What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

thanks again @Tony Miller !!!!!

stand up guy & quality strops!!!!!

camo

thanks @Tony Miller !!!!

20210716_165613.jpg

nice quality travel strop.....heck I could easily get by using for regular use!!!!!

apologies @rbscebu for partially intruding on your thread.

camo

Ha! Good one Richard ! :001_tt2:

At one point I had my Amish friends help cut strop blanks and make end caps for me but once I had more time I did everything in house. They did a wonderful job and I enjoyed my visits with them greatly. My 4 sided paddle blanks are still made by a Mennonite woodturner in Lancaster to my pattern and finished here in my shop. I did have a friend help assemble hanging strops many years ago but had to redo way too much work. It is hard to make others care as much about what you do as you do yourself.

I am my product and the two cannot be separated :biggrin1:

Naomi-san at Kanayama also does everything himself. He does not even take on any apprentices.
There is probably no better quality control than doing everything yourself. I believe that you and
Mr. Naomi are of the same mind on this. FYI here is a repost of my visit to the Kanayama workshop.
I had Mr. Naomi make a pair of custom strops this year with him hand selecting the cordovan for
me. They are #80000 length but are stamped #90000 because of the extra quality of the horsehide.

I want a Horween Cordovan strop bad. Ezra Arthur has some right now but is there anything to really be gained over my Tomonagura horse I have now. Or am I just adding to the collection of expensive leather.[emoji2958]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I want a Horween Cordovan strop bad. Ezra Arthur has some right now but is there anything to really be gained over my Tomonagura horse I have now. Or am I just adding to the collection of expensive leather.
I haven't tried a lot of different types of strops but so far I have found no difference in shave quality between any of the ones that I have tried. There may be other factors that affect strop acquisition disorder, like the "feel" and sound when stropping and the aesthetics of the strop.

Not my thread. This thread is for everyone to to tell us about their strop acquisitions, TM or otherwise.

I also envy after a TM travel strop however that will have to wait until I can justify it with being able to travel again.

I found this one exceptionally fast compared to my horween.

it's all good though, can serve as backup too if something catastrophic were to occur.

(barely audible mumbling voodoo anti hex chant after posting this.)

camo

Top Bottom