What's new

Straight shave #4

Thank you Guys.

@spoonman: I haven't been collecting anything before in my life, but my AD's kicked in when I received my first package of shaving goodies. Something just got triggered in my brain and now I'm hooked.
I have been lucky though, most of my stuff has been bought at very reasonable prices here at B/S/T or when lurking around on the internet :detective:

Yesterday afternoon the postman delivered a straight that had been sent out to be honed. Professorchaos generously offered a free honing in the Contributors' corner and it is a price hard to resist :biggrin1:
So of course today I had to test it - nice :thumbup1:, he has put a really fine edge on it.

Close and comfortable again, a small nick in the chin - but it is a hard area to manoeuvre in :001_smile

So today was

Music
Destiny's Child - The Writing's On The Wall

Hardware
Custom Made Scuttle
Omega 11137 Boar
Racoon 13/16" Straight

Software
Tabac Shaving Soap
Møller's Aloe & Witch Hazel
Tabac After Shave Lotion

proxy.php

Another amazing pic....you know this is starting to be expected now. You better not post any crappy pics otherwise you'll get tomatoes! :lol:

Thank you very much for not putting pressure on my shoulders :001_rolle

Today was a little anniversary shave as it was the fifthiest with a straight :biggrin1:

However, it didn't went as smooth as expected. I used a razor I just honed and it felt really butter-smooth, I almost couldn't understand that I was able to get it to be that smooth.
Everything seemed to be fine, I did three passes without problems but then as I was cleaning the razor and the brush I started to feel a warm sensation and a quick look in the mirror showed some redness appearing.

The strange thing is, that it is only one side of the face, the side I shaved first, the other side is fine as per normal. I fail to understand how or why this has happened, and it is a bit frustrating because that prevents me from rectifying what I'm doing wrong.
Some intense work with alcohol :scared:, razor burn repair, witch hazel and a good cream has "repaired" the irritation/razor burn, but it would be nice to know what caused it.

Today's tools

No Name Mixed Hair Brush
BUR 6/8" Straight

Proraso Pre-shave Cream (white)
Palmolive Classic Shave Stick
Floid Suave After Shave (Spanish version)

and the no-pressure photo (I hope) :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Yesterday afternoon the postman delivered a straight that had been sent out to be honed. Professorchaos generously offered a free honing in the Contributors' corner and it is a price hard to resist :biggrin1:
So of course today I had to test it - nice :thumbup1:, he has put a really fine edge on it.

Close and comfortable again, a small nick in the chin - but it is a hard area to manoeuvre in :001_smile

Wow, it got there fast! I'm happy to hear that it shaved well. One of the reasons I don't offer honing is that I'd rarely be able to test a given edge. Of course I can tell with a high degree of certainty whether or not an edge is good to go. But you never know for sure until you've shaved with it.

Congrats on the 50th, even if it wasn't as good as you would have liked. Great picture, once again.

After yesterdays somewhat so-so shave I was worried that it might be my honing that was off. So I was a bit nervous today when trying out another razor I just honed yesterday evening - but he who doesn't try, doesn't succeed either, so I went for it.

And boy what a great shave I got today :biggrin1: The edge was really sharp and buttery smooth at the same time. I am sure, I can't produce a better edge at the moment, and I would be surprised if I would be possible to do it better in the future, it was simply great and in my own opinion on par with the ones that doghair, professorchaos, strop-shop.uk and rasurpur.de has provided me with.
The razor might also have something to do with it, it doesn't look as a full wedge, but it is close.

The razor is not as forgiving as a full hollow, so I managed to nick my chin a couple of times, but it was well worth it, the rest of the shave was just so close, smooth and comfortable. It will be a razor that will see frequently action in the future that's for sure.

Today's great shave was achieved with

Music
The Beatles - 1

Hardware
Japanese Rice Bowl
No Name Boar Travel Brush (with porcelain handle)
Zepp 11/16" Straight

Software
Ralph Lauren - Safari For Men Shaving Soap (Tallow first) in Bakelite Container
Christian Dior - Fahrenheit After Shave Lotion

proxy.php

I don't really feel that I know what I'm doing when I'm honing, but I must do something right - another razor honed, another fine shave :biggrin1:

No nicks or cuts, no irritation, just a nice smooth feel after three passes.
I can still feel I'm making progress although the steps are smaller at this time, but the quality of the shaves does improve slightly.

