What's new

Straight shave #4

Still haven't honed any of your razors after 40 shaves?

No, they still perform great.
The one I've used the most is the Dovo Special, as it was my first, and some time ago I thought it needed to be honed, but after I discovered it just had to be stropped more than the other razors it performs really nice again :001_smile
When they need a hone, I'll send them out, I don't have the skills yet to do it satisfactory myself.

I really like that rice bowl. Seems like the perfect shape for lathering and not hitting your brush on the side of the bowl.

Also, seeing all of your pictures is making my SRAD kick in something fierce!!!!

The rice bowl was something I just picked when I got my first DE razor and some soap and had to get started, it seemed fine and I thought I could always pick up another bowl later. Well it is still in rotation because I really like the shape and weight of it - plus it looks quite nice in the bathroom too.
About the pictures, I know what you mean, I got hooked after watching the beautiful pictures in the SOTD thread :drool:

Today's shave was really nice, so nice in fact that I used too much time enjoying it and met at work 15 minutes later than normal - I'm glad we have flexible time :001_smile

I'm quite pleased with the shave which once again was done without any problems. I did noticed however at noon, that I'll have to check the area just below my lower lip a little closer - but it is in the "small things" department.

Today's equipment:

Japanese Rice Bowl
Omega 11137 Boar
George Johan 6/8"

Cella Shaving Soap
Møller's Aloe & Witch Hazel
Nivea for Men Replenishing After Shave Balm

proxy.php

Today's shave was really nice, so nice in fact that I used too much time enjoying it and met at work 15 minutes later than normal - I'm glad we have flexible time :001_smile

I'm quite pleased with the shave which once again was done without any problems. I did noticed however at noon, that I'll have to check the area just below my lower lip a little closer - but it is in the "small things" department.

Today's equipment:

Japanese Rice Bowl
Omega 11137 Boar
George Johan 6/8"

Cella Shaving Soap
Nivea for Men Replenishing After Shave Balm

proxy.php

You appear to be taking as much time shaving as you do your photos...that one is amazing!

I've barely got enough time after luxuriating in my shave to grab the camera and snap a quick flash of the setup...yours almost looks professionally done!

You appear to be taking as much time shaving as you do your photos...that one is amazing!

I've barely got enough time after luxuriating in my shave to grab the camera and snap a quick flash of the setup...yours almost looks professionally done!

Guilty as charged :blushing:

I've been an amateur photographer for about 18-20 years. My interest however has been landscapes, wildlife and some special rare plants.
I've not done any stills until last year when I started the SOTD thing - it has been fun though and I've learned a lot already.

I must also admit that on workdays I don't shoot the setup before I get home from work, I simply don't have the time in the morning.
But all that doesn't matter because it is after all the shave that is important and not the picture :001_smile

After yesterdays poker-night it was a slow awakening today, and I took good time for the prep and the shave - and it became soo good :w00t:

Using my scuttle, I got the warm lather just perfect - thick and creamy and the smell was just so nice I had to restrain myself from tasting it.

I couldn't resist a three pass shave today (would be a shame to waste that nice lather) so I went WTG-XTG-ATG and got a really nice DFS without any problems
I am really digging the straight shave, and will have to do more about achieving the honing skills. I've just ordered a Belgian blue to accompany my Belgian coticule, so when it arrives I'll give it a real go.

Today's awesome shave was achieved with:

Custom Made Scuttle
Art of Shaving Fine Badger
Le Grelot 6/8"

Castle Forbes Lime Shaving Cream
Castle Forbes Lime After Shave Balm
Ferrari Black EdT (The F1 season is finally kicking in :001_smile)

proxy.php

Nice shave once again, I'm on a roll here :001_smile

Three passes again, I got the lather a bit too watery so I can feel the shave on my skin, but there is no redness, I think some moisturising cream will take care of it.

Music: Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture with Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Georg Solti.

proxy.php

Dude...your pictures continue to look absolutely amazing! Mine you can tell I took with a household digital camera and in the bathroom...:blushing:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice shave once again, I'm on a roll here :001_smile

Three passes again, I got the lather a bit too watery so I can feel the shave on my skin, but there is no redness, I think some moisturising cream will take care of it.

Music: Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture with Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Georg Solti.

I used Farenheit before, it was my first cologne actually! Good going on the shaves!! :thumbup1:

Well, it had to come - a bad shave of some sort.

