What's new

Strategic Edge Shooting Club - Chapel Hill, TN

We have an infestation of them, too, and they tried but were unsuccessful in shutting down a club. Moved in, didn't like the pop-pop-pop, sued for an injunction against the club for not having a high enough berm, but club raised enough money for the berm, neighbor friendly fence, and some additional upgrades.

Can you imagine buying a house and not checking out the neighborhood? My fish and game club has had to fend off the incessant complaints, lawsuits, and attempts to zone us out of existence from exactly one family. Who moved in about 40 years after the club was extablished. Cost us a lot of money. We're making improvements just to be a good neighbor, bigger berms and sound barriers, mostly.

The club I belong to is $40/yr for a family membership, 50 yard pistol range, 100 yard rifle range, several skeet runs , and archery range, and like everyone else, 20 minutes from my home. That said, there is a close by LGS with an indoor range at $16/hr. $200 a year for some states doesn't sound outrageous.

We're lucky to have our clubs. I couldn't afford to shoot much at all at such a range.

We're lucky to have our clubs. I couldn't afford to shoot much at all at such a range.
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble your club has been through, especially when you were they before they moved in. What were they thinking you did at a fish and game club - Tupperware parties?

We are very fortunate to have good clubs at a great price. I live in-town (2nd largest city, on a postage stamp size lot) and the fish & game club is my range time haven. I collect my brass, occasionally check the buckets along the line, and reload my .40's and 9mm's. I can only image what my neighbors must think when I'm headed out to the range.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Thanks guys! Doesn't look like anyone here is a member or knows the place. Not surprising though.

Let's move on from the "flatlanders" discussion please.

Good Luck JJ. I bet if you showed up for the USPSA event (Bring eyes and ears) and offered to help set up/break down your membership would be expedited. Willing hands and strong backs often get the first slot open in my club.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think that's this Saturday. Probably can't make it since I've got plans to put up the chicken fence. And I'm pretty sure the nieces and nephews will be here too. Doesn't appear to be a shortage of matches I could volunteer for.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I signed up and I think I'm going to like it. 3 pistol/carbine ranges, 18 rifle positions, a wobble trap, 2 archery ranges, and coming soon...a knife/hatchet throwing range. They let you take your brass, or any brass that's in the buckets. VERY HUGE focus on safety. Bring your own ammo and targets or buy what they have there. Paper targets a buck each. They offer water, coffee, snacks....all a buck each. The clubhouse is on the honor system. Just take what you need and deposit the money in the box.

Overall seems like a great deal for $200 a year.

I went there today to pick up my membership cards. Got there at about 1pm and no one was using the pistol bays. I saw 3 cars down at the rifle ranges.

Good Luck JJ. I bet if you showed up for the USPSA event (Bring eyes and ears) and offered to help set up/break down your membership would be expedited. Willing hands and strong backs often get the first slot open in my club.
He actually doesn't let anyone work the events that is not qualified to shoot on the rifle range. You have to take 2 free safety classes in order to be able to use the rifle range beyond 500 yards (I think that's the yardage). One class lets you shoot out to XX number of yards and the other class lets you shoot out to the full 1250 yards. With each class you get a sticker to put on your badge.

So the members that are qualified to shoot and have taken all the safety classes get asked to work the events.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sounds like a great range! I wish I had one with 1000+ yds!
Maybe one day I'll shoot that far. But for now I just have a .22

They provide 2 carts for the shooters to use to travel down range too.

A much larger local police department drives 30 minutes to use the range. They offer concerned carry classes on Friday evenings/Saturday morning.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A much larger local police department drives 30 minutes to use the range. They offer concerned carry classes on Friday evenings/Saturday morning.
Murfreesboro? Those classes are offered at the range? Their calendar leaves a little to be desired.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It took me a minute to figure out what you must have meant haha. I was thinking "I never heard of such a class"

Sounds nice. I go to the East Texas Rifle and Pistol club. The address says Longview, but they are probably 15-20 miles south of there, just south of Interstate 20. I live about 50 miles south so do not get there as often as I like. It has two longer rifle ranges, one probably 300 yards, separated by berms. Along with those, on the lower level is a action pistol range, a separate bullseye pistol range, indoor restrooms, a new clubhouse/classroom, and a large open area for archery. Around and on top of the hill is a trap range, I think 5 stand, a couple of traps for informal shotgun, and then several pistol ranges, cannot remember how many, all separated by berms.
When I started there a few years ago there was only a part time range officer there, on weekends, and he had a lot of area to cover. Apparently he is there daily now, as I talked to him the last time I was there during the week. I was surprised when he told me we had paying members from as far away as Houston and Dallas.

Dues are $115 year. I probably only get over there ever couple of months , so not cheap, but better than my former range which was a pain to get into, having to get out and unlock a worn out padlock on a cattle gate, close it behind you. and my wide did not like smelly portapotties set out, plus it was $60/year more. When I saw the ETRP club it was a no brainer, plus roads there are much better although it was another 15 miles.

My sister and I still have our deceased parents house over in NE Louisiana and the Parish has and excellent public range run by the sheriffs dept that is about 3 miles from the house so I am over there quite frequently, enough to be on a first name basis with most of the range officers

We have a great range in the next county. 10.00 for all day, 5.00 for vets. This pic was taken before finished.
logo5.png
slider5.jpg

Yes, there's a state sponsored range in Antioch. Looks like it's $8/ 2 hours:

Stones River Hunter Education Center - TN.Gov

I'm not trying to thread jump, just offering options. Back on topic, the Chapel Hill range is locally owned. I don't know the owner, but his sons are very respectful young men. They worship at our church when visiting their grandfather.

My name came up on the waiting list and it would have been a no brainier for me since it's just a few miles away. Since then I've come into a place where I can shoot without disturbing anyone so I'm not sure if I'll join. Though, the long rifle range is certainly a standout feature.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm out in Shelbyville so the Antioch range is a bit further from me.

Top Bottom