What's new

Straight suggestions a.k.a. Take My Money!!!

I have a few vintage straights but was thinking of getting a new one just so I can compare. So far, I've been leaning toward the Dovo Bismarck or Bergischer Lowe. I like what I have read about Thiers Issard and how smooth the French steel is but I also have heard that they don't really have even plunge lines and sometimes there are cosmetic flaws that TI chalks up to being a handmade product, which would irk me a little if I'm being honest. The Grim Blades Grim Dollar is interesting but I'm leery because its sooo inexpensive. I prefer a round point but am open to others as well (note the above models).

Before I pull the trigger on a new production razor I figured I'd collect some anecdotal evidence from those of you who have been doing this a while. I'm setting a budget of <$300 but I'm not afraid of spending much less than that if the razor is good AND inexpensive.

So, what say you?

I say these two things:

1) Make it so your post doesn't look like you quoted yourself; that way it won't have to be expanded to be read and the type will be larger, so it will be easier to read; and

2) Post it in the correct subforum. There is a straight razor subforum, but it appears you posted this thread in the single edge forum. You will find a lot more experience with straight razors among the people who frequent the straight razor subforum.

Sorry that I don't know the direct answer to your question.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hi Walter, I have moved this thread to the correct forum. I hope that the members here can help you out.

I have no complaints with these 'crappy' new Dovo's

C8675270-1253-430B-9C88-47D3E83D1C04.jpg
CD31BD4A-8EF8-4027-9EF8-86426AB0773C.JPG

I think you are going to find “Best” quality around $100-120 not to your liking; however they will be ok if you dont mind the issues that come with it. Its an entry level razor and it shows.

look at the razors above mentioned by you, ive not heard anyone complain about BLs or bismarcks but they are very different style blades. Not just in profile, but grind and size. The BL is def not a round point but spanish point.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A new BL or Bismarck should be just fine. I have several Dovo Bismarcks, both new-bought and vintage, and there seems to be no difference in quality. Some new ones have fancier scales, is all. Have not owned a BL but I had a Prima Klang that was great. The "Best" IMHO are exactly the wrong razor for a beginner unless they are first honed properly by someone who understands the razor. Same with the "Special" and the Conk rebrands. Midrange to top shelf Dovos are IYAM quite nice razors. All of the Bismarck style razors are very ergonomic, nice to hone, strop, and shave with.

You might want to have a look at the Revisor site.

Ralf Aust is very popular though I have yet to try one out. A Wacker might stress your budget a bit but Herr Wacker is a true old school razorsmith and his blades are seriously pedigreed.

Koraat straight razors from Austria are in my opinion the best, especially if you up your price to around €500 mark, then you can purchase a Damascus Blade.
proxy.php

You won’t own it, you’ll be looking after it for the next generation ( Patek Phillipe quote)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second an entry level Koraat at around $300, stupid good quality for the money. Or Art Razor is also very good quality for the money.

I haven't liked the look of the BLs, especially at their price point. I've got a Bismark that's a fine razor, but I don't use it anymore. the ergonomics just don't quite do it for me these days. that's me. plenty of others like them fine.

another brand not mentioned yet is Thiers Issard. they've had a reputation for being warped/wonky on occasion, but I picked up a Le Grelot stamped C135 TI blank 6/8 with plastic scales for $130 and I really like the steel and design of it. straight as an arrow too.

Aust's have a sterling reputation for fit and finish, but I've never held one. Revisors aren't bad either I'm told.

it looks like you're interested in 5-6/8 hollows, of which there are plenty of new offerings. there are also some artisan makers doing generally 1/2-1/4 hollows below $300. often out of O1 tool steel.

a new blade isn't going to necessarily be any better than a well maintained vintage, it'll just be newer, at a higher price point generally is my experience. I do understand the urge to try a new one though.

TBH i would get a vintage razor they are honed ok to try then when you get into it buy a new razor but the dovo bismark are very good razors i have both a vintage one and a new one love both of them as Slash McCoy said above.

I have more than a dozen Dovos and I love them all. I have also bought, honed, shaved and sold or traded a dozen more Dovos. All were great razors.

Of course it is my subjective opinion, but I can only speak from my own experience obviously.
I'd be more than willing to try another one out if someone sent me one to try, but I'm not wasting more money on a gamble..

Which Dovo models so you have experience with? i only have 2, an old "new" B-L and a vintage "1",neither are exactly new models.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The crappy Dovos are the entry level models. Worst offender I believe is the ironically named "Best Quality". Bismarck on up are pretty good, new or vintage, in my experience.

More “crappy” Dovo’s, still no complaints.

256B1B70-292E-410F-8E25-52A99134BA22.jpeg

62F36C01-2294-4ED0-8BA8-9A9A0D340B60.jpeg

FF639C3E-8FB1-41AF-82D0-B440576390B3.jpeg

I’ve honed more that 20 BQ’s 5&6/8 with German and Swedish steel without issues or complaints. In that batch only 1 needed correction on the heel side shoulder.

87B2EA16-0EDF-41C9-9921-9BF8283A01CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CCR
Top Bottom