I had been trying to hone a razor and with confidence I had to try it out - bad decision.
It did shave, it just wasn't sharp enough, so after the first pass I shifted to a razor I knew worked, but the damage had been done - razor burn.
At first I thought I had pulled it off as I didn't feel anything, but when the shave was over it appeared slowly but surely :sad:
I've had worse, but still.

Trying to take a positive view of things at least, my own concoction of aloe & witch hazel had the chance to prove its worth - and it wasn't bad.

Today's shave was brought to you by:

Hardware
Frieb Boar Brush
J. H. Potter 6/8" (the one that worked :001_tongu)

Software
La Toja Shave Stick
Nickel Contre-Feu After Shave

proxy.php

In this case I used my copy/replica of Thayer's Witch Hazel and the Nickel after shave.
I can highly recommend Nickel as a razor burn repair although it is an after shave.
I have Proraso's razor burn repair, but it doesn't match the Nickel in performance in my opinion.

I'm still in the testing mode of my own product and haven't found the right amount of each component yet.

After a day with a gentle DE shave I'm back in the straight world :001_smile

And just as bad as shave #44 was, just as good was this one. Close, comfortable and irritation-free. Only thing was a short lapse of concentration that resulted in a small nick on my neck - there is quick response from a straight, teaching you to be on your toes :wink2:

This days fine shave was accomplished with:

Bowl from my custom made scuttle
Dovo Pure Badger
Le Grelot 6/8"

Fitjar Fjellheim Shaving Soap
Williams Ice Blue After Shave

proxy.php

In this case I used my copy/replica of Thayer's Witch Hazel and the Nickel after shave.
I can highly recommend Nickel as a razor burn repair although it is an after shave.
I have Proraso's razor burn repair, but it doesn't match the Nickel in performance in my opinion.

I'm still in the testing mode of my own product and haven't found the right amount of each component yet.

Nickel aftershave? Never heard of it...is it only available in Europe?

Nickel aftershave? Never heard of it...is it only available in Europe?

No, at least it seems they have a New York branch as well:
http://nickelspanyc.com/newyorkspa/

Today's shave wasn't bad, but then again I didn't felt it was really good either. I had some issues with the Semogue LE, it is not (at the moment) good enough for face lathering, the lather seems to be watering out or disappearing into the brush for the second pass.
Otherwise a close shave, and I do like the Speick scent :thumbup1:

Today's gear:

Japanese Rice Bowl
Semogue 2009 LE
Georg Johan 6/8"

Speick Shave Stick
Speick After Shave Balm

proxy.php

I have had the most fantastic start to the day. After I received my BBW stone I had another go at honing last night.
Foolish as I am (overlooking last time), I put the razor to the test today and what did I get - a close and rather comfortable shave without any irritation whatsoever :biggrin1:
A small nick in the throat, but I was quite pleased with that, because I have sharpened the razor myself so it was capable of that :w00t:

I'll admit the edge isn't of same quality as the one Doghair put on the George Johan or the one Martin from Rasupur.de put on the Le Grelot, but that doesn't matter in this case, what matters is, I have been able to put a shave-ready edge on a dull razor - I have a hard time getting my arms down :biggrin1:

In the overall perspective it is not a big deal, as men has been doing this for centuries, but it is a big deal to me - it is special to shave with a razor you have honed yourself.

Fantastic Friday Shave

Frieb Boar Brush
Joseph Rodgers & Son - Stockdale's Matchless 5/8" (honed be myself :biggrin1:)

Arko Shave Stick
Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave

proxy.php

After yesterdays successful experience, I decided to attack another of my straights, so last night I was in company with a straight, Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman (The Quick and The Dead - in HD).

The good Lady Luck smiled to me once again, and I got a better result on this razor than the previous one. Admitted; the blade was in better condition, but I did spend some more time on the coticule at the finish.

A smooth, close a very comfortable three pass shave today. No nicks, cuts weepers or irritation of any kind :biggrin1:
I am so digging this.

Today's shave:

Music
Toni Braxton - The Heat

Hardware
Custom Made Scuttle
Victoria Pure Badger Butterscotch :001_wub:
Lenrub 15/16" Straight (a big m##### f##### if you will excuse me my French)

Software
Proraso Aloe & Green Tea Shaving Soap
Proraso Liquid Cream After Shave

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Great pictures mate!!

Fitjar is on my list of soaps!

Glad to read that you had better shaves (razor burn)!!

That's one nice razor... and that's not French :biggrin:

Great thread Soren, I really enjoy your photos, something I certainly don't have the skill to do in my thread!

You have an awesome collection of razors and brushes too!

Top Bottom