What's new

Straight suggestions a.k.a. Take My Money!!!

Which Dovo models so you have experience with? i only have 2, an old "new" B-L and a vintage "1",neither are exactly new models.
Never tried a vintage Dovo, but I had 2 Best Quality, one was a 5/8 and the 2nd was a 6/8
I did not own both at the same time, the first one was warped, the second I don't remember the issue with, but I sent the 2nd one out to Rasurpur when he was still in business, (I believe he retired) and he told me about a few issues the blade had, I was still pretty new then, and I traded that Dovo in for another razor I from him.
That was NOT a Dovo, it was however a modern solingen, and it was just as bad as the Dovos.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that all modern Solingen brands get their blanks from the same supplier, so I suspect that the blanks used are not that great or the QC is lacking.
Either way, this has turned me off from all modern Solingen razors.

My Best Quality full hollow Dovo 5/8 has been fine. It has touched my 12k syn finisher and my pasted balsa strop progression, that's it. Nothing wonky about the blade or the bevel. My Dovo Barbarossa shorty in inox, same story.

I am not necessarily a Dovo fan. I have owned a few; most were alright. However some years back, Jarrod over at Superior Shave acquired a supply of Dovo special run razors called "the Palisander". 6/8 Bismarck style blade, no wash or engraving, nicely fitted Palisander wood scales (go figure). They were priced right and if I recall went pretty quickly. They have become rather rare. I cherish mine and highly doubt I would ever part with it. It is easily on a par with razors of the same class made by T-I, Boker and some
IMG_2867 2.jpg
others.

I would recommend a Gold Dollar from China. The steel is of good quality, but the condition right out of the factory is crappy. They are dull and the geometry has failures, but you can make great straights out of them. Invest a little effort and you got a very well made straight. Most of the straights with the exception of the custom makers are not what I would call shave ready, so you have to put them on the stones anyway.

These are Gold Dollar 66 razors, that were done by myself for the gold dollar mod contest that Badger & Blade has every year.

20180630_125255.jpg20180630_125318.jpg
20180630_125135.jpg20180630_124222.jpg

Once you get the issues sorted out, and thinned down to get a good bevel they are very good razors.

• Love
Reactions: CCR
I've got about ten new Dovo razors (a bit more than that too I'm afraid) so if I said that I dislike them I'd be either a liar or rather dumb. The five versions I've got of the modern Bismarck series may look differently, but they are the same very good blade and a joy to look at. The others are versions of their standard 5/8 razor, I nearly forgot I've got the 5/8 Bergischer Löwe too.

What I dislike is the very crude scales on the standard 5/8 razors, and my black Bismarck, in my opinion the scales on the Flowing, Carre and Bergischer Löwe are fine, those razors are also Dovo's to of the line razors.

I find that, regardless of model, the grind of the modern Dovo razors are a bit thicker than that of the other Solingen razors, except for my one and only Revisor which is comparable to Dovo. The Dovo grind is still okay though. The grind of the Bergischer Löwe is actually very good.

If we only go back to the early 2000's the Dovo scales were top of the line, the etching was too, which it isn't today, and the grind was thinner fully comparable to the current production of brands like Wacker, Aust and Böker. Something has happened to Dovo.

Finally none of my new Dovo razors has been even remotely shave ready on delivery.

What I write above might seem critical, but I quite like my current production Dovo razors. It's just that I like my older Dovos more. Actually the older ones are truly great. It seems as if something happened to Dovo just about when Daniel Craig as 007 was shaved with one.

So I like Dovo, but it's far from an unconditional love.

Top Bottom