What's new

Strange Liquour Laws

So we all have em I'm sure. But sometimes I feel Utah takes the cake, here are just a couple:

• 3.2% Beer Only unless it is brewed in the state then it doesn't matter, but anything higher than 3.2% has to be sold in State ran Liquor Stores
  • There must be a sign up at every Restaurant or Bar at the door that clearly states "This is a Restaurant" or "This is a Bar"
  • Only beer can be sold in grocery stores. Hard alcohol is sold in State ran liquor stores. Utah has a monopoly on liquor stores
  • (recently taken off the books) A barrier must be placed at the bar in a Restaurant (think Applebee's or Chilis etc) that prevents patrons from seeing drinks being mixed. Referred to by locals as the zion curtain.
  • Starting in December DUI is no longer .08 it is now .05

The last one is causing quite the uproar. I have my opinions. Personally am obviously against driving while intoxicated but with the law at .05 I am afraid to even have one glass of wine while at dinner with my lovely wife.

Do you have any strange liquor laws where you are?

Just for reference:

These are the signs:
proxy.php

This is the zion curtain

proxy.php

Yes that is what Chili's etc used to look like until July 1st when that law was taken off the books.

Colorado still has 3.2 If it is sold in the stands an event, 3.2 is it, though if you leave your seat many stadiums have liquor and full beer at the bars. 3.2 only in grocery & convenience stores, no wine or liquor. Until recently 3.2 was all you could purchase on Sunday. State property - parks, lakes, campgrounds, etc., only 3.2 allowed.

0.8 is still the limit here, 0.4 can get you an impairment charge if the office can articulate your impairment. Amazes me we set an arbitrary limit, sort of encourages folks to drink & drive. Many European countries have 0.0 as the limit. I drink enough I have a high tolerance, my wife however, one glass of wine and she can't hardly walk and would only be about a 0.2. I keep it simple, if I'm driving, I don't drink.

DUI is. 08 in NY. It is extremely rare that I have anything if I am not at home. Even at home I tend to keep it limited, as I don't need to embarrass myself in front of my wife and kids.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No alcohol sales on Sunday in Minnesota until just a few weeks ago (7/1/17). Supermarkets can only sell 3.2 beer.

Many European countries have 0.0 as the limit.

I could be wrong but I thought that they have a tiered system for example something like this:

.01-.03 Ticket like a speeding ticket
.04-.07 Arrest fines etc
.08 and up lose your license

I could be WAY off but I thought it was something like that.

Usually when we go out I do not drink at a restaurant because it is so expensive but occasionally I do like a glass of wine when the wife and I go out to dinner.

We have a famous case here where a guy got a DUI riding a bike on the sidewalk. It's considered a motor vehicle.

My brother lives in Utah and told me about the Zion curtain law. Seems kinda crazy.

I could be wrong but I thought that they have a tiered system for example something like this:

.01-.03 Ticket like a speeding ticket
.04-.07 Arrest fines etc
.08 and up lose your license

I could be WAY off but I thought it was something like that.

Usually when we go out I do not drink at a restaurant because it is so expensive but occasionally I do like a glass of wine when the wife and I go out to dinner.

I don't know about those. Relatives in Sweden tell me it is 0.0 Looking at Wiki I see Sweden 0.02 can get you up to 6 months in jail, 0.1 can get 2 years. Several countries are 0.0, many are 0.02 and a few go 0.05 or 0.08.

I feel it should be based on impairment, not everyone processes alcohol the same. As I mentioned earlier, my tolerance is much higher than the wife's. Interestingly, when Colorado legalized pot many lawmakers argued against a specified level due to different folks processing it differently. Hmmm.

Back to dumb laws - at one time here you could not carry a drink to another table in a bar, you had to get the server to carry it for you.

For me the biggest one for you guys in US is that minimum drinking age is 21 in most states, while minimum age to enroll in army is 17 with parent's permission and 18 without (unverified information on my part, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

In my view, they should be the same, old enough to serve, old enough to vote, you should be able to consume alcohol.

I don't know about those. Relatives in Sweden tell me it is 0.0 Looking at Wiki I see Sweden 0.02 can get you up to 6 months in jail, 0.1 can get 2 years. Several countries are 0.0, many are 0.02 and a few go 0.05 or 0.08.

I feel it should be based on impairment, not everyone processes alcohol the same. As I mentioned earlier, my tolerance is much higher than the wife's. Interestingly, when Colorado legalized pot many lawmakers argued against a specified level due to different folks processing it differently. Hmmm.

Back to dumb laws - at one time here you could not carry a drink to another table in a bar, you had to get the server to carry it for you.

The limits is 0,2 for DUI and 1,0 for serious DUI (with harsher sentences).

I think the problem with measuring impairment is, how do you measure it? People can argue that they take their alcohol better than others but how do they prove it? You need some extensive tests to get a picture of that and it seems way more effective and clean cut to impose a limit.

MA prohibits Happy Hour if it results in selling drinks at a discount. In CO you can ride a horse while intoxicated.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A barrier must be placed at the bar in a Restaurant (think Applebee's or Chilis etc) that prevents patrons from seeing drinks being mixed. Referred to by locals as the zion curtain.

Patrons waiting for their drinks at the first such curtain ever constructed.

proxy.php

Hear in NC.. An distillery was only allowed to sell one bottle person per year...As a few weeks ago, now you can buy five bottles per person per year..

Top Bottom