What's new

Straight Shaver Interview - azmark

Here is another installment of the straight razor interviews as well another reason to shave with a straight razor. Most folks that have spoken with azmark know that he's a fantastic guy. This interview goes a little deeper and gives a window into Mark that illustrates how he is one of B&B's best!

Thank you Mark, for an outstanding interview!!

Who are you?

Mark or Mark Anthony when my wife is really ticked off.

Where are you located?

In the beautiful Sonoran Desert in a suburb just east of Phoenix, AZ. Originally I'm from southern California and went to school in Cambridge for a short time.

How do you take your coffee?

Black as black can get. I need about 3-4 cups or else people around me will be looking for a window to throw themselves out of.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?

Ah well, I've been a member for over a year but have been following for much longer. I was never an avid forum follower for any topic mostly because I was always apprehensive of wasting my time and honestly not knowing what or where to start on most forums. While watching B&B develop I really became quite a fan of it just not being about shaving.

Being pretty much self taught in every aspect of becoming a man since my father passed away when I was a very young, I would always search to do things that I could learn and pass down to my two young boys. So B&B was a perfect fit and decided to jump in.

I began wetshaving for the reason of saving money growing up very poor so the manly ritual of shaving was desperately sought out for. I found some DE blades at a local drug store and was intrigued because I remembered seeing them growing up as a kid. After some research I picked up some should I dare say.....Williams (I'm pretty sure I've ever admitted that) and for a few years had OK shaves but I saved a fortune. Looking for replacements for the junk DE blades I had I ran into some online vendors which later pushed me to West Coast Shaving and their is where some of the AD's began.

What was it that held your interest?

Well it was cheap but before I really began to enjoy that "me" time it was a pretty great feeling that this method was something that fathers passed down to their children. So pretty much my enjoyment is somewhat of a preparation to share with them one day. It is also a great way to get out of getting in trouble by my wife because I say all the stuff I get is to pass down to the kids. It helps.

If i remember from your posts, you started with DE's before switching to straights; What did you start with?

Good grief. It was one of those replacement blade straights that my barber gave me. If I recall correctly I think the replacement blades were Derby's. What a mess I made of myself at first but I quickly got the hang of it.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?

I'm definitely a soaps guy but I do enjoy dense creams. One of the first soaps in my journey was Mitchell's Wool Fat and I really enjoyed the feeling of lanolin and liked that there was no real fragrance to the soap.

Now pretty much able to say I've at least dipped my brush on a lot of the brands I learned that tallow, lanolin and shea are where my loyalties stand.

Where did you get your first straight razor? was it shave ready?

My first actual straight came from Bob Keys. It was a Gotta 120 that I still have and is one bad mamma jamma and would never get rid of it. And yes, it was wickedly shave ready.

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?

Well starting with replacement blades it was tough because there wasn't any real enjoyment of seeing the results of your work. Meaning I didn't appreciate honing and stropping so it was tough to separate replacement blades straights to DE's.

When I switched and actually held a real straight I thought of the history of the blade of who may have purchased it first and what history was behind it. At that point is where I really appreciated and respected the art of straight shaving.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors: Of course my 6/8 Gotta 120, 6/8 Henry Kaufman & Son's K55 Bellied Hollow, and my Especial Para Barbas Duras Filiarmonica
2 brushes: Rudy Vey custom PJ super badger in buffalo horn and Rudy Vey custom Polo 8 in super.
3 soaps: Mitchells' Wool Fat, D.R Harris Marlborough, and Cella
2 creams: Acca Kappa 1869 (in tub), Musgo Real
& 3 colognes: Carven Vetiver, L'occitane Vetyver, Guerlain Vetiver. I like vetivers:biggrin1:

3 A/S: Saint Charles Shave Woods, Alt-Insbruck, and D.R. Harris Sandalwood

What is your strop preference and what is your stropping regime?

I was never bitten by the strop AD so pretty much anything that works is a favorite. I currently use Ambrose Spanish leather strop and Tony Miller latigo strop. All classic 2" wide and plain ends.

I keep all my razors stropped and put away.

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?

One thing that I've been very firm with myself is to only purchase blades that don't have chips in them. Pretty much because I'm too lazy to work a chip out.

So if there is some rework of a bevel I keep it simple:
600DMT, 1200DMT, Norton 4k/8k and finish Jnat.

My regular set up as of last week; Japanese naturals

how often and what's your method for touching up your straights? favorite finish?

I actually keep a log of what razor was honed when and what method was used (look out for a template soon). So I know exactly what is needed and when it is needed on my blades. I only do one touch up if it is ever needed and that is on crox. If it ever needs anything more I'll just rehone it to keep the best edge I can get.

You've created some wicked cool straight razor cases! Innovative and high quality, How did they come about?

The cases started out because I had a 24 case from Thiers Issard that was over $200 and a needed more space and didn't want to keep forking over $200+ every couple of months:blush:.

I began working with wood a few years back. Mostly just tinkering and became very well versed in making out of the ordinary stuff. Made some pretty cool bird houses, doll houses and furniture.

I looked around for something to replace a display case and always ran into homemade display cases that looked very nice but had hooks to mount the blades and I didn't care for them. That's when I remembered a project I did with some kneelers for some kids at church I made that I incorporated earth magnets for some pieces.

