What's new

Strategies for the neck?

Hi.

The beard on the lower part of my neck grows sideways from the Adam's apple towards the ear.
I am having problems getting a close enough shave in that area. Ideally I want to be able to shave sideways towards the Adam's apple on the ATG pass, but that seems to be quite difficult to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I am in the same boat. Have not figured out anything 100%, but still trying. Currently getting by with a "windshield wiper" motion. Also a "gillette slide" type angled blade motion. neither gets me 100% ATG but WW in 2 different directions and angled GS in 2 different directions or just 1 of each or a combination depending on how my pressure and technique are going and what my skin can handle as a result......gets me pretty darn smooth and I have a very tuff beard. It has taken me a while to get where I am and I hope to get it better. Stay with it and it will improve...slowly

On my chin, where I have that issue and cowlicks on my neck, I shave at a 45° angle from ear to nose, vertically. Seems to be OK, but I’m still working on edge sharpness, shallow angle and light pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m getting close comfortable shaves below the neck shaving WTG, requiring me to change my approach several times to account for hair pattern. I get good results with two WTG passes using a SR, close irritation free shave. Pulling the skin to either side of my Adam’s apple also helps.

I couldn't get a more or less "DFS" in my neck hallows until I started hitting those spots with the toe portion of the edge as opposed to the middle. I also don't stretch those spots downward. I pull my skin upwards and at an angle. It's a bit tricky and weird at first.

I read that piece of advice somewhere on here. It may have been an old thread. The first time I tried it I was like YES! Finally cracked the code for me and my neck.

I couldn't get a more or less "DFS" in my neck hallows until I started hitting those spots with the toe portion of the edge as opposed to the middle. I also don't stretch those spots downward. I pull my skin upwards and at an angle. It's a bit tricky and weird at first.

I read that piece of advice somewhere on here. It may have been an old thread. The first time I tried it I was like YES! Finally cracked the code for me and my neck.

I use that trick too, but I use the toe for one side of the hollow, and the heel for the other.

This is a challenge for me as well. I do 1st pass north to south. 2nd pass is south to north. 3rd pass I start outside and low going up and in (so from lower neck directly below ear up and in towards the adams apple. I am using mostly the toe for this. And at some point the razor has to turn as it comes up the neck to end up heading straight north towards the chin. There is also a bit of the “gillette slide” when I turn the razor so that the blade is more horizontal but the direction of motion is still closer to 45 degrees from vertical.

Not perfect, but gets me closer than anything else I have tried so far.

What worked for me until I got it worked out was to shave the.neck separately. Using a towel on dry cheeks helps you stretch to get those areas. And it.did for me. But wait a while as you will figure it all out sooner than you think..I haven't shaved my neck like that in a long time.

I have 2 circles on one side and one on the other.....hence all this beard mapping is non existent for me...., I actually shave in an X form over it.....

I’ve never been able to really nail the hair on the neck. What a tricky area, especially with a straight.
I do four daily passes, everywhere my face is smooth, yet there are areas on my neck that somehow escape the axe. I mean it’s fine and close but not perfect like I like.
I’d given up trying to map it it’s got a mind off it’s own, until I read this thread.
I’ll concentrate on the neck for tomorrow’s shave and try some of the stretching advice given on this thread.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'm about 500 SR shaves in and still developing my technique to further improve the results on my neck.

All part the enjoyment of SR shaving.

While I am in agreement with anybodys neck technique, the anwer to the main question is everyones neck is different. What works for me may not work for you or anybody else for that matter. What I do is 2 down passes but lean my head forward and look up slightly and stretch my skin so the blade kinda goes at a downward 45. I then finish up in the same manner by going up, and if there is some renaining hairs I switch from hand to hand and kinda touch up here and there. It all sounds complicated but it works for whats going on with my face.

Larry

I have a similar problem with most of the hair growing diagonally downwards left to right with a few chaotic swirly spots thrown in. It's a pain to shave truly WTG and ATG due to the natural shape of the neck (undulations make the edge or tip dig in), bulk / shape of the razor and limits of my contortionist skills...

At the moment I'm largely just settling for downward stokes across the board followed by a bit more water and some upward strokes. It's dead smooth straight aftwards but after 12hrs growth you can feel the difference in length between the areas with a horizontal component and those few areas that grow in the direction I've shaved. A bit frustrating but not a deal-breaker for me currently as I'm still learning and basking in the satisfaction of the quality of my shaves improving noticeably with each successive attempt :)

I did think it might be a good opportunity for a razor with a short, curved blade and minimal handle.. although I don't think such a beast exists (and if it did would likely be a pig to sharpen). As much as it offends my SR-loving mindset I can't help but think a DE might be a better tool for the job given its width, handle orientation and compactness..

I've posted this before, but not in this thread...

I find XTG "impossible" on my neck. Instead, I replace the XTG pass with a second, modified WTG pass. N-S down the centerline, then diagonal chin-shoulder using the "off-side" hand (left hand on right side, right hand on left side, toe of the razor oriented toward my chin). This puts the razor at a different angle of attack as compared to the WTG pass, and in combination with the diagonal stroke gives me an effective stubble reduction to set up for my final ATG pass.

Of course, YMMV.

I have the exact same problem. I have a patch of hair on each side of my neck that grows toward my ears.

I have to tilt my head to the side as far as it will go—to the point where it hurts. Then I pull traction down—hard. Then, holding the razor like a Kamisori, I use the windshield wiper motion to go ATG using the toe of the razor.

It’s the trickiest technique I have to utilize when I shave.

Pulling the skin to either side of my Adam’s apple also helps.

Skin stretching (like the above advice) and mapping the hair on my neck helped me. The hair on the top half of my neck grows down and slightly outward, and the bottom half grows up. Directing the razor slightly outward when I shave the top half helps a lot - nothing exaggerated just slightly outward.

Top Bottom