What's new

Straight shave in Chicago area

Anyone know where to get a good straight shave in the Chicago area? I went to the Truefitt and Hill in the Loop, but had an awful experience. The barber left my face full of razor burn and ingrown hairs. He even said that my skin is way too sensitive for DE or str8s and my best wet shaving option is a Mach3.

After four years I feel like I'm ready to try a barber shave again and would like to know what my fellow B&Bers have to suggest.

I started cutting my on hair when I got a barber cut I didn't like over 30years ago.

I don't think today I can get a better shave from someone else. So I would buy a puck or 2 of AOS, some of their Gel and a nice razor with the money saved from going to a barber.

YM(and money)MV of course

I started cutting my on hair when I got a barber cut I didn't like over 30years ago.

I don't think today I can get a better shave from someone else. So I would buy a puck or 2 of AOS, some of their Gel and a nice razor with the money saved from going to a barber.

YM(and money)MV of course

I agree that I can probably give myself the best shave possible due to the fact that I know my skin and hair the best. But I just kind of like the pampering of a barber straight shave.

I agree that I can probably give myself the best shave possible due to the fact that I know my skin and hair the best. But I just kind of like the pampering of a barber straight shave.
I get what you're saying, but for my limited experience w/ this, it just isn't worth it.

I got a full treatment cut & shave from AOS from the wife about 2 years ago. My shave experience was similar to yours - not particularly good.
I also went to my local barber (in the 'burbs) & asked him about giving shaves. He said he could do it, but after we talked a bit about my experiences & hardware/software collection thus far, he said what he would do would pale in comparison to what I could give myself.

So, I guess I'm in the camp of the barber shave is an overrated thing.

Hmm I am going to be spending a few days at the Peninsula Hotel after my wedding in September and was considering a straight shave at t&h or statestreetbarbers. Now I am thinking that maybe I should just do it myself and buy some fancy products from merz, t&h or AoS.

nrv216

Top Bottom