What's new

Street photography - take two

I have been running around in my village for two reasons; first and foremost to get some practice of street photography and secondly to try out my sling strap - which is great compared to the complimentary strap. This will definitely be used a lot in the future.

There is room for improvement but given my experience in this matter, I'm not too dissatisfied with the result :001_smile
Unfortunately there wasn't many people on the streets, and I see that I have a tendency to fall back to my comfort zone and shoot nature/landscapes when I get the chance. This will definitely take some practice.

I am not an extroverted person who easily connects to others, and I would have liked to take more shots of the Cadillac but I felt too embarrassed to run around and take a bunch of photos and the same go for the viaduct where the young woman appeared just as I took the photo, I would have liked to take another shot when she was closer, but felt to shy - maybe next time :blush:

Critique and comments are more than welcome, I am here to learn :001_smile

I have made miniatures so it doesn't take forever to load the page - click on the miniature to see the larger version.

Bikes outside a Supermarket

The back of a shopping cart station

Small company's garage

A couple of guys hanging out
with a 1970 Cadillac DeVille

The local RC clubs racetrack

From a school yard

From the school football field
It was the lonely red leaved tree
that caught my eye

Chap on his way home with a pizza

A pedestrian viaduct
under the train tracks

Viaduct take two

Viaduct take three

Stairs from a bridge over the tracks
at the station

great comp!

here's my contribution, pedestrians on devices and oblivious to traffic!

$rhine cruise 2016-05006e.jpg

Very nice shots! Cool chart idea too, that's neat! I haven't been at this longer than a few months either, and I am frightened by people, but once you turn it into a game of sorts, it's great fun. I like when people catch ya sometimes and make a conversation out of it, or sometimes like this one here, you get a very neat contrast in reactions.

I like your shots, Soren. I think you just need more time to warm up to the idea of getting people in the frame and having them as a key part of the composition. It won't happen overnight, but keep at it and you will get there.

It might help if you tell yourself you are just going out to take pictures, and some people might be in them. If you make people shots the specific goal, you might feel very self-conscious while shooting. I know for myself that if I get people in the frame, it is rarely an attempt to specifically get them. They usually just happened to be there. If the camera isn't aimed directly at the person, they don't seem to be bothered by a photographer.

When people 'catch me', I'll give them a thumbs up or something and ask if they'd like to see it. If they seem rather amused I'll ask if they have an E.Mail and send them an edit. After a few times of that too, it helps getting comfortable out there. Still though, a slight feeling of 'oh crap their looking' never seems to go away.

Very nice - I have never seen a cow shopping before, looks pretty much as the way humans do it :wink:

Shooting the street can be a little time consuming, though, a rather enjoyable time consumption. Both of these got a coffee and a few minutes of decent conversation, so all in all, about 45 minutes to get 2 keep-able shots of the 7 or 8 I took. If I shoot the buskers, I always stop and talk awhile, if a random stranger 'catches' me, I'll wave 'em over and show them the picture. The best 'excuse' for running around with a camera that has worked for me so far.., "I work way too much so I'm taking up a new hobby and trying to get the hang of it.". Usually puts people at ease.

No that's not 'Street', that's 'Alley' :lol:

Great shots! I define for myself anything 'Street', to be most things set in the Urban landscape. People, no people, side alley's, architecture, downtown traffic ... etc. etc. etc. etc.

Top Bottom