What's new

Straightrazorplace Limited Edition at www.classicshaving.com

Ok the bug has bitten me good, only a week after switching to DE for the first time, I'm thinking of getting my first straight razor to try alongside my Merkur.

I've signed up and done a bit of reading on http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/index.php , and have decided I want to get a decent first razor which will last me and not make me want to upgrade in a few months. I'm looking at either a basic Dovo, or preferably the "Straightrazorplace" Limited Edition on sale at www.classicshaving.com. I figure if it's been designed by Lynn Abrams then it can't be too bad, the bonus of buying from Classicshaving is that I can get it honed by Lynn as well.

Seems like a good idea to me, any thoughts? Anyone own a "Straightrazorplace" razor?

Cheers,

Iwan

I would ask some of the honemeisters at SRP if they have any shave ready straights to sell. Put a post in the buy/sell/trade forum and I am sure you will get some responses.

This will be alot less expensive than the SRP straight. You never know, you might end up not liking to shave with a straight. If you lke it then you can purchase more straights.

One word of warning. RAD is especially bad among straight razor users.

JMT said:
I would ask some of the honemeisters at SRP if they have any shave ready straights to sell. Put a post in the buy/sell/trade forum and I am sure you will get some responses.

This will be alot less expensive than the SRP straight. You never know, you might end up not liking to shave with a straight. If you lke it then you can purchase more straights.

One word of warning. RAD is especially bad among straight razor users.

I agree completely with JMT, I wouldn't spend the coin on this razor (regardless of how good it may be) if you're just getting into straight shaving. There are lots of great shavers that are sold shave-ready and I would try one of those before jumping in. On the other hand, you can likely sell the razor used for minimal loss if you don't like it, but the same is true for any razor - the issue is just how much of a "shave" you are willing to take.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, you do have a good point there. I've had a look on the websites of some of the honemeisters, and couldn't see anything I liked the look of that was also in my price range. I'll have another look though.

If I do buy new, i think it'll be ok either way as a) i can't see me not getting on with it, and b) the exchange rate is pretty good at the moment making a new razor in that price bracket comfortably within reach.

I'll give it some more thought though, thanks for the advice. :)

Another suggestion would be to try a Dovo Shavette. It is not exactly the same as a traditional straight but it is pretty close and with none of the maintenance involved. This would definitely be an inexpensive way to try straight razor shaving.

FYI, I used the shavette, but liked a traditional straight much more, as I found the pointy corners of the shavette would bite, which didn't happen as much with razors that were rounded at the tip and heel.

Honing stroping wasn't that hard to do, but did take a lot of time to get good at it.

Bill Ellis, Lynn and Joe Chandler often have refurbished, shave ready razors for under $50. Try this thread...

Bill's wite is Billy's Blades (linked in the thread) though he's not showing any blades for sale right now.

Joe Chandlers site is ferretwriter... (also linked) and he has 10 razors listed, all ready to go, ranging from $35 to $60. I've dealt with Joe and have always been happy with his services.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6759

Matt

Post a want-to-buy in the trading section on SRP, the various honemeisters will pop out of the woodworks. Make sure you check your PM's, as a lot of replies will come that way instead of through the forum.

Cheers guys, currently I'm mulling over all of the above options as well as a PM from Forestryprof, hopefully I'll make my mind up shortly!

:smile:

Hey just a heads up,
I have 2 of the SRP razors from Thiers Issard as well as several Dovo's, and perhaps a hundred or two of their relatives...
The SRP limited edition razor is nice, but it isn't something that shaves better based on Lynn's input or anything. It is a similar concept to our brush. The forum agreed on a unique wood for the scales, we all wanted it to identify itself as being from our forum (Straightrazorplace) and TI was the manufacturer chosen at the time to make the razor, although Shavemac and Dovo both were high in the running. Lynn's signature is on each razor (as is the number) because he is the founder of the site. Ray Dupont (may he rest in peace) honored Lynn with serial No. 1.
As for the shave, it is not any better than another TI of similar make. It is simply a limited edition.
FWIW two of the best shaving straights out of the box I've ever had were Dovo's. One was a Dovo special (5/8") imitation tortoiseshell scales, about 100 bucks, made from Swedish steel *incidentally, so were the famed Dubl Duck "wonderedge" razors* and it shaved beautifully right out of the box;http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/190288.htm
the other was a Dovo "Bismarck" which I purchased from David Wessel. Beautiful razor, its shave is as beautiful as the razor itself. Available at classicshaving:
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522940/186369.htmAlso less than the SRP limited edition. In fact, that Bismarck is worth having 2 or 3 of....
If you want the SRP, go for it, but if you want to SHAVE with it, buy 2, and keep the other safe for a rainy day....
Otherwise, you can get an equal shave for a lot less cash both new or from some of the members on SRP...
John P.

Hi John, thanks for the info. I'm looking at several options at the moment but currently top of my list is a pre-honed Dovo being sold by one of the honemeisters from SRP, for $79. I'll continue looking around at my options and make a decision in the next day or two.

Cheers all. :smile:

The decision has been made, I just ordered one of these from one of the SRP honemeisters. Dovo bone handled bismarck 6/8. :)

proxy.php

That is one purdy razor. Especially for $79. Heck, that's a third the price of a "better than new" aristocrat.

Yes, I bought a Joe Chandler restoration a week ago, and I am loving it. It was $50, a repolished/handled Lakeside Cutlery Co. razor. His honing skills are amazing.

I'm a knife nut, so I know a good edge when i feel one. The edge he put on that razor was super fine. I felt it bite quite nicely during the "thumbnail" test, but never felt a single bit of roughness (or serration), just a nice long pull. It was sharp enough to use for beard trimming (hanging hairs).

I will be buying a second straight once this week's check is in my acct. That way, I have one razor to use while the other is in the mail for re-honing :001_smile

Erm, well the price crept a little. A standard Dovo with plastic handle was $79, this one was £110. Still a lot cheaper than buying in the UK though. With the exchange rate the way it is I almost get a strop for free. :smile:

catatonic said:
I'm a knife nut, so I know a good edge when i feel one. The edge he put on that razor was super fine. I felt it bite quite nicely during the "thumbnail" test, but never felt a single bit of roughness (or serration), just a nice long pull. It was sharp enough to use for beard trimming (hanging hairs).

I use my straight for beard and sideburn trimming all the time. I love a sharp blade.

On the other question, the way to break into straights is definitely with a used blade, professionally honed by a master, then buy a second blade to practice your own honing on.

Orest

Iwan said:
Erm, well the price crept a little. A standard Dovo with plastic handle was $79, this one was £110. Still a lot cheaper than buying in the UK though. With the exchange rate the way it is I almost get a strop for free. :smile:
Okay I have to ask... did you mean 79 dollars and then 110 British pounds? I mean if I am not mistaken 110 pounds is very roughly 220 US dollars.

Sorry long day, no the basic Dovo was $79 and the bone handled bismarck was $110. The bone handled bismarck is £90 in the UK.

Top Bottom