What's new

Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

@mjclark

Do you think that an artist club would work in this all metal cabinet blade shavette with your modification too?

I don't have this shavette unfortunately.
proxy.php

@mjclark

Do you think that an artist club would work in this all metal cabinet blade shavette with your modification too?

I don't have this shavette unfortunately.
proxy.php
Hmm... how would you cut away the metal nubs in that one to fit the AC cut outs?
With the plastic blade holders in the Cloud and Antelope it’s easy...

With a file?

@mjclark

Can you please when you have time post side by side a picture of an artist club blade and a antelope 77 one (cabinet)? Thanks man.

Last edited:
Guys - after trying Jishi , Antelope - 77 blue, senior 77 and Cloud blades which one of these is sharpest and durable? Can anyone give a comparison among any of the above?

Look my Dovo Shavette clone arrived today!
I think these are actually made by Gold Dollar.

And it came with some BLACK Antelope blades - a new species of Antelope :)
CDE4F68B-5B8A-4B3A-A812-0E8C2C35824C.jpeg

I dont know if its just me, but I found the blue 77 antelope blades, better than the cloud ones. So wanted to know if anyone has a already compared the two with Jishi. Looking forward to order an 100 blade pack from one of the above three.

I dont know if its just me, but I found the blue 77 antelope blades, better than the cloud ones. So wanted to know if anyone has a already compared the two with Jishi. Looking forward to order an 100 blade pack from one of the above three.
Yes what blades do we have available for these razors?
Jishi
Cloud
Antelope Senior
Antelope Super
Antelope Black

The Jishi are shockingly sharp but it’s important to keep them dry so they don’t corrode.
It will be good to have reviews on the other blades too, their sharpness and longevity.

I find blue Antelope blades to be smoother than others, but slightly less sharp. I trained myself to use steel straight razors with lower sharpness so these Antelope blades make it closer to my straight razor habits.

Well I was blown away with the fast shipping from the aliexpress vendor....unfortunately the shipment that defied expectations was just blades. Just waiting for the package to arrive and then will be waiting to get up the courage to attack my face.

Well I was blown away with the fast shipping from the aliexpress vendor....unfortunately the shipment that defied expectations was just blades. Just waiting for the package to arrive and then will be waiting to get up the courage to attack my face.
Exciting!
Which brand of blades have you got?

Hi all, I was led to this thread by our very own @mjclark, who introduced me to the wonderful world of Chinese cabinet blades when the Artist Club clubhouse discussion veered in that direction. You can read about my recent adventures with cabinet blades in the Artist Club thread, starting with post #348, where I recently discovered the downsides of using a double-width blade in a single-width holder (see pic below). I have an Antelope 77 and a DRGSKL X.Y.P. 77 on the way from Ali Express, so we'll see.

BTW, I wonder what the derivation of the term cabinet/kabinett blade is (per @Sabre in post #104 above)? Does it have anything to do with the carpenter's cabinet scraper a/k/a card scraper? Can you enlighten us, @Sabre?

proxy.php

Hi all, I was led to this thread by our very own @mjclark, who introduced me to the wonderful world of Chinese cabinet blades when the Artist Club clubhouse discussion veered in that direction. You can read about my recent adventures with cabinet blades in the Artist Club thread, starting with post #348, where I recently discovered the downsides of using a double-width blade in a single-width holder (see pic below). I have an Antelope 77 and a DRGSKL X.Y.P. 77 on the way from Ali Express, so we'll see.

BTW, I wonder what the derivation of the term cabinet/kabinett blade is (per @Sabre in post #104 above)? Does it have anything to do with the carpenter's cabinet scraper a/k/a card scraper? Can you enlighten us, @Sabre?

proxy.php

They are called Kabinett klingen in Germany.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere, but my own assumption is that they are referencing the resemblance to cabinet hinges. I could be wrong :)

proxy.php

Cabinet blade

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cabinet hinge

Ah, there is a definite resemblance! Regardless of the term's origin, since it's established in German it makes sense to carry it over into English. Danke schön!

Here’s a comparison photo between the Dovo Shavette and the Gold Dollar FDW clone:
E8E02097-FDD1-4AC5-ADC2-0B64D6CE7B29.jpeg

The FDW is slightly heavier at 16g.

Using these Chinese cabinet blades in a light razor like this is rapidly becoming one of my favourite ways of shaving:
B9AC17D5-C02E-46C8-8571-89F35999531C.jpeg

It’s great that there are so many options for the delivery system with these blades.
From the heavy and imposing Strong Leopard of the OP, through the Weck-like Cloud and Antelope, the all metal affair with the hearts in the handle to the super manouverable Dovo clone they’re all good!

I've got my Dovo Shavette finally! It hadn't been such obvious for me that this Gold Dollar razor looks almost similar to the Dovo Shavette.

So an obvious question arises, can we use the blade holders of GDL and Dovo interchangeably?

Top Bottom