What's new

strange looking Yemen Coffee - CBS Sunday morning

I do not believe this video adequately explains the Yemeni coffee that is being brewed. The relevant part does not start until around minute 2:20. Have you seen this type of coffee? It does not look your typical ground roasted coffee. One bag looks like coarsely ground unroasted coffee, another bag to include ground flakes, and a couple different finely ground like Turkish but one looks green/yellow and barely roasted.

Have you ever drank any of these odd looking ones? How does it compare to Ethiopian or other African coffees?

Nice find! Yemeni was my first love when I got into specialty coffee, even back then it was limited. I have some experience with the coffees being shown, but off the top of my head I don't know what to say about them. You would need to listen to a documentary about the history and current culture of drinking coffee in the Arab communities. Some of what you are seeing if Kahwa Arabia or white coffee, un-roasted.

Thanks, that is interesting. When I search I found
"Qahwa is a traditional Arabic Coffee Recipe that is most popular Arabian cuisine. Qahwa is made from green coffee beans and cardamom. "​
So some of that powder mixed in must be the cardamom. I also saw a recipe that used lightly roasted coffee.

I believe one of the reasons it's pre-ground is because it's not expected most people have the equipment to grind green coffee. I guess the tan colored grounds are lightly roasted, I have only been served green. Traditionally, there were people that had all the production equipment, like a hot dog cart, and roasted, ground and brewed your coffee.

Top Bottom