What's new

Strong Leopard Shavette With Antelope Blades

I've got my Dovo Shavette finally! It hadn't been such obvious for me that this Gold Dollar razor looks almost similar to the Dovo Shavette.

So an obvious question arises, can we use the blade holders of GDL and Dovo interchangeably?
My GDL insert fits the Dovo razor.
But my Dovo insert doesn’t fit the GDL head.
I expect that you could widen the sides slightly but why bother?

Ah, there is a definite resemblance! Regardless of the term's origin, since it's established in German it makes sense to carry it over into English. Danke schön!
The German companies such as Tondeo and Jaguar refer to them as Cabinet blades when described in English.

They are many different sifters including, Siebel IN, Cerena, Jaguar/Tuckmar, Tondeo,
NTS Solingen, Hercules, 4420 Mustang, Basler, Lady B, Efalock, CRP Solingen,
Erbe, Euro Socap, Kutch, and Takai,

There are also several different kinds of cabinet blades from such producers as Medyna of Germany and NRK of Japan.

dsc_9489-jpg.435354

A photo I posted in 2014 in another thread.

Last edited:
My GDL insert fits the Dovo razor.
But my Dovo insert doesn’t fit the GDL head.
I expect that you could widen the sides slightly but why bother?

Dovo shavette has some variety, Inox handle, Olive Wood handle etc. I thought maybe I could use half DE blades in this Gold Dollar and Cabinet blades in shavette without modifications to the blade holder.

Dovo shavette has some variety, Inox handle, Olive Wood handle etc. I thought maybe I could use half DE blades in this Gold Dollar and Cabinet blades in shavette without modifications to the blade holder.
It’s worth experimenting - it should be only a very slight widening of the GDL head to accept the Dovo inserts...

So got three of the razors from aliexpress in. Braved up today and tried the teardrop. As expected my right hand is significantly quicker and more comfortable with it. My left was super awkward. I stuck to my face (on the right side I was able to get down below the jaw line a little as well as the easy part of my neck) because the grain for my neck hair runs south to north and I wasn't feeling confident enough to pull the blade up towards my face/throat on the first outing.

It was a lot of fun. Two weepers. One small one on my chin and one small one on my neck (darn you overconfidence when switching back to the DE). I found out that the lather for my first pass needed a little more water as it was drying due to my slowness. Looking forward to trying it again. Still waiting on one of
Three Shavettes.jpg.png

Really enjoying my double-width shavette. The thickness of the holder limits the range of effective angles, but when you find the sweet spot it's very nice.

proxy.php

So here’s one from the Three South store like @Seckin Bodur has.
5th shave in the Jishi blade removed three days stubble beautifully:
943F6C61-3206-42EF-B946-52A2D140DDB0.jpeg

All these cabinet blade razors are so flimsy (even the Dovo) and I started wishing there was a razor for these blades with the same kind of build as Artist Club.
Except for the Strong Leopard from the OP which is a massive steampunk tank of a thing...
I guess that these are all <$15 and there are so many different varieties which makes them very collectible though.

First shave with it and all OK and good [emoji6] antelope blades too [emoji1]
proxy.php
Great stuff! And the Sagrada Familia brush too.
This is now one of my favourite shaving formats.
I’m up to shave 9 on a Jishi half-blade and wonder how far it will go.

Shave #11 on the
Jishi half-blade in a new all metal 77 razor last night.
This feels like a substantial razor and very different in the hand to the super light plastic models.
The QC on mine is pretty good too and this was another magnificent shave.
E9A79363-1C2B-42DD-9F20-46171AEAAF25.jpeg

It’s funny when I first used an all metal version a few months ago it felt cheap and I didn’t enjoy it but this new razor which arrived yesterday feels well made and a real pleasure to use.
Another new favourite!

Shave #11 on the
Jishi half-blade in a new all metal 77 razor last night.
This feels like a substantial razor and very different in the hand to the super light plastic models.
The QC on mine is pretty good too and this was another magnificent shave.
I've got the same razor and like you, I got a good one. It feels so much different than the cheap plastic one I have, but it's not just the weight difference. The blade feels like it's part of the razor rather than a blade sitting in a holder. It took over two months to get here though.

So I’ve got up to shave #10 on the Jishi half-blade in the Three South shavette:
So good!
I've had this one for a few months now. Mine said it was a model XY1145; no markings on the razor, it was on the packaging. Is that what you have?

It’s funny when I first used an all metal version a few months ago it felt cheap and I didn’t enjoy it but this new razor which arrived yesterday feels well made and a real pleasure to use.

**important disclaimer - I have been using these shavettes for a month and have no other frame of reference. The viewpoints expressed below are those of a complete noob and should be seen as such**

If you look further up you can see the picture of the three cabinet razors I got. The one from your post (the metal tear drop) is hands down my favorite. It

The super thin one that takes half a blade clamped into a black plastic clam shell is pure evil. The blade fills flimsy and is chattier than a knitting club. It gave me the angriest bite of any of them.

The full sized shavette with the black clam shell blade holder feels much better and more substantial. The biggest downside compared with the all metal version is sight lines while I shave.

I am really enjoying using them and looking forward to trying out a straight razor in the (hopefully) very near future.

I've had this one for a few months now. Mine said it was a model XY1145; no markings on the razor, it was on the packaging. Is that what you have?
Not sure what mine said on the packaging but on the order mine just says “Manufacturer: Three South”
It’s another good one though!

I just took delivery of the double width version like @moshinho @Viseguy and @Ryanshh have pictured above which seems to be the manufacturers replacement for the plastic Antelope that we all liked so much.
Ha ha - gotta catch ‘em all!

First shave with the double width razor which is billed as “Lordmance” brand on AliExpress:
27D2AE4B-80A2-46D2-8192-49D2385F8BD5.jpeg

Like the original Strong Leopard this is a BIG razor and I think it’s very good looking.
And guess what? Like all the other razors in this thread it shaves great too.

First shave with the double width razor which is billed as “Lordmance” brand on AliExpress:
View attachment 898816
Like the original Strong Leopard this is a BIG razor and I think it’s very good looking.
And guess what? Like all the other razors in this thread it shaves great too.
This was actually my first Antelope-bladed shavette and yes, it's a great shaver. It was my favorite in that blade style until a got my all-metal one with the teardrop cutouts in the handle. Love that razor.

This was actually my first Antelope-bladed shavette and yes, it's a great shaver. It was my favorite in that blade style until a got my all-metal one with the teardrop cutouts in the handle. Love that razor.
Yes that double width style is now one of my favourites too along with the all metal one, the Gold Dollar sifter clone, the single width Three South and of course the leviathan Strong Leopard from the OP.

I’m still really wowed out by the excellence of this cabinet blade format and the variety of fun razors to use them in.

I haven't felt the need to use any other cabinet-blade shavette since I got this "X.Y.P" double-width holder a month or so ago. I like the heft and balance of it. And it's stolen quite a bit of time from my AC kami shavettes. :ohmy:

proxy.php

Top Bottom