What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - Luc

Fella's, the below interview with Luc, as im sure you've guessed... with the enormous amount of work he does at the B&B, is an absolute joy to read!

Thanks Luc!!

Who are you?
My name is Luc, I’m a French Canadian currently exiled in Australia for study purposes (that would be SWMBO's fault). It now my fourth year in the land of OZ and loving it! I work in IT as a Business Analyst down in Melbourne, Australia.

Where are you located?
Melbourne Australia at the moment, the next move should be back to Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

How do you take your coffee?
Black. The darker the better! I try to limit myself to 1 cup a day but I usually end-up with 2 cups… 3 if no one look…

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
I used an electric razor 3 times in my life when I was 15 and had so much irritation that my Dad decided to show me how to use a Gillette Sensor. I quickly moved to Mach3 and used it for years. Of course I tried the Fusion and the Quattro without much enthusiasm. I always saw shaving as a chore and avoided it as much as I could. I tried a shavette for a while but only shaved on Sundays, I did that for 2 years. The shaves where ok but it was so time consuming that I stopped using it.

I had my revelation after seeing Rock’n’Rolla at the cinema down in Greensborough. While I was in the toilet, there was an AD for Oscar shaving oil (made in Oz) on the wall listing the 6 ingredients versus the 1000 ingredients in a canned shaving gel. As they were listing this shaving oil being available in the supermarket in the same shopping centre, I decided to have a look. I heard about shaving oil before but never though much of it or tried it…

I found the oil, bought some, and yes, it did work a bit better than canned shaving gel. I used it with my Mach3 and did 1 pass. I then start looking for more traditional ways of shaving, how to build lather, etc. I didn’t know that I could still buy those products. Surely enough, I ended up on B&B half a dozen time while searching on Google and decided that must be it. The light is there!!

A week later, I bought a Weishi DE razor with a pack of Merkur DE blades.

What was it that held your interest?
The tutorials were a great help and the community kept helping so I had to continue. I also started to try and buy more products as I was curious to try new things. I always had an interest in Straight shaving but never took it as I was early discouraged with the maintenance. Between us, stropping and honing is not so bad. If you take it one step at the time, it’s easy! Yes, it’s a commitment but I think it’s worth it.

If I remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?
My first DE razor was a Weishi and I quickly switched to a Gillette Superspeed in less than a month. My first shave ready straight that I bought was a John Watts 11/16 muted square point.

Shave Cream & Soaps? What did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
My first shaving cream was a brushless cream made in Australia named Smartmen. I bought it by mistake as it was recommended to me at the shaver shop (Another reason not to trust them). The cream worked ok but nothing fantastic and without a brush, it’s not as fun. I quickly moved to Proraso white tea and aloe and the locally available Palmolive shaving cream made in Australia. Those two were very good. I eventually got the Proraso shaving cream and TOBS Rose. I used those two a lot and had very good results.

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?
I knew that I was hooked on the first shave and I had the opportunity to get a shave ready straight razor from Marcus (mdunn). He sent it to me without asking for anything in guarantee, I was ready to send him money to cover the cost of the blade in case something happens and he refused. I used that first straight razor for a month and stropped with newspaper. The blade wasn’t as sharp as it could be and got tired after 2 weeks. I bought a strop and it had a huge impact!

The first straight razor that I bought was named ‘The Practical’, made of French Steel, 13/16, full hollow. It was not shave ready. I bought it from B/S/T and it was a good deal I think. I still own that razor today and had to touch it up lately. I was thinking of selling it and changed my mind after the touch up as the shaves are very smooth. I ended up buying 2 other non-shave ready and 1 shave ready straight that week.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? Did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I started shaving on the week-end only where I could take all the time I needed. Also, SWMBO was off to see some family in the first month so I didn’t have any distractions or pressure from getting out of the bathroom. I strangely started to really look forward to my straight shaves when I got the strop. The turning point was there. I then bought 4 straights that week… I did a shaving journal in the hope that I could document what was happening and received a lot of advices that were excellent!

