What's new

Stranahan’s single malt whiskey

Picked up a bottle of Stranahan’s 100% barley single malt American style whiskey and find it to be an excellent whiskey. It’s made in Colorado so I don’t know how widely available it is, but I would definitely recommend it if you are ever in the mood. It’s not bourbon and it not trying to be Scotch, but to me it is very, very good.

Cheers.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Stranahans is good stuff. I’m not sure I’ve had their single malt though. If you ever get a chance to try their Snowflake release I highly recommend it. It’s nearly impossible to find, but worth it.

Last edited:
Stranahans is good stuff. I’m not sure I’ve had their single malt though. If you ever get a chance to try their Snowflake release I highly recommend it. It’s nearly impossible to find, but worth it.
I guess Snowflake is hard to find, according to their website it is available only one day in December per year. From their website:

A WINTER’S BOUNTY AVAILABLE ONCE A YEAR
As in nature, no two snowflakes are ever alike. Using a variety of unique barrels from all over the globe, our limited-release Snowflake whiskey batches are first aged to fruition no less than two years in new white American oak barrels with a #3 char, before transferring the finished whiskey into used wine, sherry, cognac, rum & tequila barrels, absorbing the uniquely rich flavors from the casks. Snowflake is available one day each December at our distillery.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
One day?! That's ridiculous.
Yep. One day. People start camping in line a week in advance. I’ve only had it once. A friend of mine from HS married a guy that is one of the folks that will brave a Colorado winter and wait in line. They sent me a 2oz sample about 6yrs ago. I’m pretty sure it’s only sold from the distillery, so you have to go to Colorado to get a bottle.

Well, I’m glad the regular 100% barley malt is more generally available as I find it to be excellent.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yep. One day. People start camping in line a week in advance. I’ve only had it once. A friend of mine from HS married a guy that is one of the folks that will brave a Colorado winter and wait in line. They sent me a 2oz sample about 6yrs ago. I’m pretty sure it’s only sold from the distillery, so you have to go to Colorado to get a bottle.

They've postponed last year's release date twice and have yet to set a new date. I know some folks that are losing their minds about it. I don't understand that how anyone can spend that sort of bandwidth worrying about a bottle of whiskey (much less camping out for days for one), but I've come to expect such things in today's world.

For the record, I liked Stranahan's when I've tried it, but I'd be lying if I said it did anything for me. Anyone who knows much about my taste in whisk(e)y shouldn't be surprised to hear that. It's good stuff, and I am glad they are doing well with it. Perhaps I should give it another try. It's been a while.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't understand that how anyone can spend that sort of bandwidth worrying about a bottle of whiskey (much less camping out for days for one), but I've come to expect such things in today's world.

It's in Colorado, right?

Colorado ... where people lined up for days to get an In-N-Out Burger when it opened up.

It's "their thing".

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don't understand that how anyone can spend that sort of bandwidth worrying about a bottle of whiskey (much less camping out for days for one), but I've come to expect such things in today's world.
When I moved to Grand Rapids I felt the same way about the yearly KBS release. The line to buy the limit of 2 4packs at $25 a pop would stretch literally for a mile sometimes. I sometimes wonder what all those people are doing now that KBS is in regular production now.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Colorado ... where people lined up for days to get an In-N-Out Burger when it opened up.

It's "their thing".

It's not just Colorado. You should have seen it around here when Voodoo Donuts, In-N-Out, Pollo Campero, and a couple other things opened up here. I don't know if it was 14 hours, but there definitely were folks camping out. In any event, it's all over, and it has more to do with bragging rights than it does the qualities of the product.

When I moved to Grand Rapids I felt the same way about the yearly KBS release. The line to buy the limit of 2 4packs at $25 a pop would stretch literally for a mile sometimes. I sometimes wonder what all those people are doing now that KBS is in regular production now.

They aren't standing in line, anymore!

Actually, I have a sort of funny story about that. I good friend of mine grew up near Flint, and his mother still lives around there. She and a bunch of her friends would go stand in line to pick stuff up for him, and he would then mule it back to Houston. I love the idea of a bunch of septuagenarian women standing in line for KBS.

It's in Colorado, right?

It's "their thing".

It's not my thing! 😉 I'll drink it but won't wait in line. Colorado has gotten so ridiculously woked up, essentially since the legalization of rec weed. I've been here since 1974, live in the city, climbed all the 14ers many times, have watched this city and state become Californicated. Have passed the crazy line at the old Brewery, taken over as a distillery a number of years ago. The whisky is very good. George Stranahan just passed away, well known Coloradoan of the Champion Spark Plug family, entrepreneur, Woody Creek resident. Brilliant man!

Top Bottom