone as a finish hone. With diamond pasted balsa maintenance, I use it very seldom except for finish honing vintage razors after restoration and for bringing a new razor up to true shave ready.

I couldn't find any info on the hone you mention. You should not need the 6 and 8k oilstone, at least not at first.

Enjoy your new project! There will be a learning curve, so give it time.

Yay, my first strop!

View attachment 1575411
Well the good thing is the leather should be replaceable if tragedy strikes. I wouldn't play around with pastes until you have the basics figured out. You probably should figure out how to strop your new SR before you even try it, edges get oxidation in shipping. Stropping before shaving should be the primary concern then get/make a linen strop that you can use after shaving to clean and dry the razor and so you don't get contaminants in your leather strop. I will leave the more specific instructions to the more qualified, but you need to be able to strop on the spine comfortably before bringing the edge in contact. You need to work out the hand position and the stroke as well as the starting and stopping correctly. Good luck!

I got my first vintage strop today. Teeny tiny little feller; 16 inch by 1.5 inch (40cm by 3.7cm.)
Seems to be in fairly decent shape; still soft and pliable.
02.jpg

And since I collect only J.A.Henckels products this is indeed made by them.
03.jpg

FYI: Since the stamp says "Twinworks Germany" this was made for the US market. (As opposed to "Zwillingswerk Solingen"_

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The texture sort of looks like pig or boarskin to me.

I got my first vintage strop today. Teeny tiny little feller; 16 inch by 1.5 inch (40cm by 3.7cm.)
Seems to be in fairly decent shape; still soft and pliable.
View attachment 1598355

And since I collect only J.A.Henckels products this is indeed made by them.
View attachment 1598356
FYI: Since the stamp says "Twinworks Germany" this was made for the US market. (As opposed to "Zwillingswerk Solingen"_

Legion

Staff member
The texture sort of looks like pig or boarskin to me.
I dunno. Pigskin usually has more noticeable pores? Maybe deerskin?

It kind of looks like the strops from the Valet Auto Strop razors. Actually, Henckels also had a safety razor with a stropping mechanism, now I think about it. It's probably from that.

Edit; Yeah, this one. I actually have a razor similar to this in my collection, but I just have the razor, not all the extra bits and pieces.

s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually, Henckels also had a safety razor with a stropping mechanism, now I think about it. It's probably from that.

Edit; Yeah, this one. I actually have a razor similar to this in my collection, but I just have the razor, not all the extra bits and pieces.
I think you might be right. IIRC there's some sort of mechanism that you clip the blade in to, and clip onto the strop as well. Whatever, I just tried one razor and one old, carbon kitchen knife on it and now I got a big bald spot on my forearm. ;)

I'm falling behind on vintage strop posting.

This one has been lingering a while:
It seems to be labeled:
GENUINE BERKSHIRE BRAND
... so I'm thinking a Berkshire hog contributed the hide, and no doubt a couple hams as well.
4A04ACA4-EDA3-4782-AA72-82D58B0B4826.jpeg

F6351607-C715-4F3A-915F-ADBC40AABD45.jpeg

Top Bottom