I found set of plans online for display cases and incorporated my taste of mounting smaller earth magnets with some of the strongest CA glue imaginable (all I have to say is OUCH!). I made some pretty standard cases in 12, 18 and recently made 36 out of wood laminate. I haven't worked the 36 perfect yet but it looks slick and use it as a table top display. Now that table top display led me into a new project of being able to make an attachment to place on a dresser or any table and have it be part of the piece of furniture. I only have drawings but it looks slick but I tend to chew larger than what I can swallow. When I perfect some of these I plan on sharing them in some kind of tutorial.

One thing that you'll learn from me is that I don't keep secrets about anything I make or do. I like that everyone learns a new craft whether it be blade restoration, honing or rescaling. It should never make a person feel threatened if they consider things like that a secret it should only make them feel more inclined to perfect a trade or product knowing there are people pushing you to do so.

How often do you work out? How did you get to a place where working out wasn't a chore?

Did my wife ask you to put this in here?

[Editors note -- Mark's wife is actually the moderators moderator, and yes she did ask me to ask this Q. :biggrin:]

I use to work out like a mad man and was considered some kind of machine years back because of my endurance. A lineage I have is Tarahumara which are famous for their endurance events and running ability. Besides doing triathlons and Ironman races I use to do extreme marathons, only 30 miles and up runs and ran relay races of 200 miles across the desert in a 24 hour race. My brother currently still races and is a maniac and will warm up with a nice 20 mile run:lol:.

So I say all that to lead you into that now I only do a few days a week of spin class and some plyometrics. I travel about 3-4 days a week and work endless work schedule. I do miss running but there is no way I would be able to discipline myself again.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?

I read as much as possible and always carry a book with me. I really enjoy history and any book that is about this great nation.

But currently I'm preparing for the new movie release of Harry Potter:biggrin1:

Favorite Movie or two?

Harry Potter series of course and Unforgiven.

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?

Abraham Lincoln and Josey Wales.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?

There is no such thing as situational ethics.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?

Fortunately there have been a line of sound and much appreciated advice from folks here. One thing I've come to agree with much of the feeling by senior members is that there is more than one way for everything.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?

Don't get stuck with the mentality that your way is the right way. Don't feel that your method is superior than others and like in life there is always someone out there that knows more than you do.

attachment.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
How do you take your coffee?

Black as black can get. I need about 3-4 cups or else people around me will be looking for a window to throw themselves out of.

I thought you said he is a nice guy :lol::lol:

Great interview Josh :thumbup1:...I was wondering when Mark would come up :tongue_sm. I am really loving these interviews...it makes B&B much more personal.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Love that picture of L'Alouette (Lark)!

No pictures of that Gotta?

Very nice interview! Thanks Mark and Josh! :thumbup1:

Harry Potter and Running...yep!

It's Harry Potter week also for me, here in Italy.

And as for the Tarahumara... have you ever read "Born to run" by Christopher McDougall?

Great interview.

Thanks for sharing!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When I retire, I'm moving to Arizona. First round of tacos are on me.. :thumbup1:

Great interview!

Thanks! I really dig these interviews, as much for the non-shaving elements as the shaving and hardware, finding so many other areas we have in common.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mark's log template. I'm only a couple months into straights, but I'm getting to the point where it's hard to keep track of where each razor came from, what the conditions was, any issues that need to be addressed, my own maintenance history with each, and shaving impressions. I've been thinking about creating a log, but I'm unlikely to get to it soon as I'd rather use my little bit of free time to put them to use.

Thanks again,
Jack

Thanks fellas and thanks to Josh for setting this up!

I thought you said he is a nice guy :lol::lol:
Josh creating rumors again!:lol::lol:

Love that picture of L'Alouette (Lark)!

No pictures of that Gotta?

Very nice interview! Thanks Mark and Josh! :thumbup1:
So is that what it means? I always thought it said something like "cool guy" or "good looking." The French are misleading me again.:lol::lol:
I'll get a SOTD with it when I return from this weeks travels.
Harry Potter and Running...yep!

It's Harry Potter week also for me, here in Italy.

And as for the Tarahumara... have you ever read "Born to run" by Christopher McDougall?

Great interview.

Thanks for sharing!

I'll be there at opening night with with wand and broom in hand. I'll be the cool guy in the bunch.:biggrin1:

I love that book and have had it for years. Going to the actual locations where they run, like in Copper Canyon was amazing.

When I retire, I'm moving to Arizona. First round of tacos are on me.. :thumbup1:

Great interview!

Tacos:thumbup:
Thanks! I really dig these interviews, as much for the non-shaving elements as the shaving and hardware, finding so many other areas we have in common.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mark's log template. I'm only a couple months into straights, but I'm getting to the point where it's hard to keep track of where each razor came from, what the conditions was, any issues that need to be addressed, my own maintenance history with each, and shaving impressions. I've been thinking about creating a log, but I'm unlikely to get to it soon as I'd rather use my little bit of free time to put them to use.

Thanks again,
Jack

I use 3x5 cards and keep notes on a lot of things since I use naturals. Sometimes the simple things make a difference.

I'll work on it in the coming week.

Top Bottom