Today I used

Custom Made Scuttle
Culmak Boar
Eduard Stamm "Best Stamm" 11/16" Straight

T&H Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream
Williams Ice Blue After Shave

proxy.php

I'm on a small/short vacation and as such more limited both in shaving gear and computer setup.

The two last shaves where quite identical as both where trouble-free and gave som nice close shaves, but then again I had no time restrictions either :001_smile

Shave #53

Japanese Rice Bowl
Art of Shaving Pure Badger
Le Grelot 6/8"

La Toja Shave Stick
Møller's ALoe & Witch Hazel
Floid Suave (Spanish)

Shave #54

Japanese Rice Bowl
Gillette Boar (quite a nice little brush)
George Johan 6/8"

Arko Shave Stick
Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave

Oh yes, I packed two straights and a strop, one DE, three brushes, one bowl (and bought another :blushing:), two soap sticks, one cream and two after shaves - thought that would be good for five days :biggrin1:
Now I have three work days on evening shift and then five days off again which I will spend in a cottage with the closest family.

Today I was close to a perfect shave, the only minor glitch was the first pass, where the lather was too dry. But apart from that a nice relaxed, comfortable, close and smooth shave :001_smile

I used

Focus Bowl (cheap new acquisition from the local supermarket)
Le Grelot 6/8"

Arko Shave Stick

...and we spent some of the day at the (cold) beach.

I don't know what I like better, all the cool razors you have, or your creativity in the pictures. Nicely done!

I don't know what I like better, all the cool razors you have, or your creativity in the pictures. Nicely done!

Thank you.
Since I was carrying a bag with the camera anyway, I just took along the shave gear to see if I might get a picture that would work.

I bought a straight from Ambrose, and it was waiting for me when I came home yesterday, so of course I had to use it today.

Besides being a beautiful razor, those scales are just awesome, it is a good shaver as well. Ambrose put a really fine edge on it, so I managed to clock another fine shave without problems :biggrin1:

The equipment for today

Omega 11137 Boar Brush
Belbo 7/8 Straight with Custom Amboyna Burl Scales and Ebony Wedge

Speick Shave Stick
Speick After Shave Balm

proxy.php

Nice one again today :wink2:

"No Problemo" as Terminator would say.

Today's equipment

Derby Bowl
No Name Butterscotch with real hair
No Name 4/8" Straight, Stainless Steel

Karolines køkken (~ Karolines Kitchen) Double Cream
Four Seasons Spiced Rum After Shave

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting gear?!

You are flying with the shaves! Good work mate!

Yeah, sorry but I couldn't help myself :lol:
The date urged me to.

The real shave was problem-free and conducted with:

Special Made Scuttle
Edwin Jagger Silvertip
J. H. Potter 6/8"

Ralph Lauren Safari Shaving Soap
Nivea for Men Replenishing After Shave Balm
Ferrari Black EdT

proxy.php

This was a really nice shave and I got very close to getting a BBS.
The Le Grelot is one smooth razor, and I like the weight of it as well, maybe that is why it is such a good performer.

Equipment

Focus Bowl
No Name Boar Travel Brush
Le Grelot 6/8"

Arko Shave Stick
Proraso Liquid Cream AS

Trying something new today :001_smile

I went for four passes where the last pass was conducted ATG with cold water only. I've read this somewhere in here, but I don't remember who mentioned it. I've been reluctant to try from fear of getting razor burn, but the curiosity got the best of me.

I must say it went a lot better than expected and it didn't give any razor burn either - the result was BBS, Nice :laugh:

Gear

Focus Bowl
George Johan 6/8"

Edwin Jagger Premium Shaving Cream, Sandalwood

And then I'll spend the Sunday in company with my closest family, a reproduction of the original Sherlock Holmes stories and minimum one glass of Rozéz Vintage Portwine, 1991 :biggrin1:

Top Bottom