What's new

Straights from my dad

Hi all,

As my father learned of my new found hobby (;)), he just dropped these straight razors off. When I google them, not much comes up. Any ideas on these?

Extra information yellow handle:
Case says: Made from Kayser Ellison & Co's Best Schoffteld Silver Steel
On the Blade, one side it says Solingen.Other side Rapsodie. Still little visable on the blad: Solingen

$IMG188.jpg$IMG191.jpg$IMG192.jpg

Extra information black handle:
Case says: Merx & Co. Sollingen - Wald
Blade side 1: Best Qualitait, Tuckmar, the rest I can not read.
Blade side 2: Welt Ruf,Schutz Marke, Solingen EE....
Number 288
$IMG189.jpg
$IMG190.jpg
I only gave them a little rub and dried them. Anyone knows something about these German (I think) razors?

Very thoughtful gift from your father. Both are restoreable razors. The Tuckmar just needs a cleaning and honing. As Jred said, the Rhapsodie will need a bit of work on a hone to correct the frown.
You may or may not have guessed but the boxes/cases don't match the razors and are from completely different manufacturers.

Tuckmar is a well-known brand of Tuckmantel & Martin, a Solingen razor maker who has been in business since before 1920.
They are still in business today as fabricators of steel hooks and steel specialty parts.
They appear to have not used the Tuckmar brand since 1982 and the Tuckmar trademark expired in North America in November of 2011.

Rhapsodie was a trademarked brand of Solingen knife and razor maker Norbert Koppel. There isn't really much information that I've found except that the company was in business as early as 1925.

Very thoughtful gift from your father. Both are restoreable razors. The Tuckmar just needs a cleaning and honing. As Jred said, the Rhapsodie will need a bit of work on a hone to correct the frown.
You may or may not have guessed but the boxes/cases don't match the razors and are from completely different manufacturers.

Tuckmar is a well-known brand of Tuckmantel & Martin, a Solingen razor maker who has been in business since before 1920.
They are still in business today as fabricators of steel hooks and steel specialty parts.
They appear to have not used the Tuckmar brand since 1982 and the Tuckmar trademark expired in North America in November of 2011.

Rhapsodie was a trademarked brand of Solingen knife and razor maker Norbert Koppel. There isn't really much information that I've found except that the company was in business as early as 1925.

Thank you so much for the information, Peter! I will search for a person who can restore these two.

Top Bottom