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:
I don’t own a DE razor anymore. I’m completely converted. My 3 favourites razors at the moment are: 13/16 - The Celebrated Emperor - Napoleon - German steel with White mother of pearls scales, 13/16 - Wade & Butcher - Sheffield - Horn scales (both restored by onimaru55 – Thanks Oz) and a 6/8 - John Heiffor 3 Paradise Square - Sheffield - Half Hollow - Made in Sheffield for Robt. I. Cohen, Galveston, Texas.
2 brushes: Well, I pretty much use only one brush. I did restore a few brushes and I prefer my re-knotted Silvertip butterscotch Simms. I still own my first brush, a cheap Wilkinson Sword bristle. I don’t really use it anymore…
3 soaps: Proraso of course, Monsavon and Palmolive shaving stick (Euro version with Tallow).
2 creams: Palmolive shaving cream (made in Oz) and Cella (I consider it as a cream, not a soap…).
3 colognes: Like the brushes, I’m a simple man so this one is short – Brut cologne and I started using Francesco Smalto – Eau de toilette, Paris.
Strop: I only have one and it’s a Kanayama 30000!
3 Aftershaves: MG5 shaving lotion (splash) is one of my favourite. Vintage (another Japanese AS) is very close. Both contain menthol. My non-menthol pick would be either Brut or Denim Chill.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
I’m currently reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Favorite Movie or two?
Leon – The professional is one of my favourites (the shorter version not the director’s cut) and I’m thorned between the Hangover and Hot Fuzz…

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
I was a big fan of Sherlock Holmes when I was younger but prefer Hercules Poirot as you get a chance to find out the solution yourself while you read instead of bringing new information at the end of the book. Just a preference on how it was written. I’m also a fan of the Godfather book and Dracula by Bram Stoker!

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
Mmm, not really… I’ll have to think about this one…

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
Go Slow, no pressure and practice!

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
See above.

What is your honing set up for eBay specials?
At the moment, I do not have a setup to hone straights I buy on eBay. I try to stop buying but it’s not easy. I would probably send it out to be honed and will do the touch-ups myself later.

how often and what's your method for touching up your straights? favorite finish?
I touch up ~15 shaves, sometimes a bit more, depending when it starts to pull a bit. I have a Maruichi Japanese finishing stone to hone. I then do the usual linen/leather stropping.

Favorite straight razor maker?
John Heiffor is one of my favourite makers, I have 3 of them. I try to vary my collection a bit and use different makers. I so far have a Military Razor Wedge 6/8, A 6/8 half hollow and a 6/8 extra hollow.

What do you look for on ebay?
When it comes to buy a straight razor on eBay, there are various factors to look for. I did take the chance of buying razors that had “good looking” pictures and ended up with a bad razor that was un-usable. I also bought razors with 1 picture and got a good deal. The bargains on eBay can be good or bad.

I usually try to always confirm with the seller if the blade has chips or cracks, that’s a standard. I try to get something 6/8 and bigger, always. I own smaller razors but prefer bigger razors. If the scales are broken, they can be replaced. My favourite straight would be a French point, French steel, half or full hollow. Shoulderless if possible.

Favorite setup?
Well, I don’t take pictures very often but I should. I just don’t have the camera close to me when I get up in the morning. I’m also one of those users who have “a camera” and I press on the thing on top and that take the picture…

My favourite setup is the Proraso Shave where I use either the Proraso shaving cream, Proraso white soap or Proraso green soap. I finish with the Proraso AS splash. I do the Proraso shave every Sunday.

Today, I took a different setup, in the picture:

View attachment 126137

Simms Butterscotch Silvertip (re-knot from TGN)
Vintage Japanese Aftershave
Francesco Smalto cologne
Monsavon shaving soap
13/16 Wade & Butcher with Horn scales​

Nicely done gents...nicely done. I remember your posts about that first str8 Luc...helped motivate me when I was contemplating making the jump! :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Josh for the interview!

Thanks everyone!

If someone wants to read my straight razor journey, it's here.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I just finished reading that! How far into it are you?

I'm almost half way. This morning the girl with the Dragon Tattoo had her laptop crushed by a Saab and the driver drove off...

I'm almost half way. This morning the girl with the Dragon Tattoo had her laptop crushed by a Saab and the driver drove off...

Hmmm I see.

I thought the book was really boring, but during the last 1/4, it really picked up. Let me know what you think of it when you're done :thumbup1:

Top Bottom