What's new

Stretching skin with off-hand

I have never done this... but I read in various threads that it can be helpful. (I do tilt my head to get some stretch, and manipulate my mouth muscles to get some stretch there).

A question--if my face is covered with lather, how am I to use my off-hand to stretch without displacing the lather?

Tip your fingertips with alum if you're going to grab lathered skin, then smooth the lather back on, or do it on "clean skin".

The alum tips work on wet skin too.

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe I can first shave the lather off the high light-growth areas, then grab and pull up for the heavy-growth areas along the lower jaw. Meanwhile, the facial contortions, with 3 or 4 passes, have been working well enough to get 99.8% BBS.

I only do this in a couple 'trouble' spots, but only to straighten the skin out, not to pull it tight. I find the shaves are a lot better, smoother and comfortable with a looser more relaxed face.

I have never done this... but I read in various threads that it can be helpful. (I do tilt my head to get some stretch, and manipulate my mouth muscles to get some stretch there).

A question--if my face is covered with lather, how am I to use my off-hand to stretch without displacing the lather?

I skin stretch quite a bit. Yes, sometime you have to take a stroke or two to get a clean patch to hold on to. From there you can just work your way along on the clean patches as your shave. You can also stretch from outside the shaving area. This works well above the cheeks, for instance. When I skin stretch there, I'm staring off pulling up near my temples.

I stretch the side burns area because it gives me a nice quick close shave. The neck area gets stretched when I look up. I find it much easier to get a nice shave when I do that.

Either reach all the way over your head and pull up or pull down on your neck where there is no lather.

Straight shavers do this regularly.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
For some reason I don't stretch skin with my off hand; I tilt my head back, slightly side to side and puff my cheeks a bit. I get at least a DFS and no irritation.

I skin stretch quite a bit. Yes, sometime you have to take a stroke or two to get a clean patch to hold on to. From there you can just work your way along on the clean patches as your shave. You can also stretch from outside the shaving area. This works well above the cheeks, for instance. When I skin stretch there, I'm staring off pulling up near my temples.

+1

I tried this technique this morning. I shave with the right hand, so I pushed up on the left cheekbone with my off hand while I shaved WTG the left cheek. Didn't do that on the right. When I came back for the ATG pass, the right still had some minimal stubble -- but the left was already near BBS.

It occurred to me later that I could adapt this for my throat. Shave the cheeks first, as I usually do, dry them off, then push up against the dried surface to stretch the skin under my jaw to do my throat. If one pass on the cheeks will suffice to plane me off, then I don't need to re-lather there. I'll see if I can do this tomorrow (which will probably be a simple "one pass on cheeks, two on throat" day anyway).

I’m never hesitant to wipe away residual lather, rinse my hand, and then tap the alum block to give my self a good landing pad to pull traction.

it took me a while, and so good slices, to finally realize that loose skin is asking to be caught by the blade. 😳

proxy.php

@thombrogan has made good use of his "shave binky" for this purpose, which if I understand correctly, is a terry cloth towel. As you've probably experienced yourself, terry cloth retains a high coefficient of friction even in soapy conditions. Terry cloth glove liners are another inexpensive option that offers superior dexterity and quicker drying. The only downside is that you won't be able to talk during the shave.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Gloves ... shaving gloves? Now I've heard it all. Just stretch with bare fingers.

On second thought, surely someone will come up with an even sillier shaving accessory.

Well, that was good for a chuckle.

I had to learn skin-stretching techniques to shave with a straight razor and now I find I use them with a DE too, although not as much. Definitely helps - but everyone's face is different. I guess the older and looser your skin gets the more you'll benefit.

I do it every shave, because I shave with open blade razors. Watch some straight shaving videos if you want to learn how to do it better.

@thombrogan has made good use of his "shave binky" for this purpose, which if I understand correctly, is a terry cloth towel. As you've probably experienced yourself, terry cloth retains a high coefficient of friction even in soapy conditions. Terry cloth glove liners are another inexpensive option that offers superior dexterity and quicker drying. The only downside is that you won't be able to talk during the shave.
[/QUOTE]
I've often thought Thimblettes might be useful

Attachments

• Thimblettes.png
    Thimblettes.png
    705.7 KB · Views: 4
Skin stretching is one of the most important techniques for getting a close and comfortable shave. It’s easier with a straight razor. The straight razor tends to remove almost all of the soap. With a DE a hand towel works well to create a dry patch for grip. A two way stretch is better than a one way stretch.

I had to learn skin-stretching techniques to shave with a straight razor and now I find I use them with a DE too, although not as much. Definitely helps - but everyone's face is different. I guess the older and looser your skin gets the more you'll benefit.
+1- as I've aged my skin has gotten more deep creases and some flabbiness. Stretching has became more important. I can contort my face and move my head in various ways to avoid some stretching, but there are areas on my face and neck that without stretching won't get shaved close. Indeed, there areas that the razor would, without some help, would just miss entirely or dig in- think turkey neck. Older faces may have more character, but they seem more difficult to shave well. Add in a blood thinner, with me it's just an aspirin regimen, and preparation and stretching become important in achieving the best result. I do recommend using a dark colored towel as one advances in age- our home towels are dark grey and burgundy; my pure white towels for shaving went long ago.

I tried this technique this afternoon on a 36-hour beard. As I should have known, it will take some time to get it really right. No nicks or irritation, now, but it does seem to work better on an ATG pass, or perhaps it will also give better results on a 48-hour beard. Still, it was something new!

Top Bottom