What's new

Strange occurrences in my house - hoping for logical explanations but doubtful.

So, for about the past three weeks, some odd things have been going in my house. The four most notable are:

1. A mirror that was hung very securely on a long nail fell off the wall and broke while we were all gone at work/school.
2. My beloved badger portrait (that was also hung very securely) fell off the wall and broke. The nail is still intact in the wall - it didn't give.
3. A jar of my wife's cream wax literally exploded in the bathroom cabinet. We had to use metal scrapers and mineral oil to clean it up, and it took over an hour to do - at bedtime last night. We went to bed over an hour late because of it.
4. My Father's Day gift (a nice dark blue polo shirt) has gone missing completely. I wore it once and it's nowhere to be found. We are all caught up on laundry and it's just gone.

If anyone has any input here, I'd love to hear it. I do believe in the supernatural because I grew up in a house that had something severely wrong with it. I don't get that feeling from this house though. It doesn't feel malevolent at all. Any thoughts?

yep. you have a ghost. and it hates mirrors, badgers, dark blue and cream wax. hidden camera footage has captured it...

$tumblr_mqreme06Ye1syik4qo1_500.gif

who ya gonna call?

seriously though, that's weird. I have no idea.

Well, any ghost that hates badgers isn't welcome in my house... unless it wants to travel to China, skin some Manchurian badgers, and bring me back their pelts.

Ghosts are always accused of such mundane antics. How come they never do anything exciting, like grab the cat by the tail and swing it around like a lasso while the family is eating dinner?

"I am thy father's spirit, doomed for a certain term to make your life a little bit more inconvenient, but not too inconvenient, or too weird, because that would be downright rude."

Last edited:
Ghosts are always accused of such mundane antics. How come they never do anything exciting, like grab the cat by the tail and swing it around like a lasso while the family is eating dinner?

Good question... maybe the only people who become ghosts are people who didn't do exciting things in life either? Then it would stand to reason that they wouldn't go acting all different once they're dead. Just a guess.

In complete seriousness (I think I've told this story before):

When I was a little kid, I woke up in the middle of the night one Christmas Eve, because I was thirsty and wanted a glass of milk. I stumbled into the kitchen and noticed that the dishwasher door was open and down, parallel to the floor. When I looked up, I saw a translucent specter, bent over, rummaging through the dishwasher. Given the day and time and my age, my first thought was "Santa Claus!" That's all I can remember. I don't remember exactly what the specter looked like, or what happened after I saw it. To this day, I don't know whether it was a dream, a hallucination or an apparition. That's been my only "supernatural experience."

My only suggestion would be that extreme heat can cause swelling in walls and cosmetic products and maybe that is an explanation for the first three occurrences.

are you sure your place wasnt broken into and items stolen?

if you believe it could be the "spirits" from the otherside..well..I would suggest "saging" your house and every inch of it...

Last edited by a moderator:
The heat thing is all I was able to come up with for the cream wax exploding. Problem is, my house is a constant 74 degrees. That may seem "hot" to people who keep their thermostats at 70, but it's comfortable for me.

Well maybe someone has been living in your house while you are all away, this person might have issues that likes a little destruction... anyone know of chemical reactions to make cream explode? Unless it just was releasing gas and exploded from the pressure...

1. A mirror that was hung very securely on a long nail fell off the wall and broke while we were all gone at work/school.
2. My beloved badger portrait (that was also hung very securely) fell off the wall and broke. The nail is still intact in the wall - it didn't give.

the wire or string that runs over the nail wore out.
could it be vibrations? from A furnace, a fan, an air conditioner, a computer, a well pump, a toilet flushing, anything with a motor, a stereo. people walking
or Traffic.
or foundational settling or changes in floor tilt.
or earthquake.
or jets flying low over the house

3. A jar of my wife's cream wax literally exploded in the bathroom cabinet.

the pressure in the jar was greater on the inside than the outside. pressure is proportional to temperature when the volume of a container is held constant.

4. My Father's Day gift (a nice dark blue polo shirt) has gone missing completely. I wore it once and it's nowhere to be found. We are all caught up on laundry and it's just gone.

it has gone to the same mysterious place that socks disappear to.

Last edited:

it has gone to the same mysterious place that socks disappear to.
I didn't want to be the first guy to say it but... underpants gnomes?

I'm calling "vibrations from outside (truck passing or the like)" on the pix, don't know about the blow-up, and the shirt is covered by something that was laid on top of it casually, that you will NEVER get to cover it if you try to do so. This last is part of a group of phenomena that includes the stiff heavy power cord that ties itself into a knot in the case, and the dropped item that rolls/slides directly under the middle of the car, though normally it has the friction coefficient of velcro

Do you ever have any low flying aircraft buzz your place? I rarely do, but when it happens the windows and everything in the house shakes.

Or could you have some critters getting into your house. Is there a fireplace where a squirrel or other large animal could enter?

I bet the shirt turns up somewhere or maybe your wife didn't like it after all. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Do you ever have any low flying aircraft buzz your place? I rarely do, but when it happens the windows and everything in the house shakes.

Or could you have some critters getting into your house. Is there a fireplace where a squirrel or other large animal could enter?

I bet the shirt turns up somewhere or maybe your wife didn't like it after all. :)
Agreed, there is a logical explanation, it just hasn't been discovered yet. Humans are sometimes too quick to assign supernatural causes to things they don't understand.

Top Bottom