What's new

Straight shave #4

Awesome Soren! Congrats! Got my starter strop and str8 in today from Bear Den.

Tonight, I touch up the strop with some fine grit sandpaper and then run some practice stropping runs.

Wed morning...I shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If you nick your strop, sandpaper does miracles...

Good work mate!

Awesome Soren! Congrats! Got my starter strop and str8 in today from Bear Den.

Tonight, I touch up the strop with some fine grit sandpaper and then run some practice stropping runs.

Wed morning...I shave.

I'm looking forward to hear about your inaugural straight shave :001_smile :thumbup1:

I have no backbone, I can't seem to resist the third pass, and a bit sleepy today, had a hard time getting out of the shower, but still managed the three pass shave and got dressed in 40 minutes.
In Joels awesome video, he say one pass is enough, so tomorrow I will really really try to settle for a two pass shave - I am a bit curious to how that will work out later in the day.

Today was yet another fine shave, a little irritation at the spots from yesterday, but that's all - I think I could get used to this :001_smile

Today's fine shave was German inspired:

Music
Scorpions - Send Me An Angel
Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
Meat Loaf - Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere)

Hardware
Japanese Rice Bowl
Dovo Pure Badger Brush
Dovo Special 5/8" Straight

Software
Nivea for Men Shaving Cream
Nivea for Men Replenishing After Shave Balm

proxy.php

Awesome pic!

Thank you - to be honest this exact one was a mistake. Trying out some different aperture and shutter speeds I forgot to readjust when firing the flash, and I almost trashed the photo, but thought I would see how it looked in black and white before I dumped it. Well, I kept it :001_smile

I really had to pull on my 10-years experience as a military man and show some self-discipline this morning and settle for a two pass shave - but I managed to do it - just :001_smile
It was a very fine shave, and I think it pretty much compared to my normal DE shaves. Looking forward to see how it turns out late in the day.
On the positive side, I shaved off :)w00t:) five minutes of the time by skipping the third pass.
But as mentioned a very fine shave, no nicks, cuts or signs of irritation - skipping the third pass will of course reduce the risk of irritation as well.

Today's fine shave was achieved by:

Music
Nat King Cole - Fly me to the moon
Ella Fitzgerald - It's Only a Paper Moon
Louis Armstrong - Ain't Misbehavin'

Hardware
Semogue 2009 LE
George Johan 6/8"

Software
La Toja Shave Stick
Møller's Aloe & Witch Hazel
Floid Suave After Shave (Spanish)

proxy.php

I managed to resist the third pass again today and got a very nice shave.

I can definitely feel the difference on the skin when I'm skipping the third pass, the tendency to irritation, especially in the trouble areas, is lessened.

I have mixed feelings here, because I'm felling a bit bad for neglecting my DE's at the moment, but I'm enjoying myself so much with the straights that I can't seem to care :001_smile

And today:

Omega 11137 Boar
J. H. Potter 6/8" Straight, genuine ivory

Arko Shave Stick
Pierre Cardin - Pour Monsieur After Shave Lotion.

It just came into mind, that three animals had to die for my shave today; a pig for the bristles, an elephant for the scales and presumably a cow for the tallow soap - and I'm fine with it :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work!

It's good that you're able to stop yourself... Do that 3rd pass when you're ready, if you need it!

Oh boy, what a nice shave today.

Kept it at 2 passes and with the slightest pressure possible, and got a very comfortable DFS.
Comparing with last weeks DE shaving, the last couple of days' 2 pass shaves has been just if not closer than the DE and my time consumption is equal as well - couldn't be better.
The 2 pass shave definitely is better for the skin, although I can get by without irritation in a 3 pass shave, I can feel it's just on the border.
I'll reserve the 3 pass shaves for when I would like to be more closely shaven.

Today's DFS was obtained by:

Frieb Boar Brush
J. H. Potter 6/8" Straight (#2)

Palmolive Classic Shave Stick
Pierre Cardin - Bleu Marine After Shave

proxy.php

When I got home yesterday, the mailman/woman had left a note that I could pick up a parcel at the post office :biggrin1:
In anticipation of something good, I didn't shave this morning before I went down there and got my parcel.
Well home, the parcel was opened and it was a shave-ready new old forging Le Grelot 6/8" :001_wub:

Guess what I used for my shave today :biggrin1:

The shave was so nice, Martin from rasurpur.de had put a very fine and sharp edge on the razor, it just cut through the whiskers so smoothly :thumbup:
I can't believe how well this is going, it keeps getting better, even my Semogue 2009 LE behaved very well today, the tips felt really soft, I'm guessing it really is starting to break in - what a great day.

It wasn't intentional but quite funny, I had some music in the background and the three songs during my shave was: Living On the Edge (Aerosmith), Back Of ***** (Guns N' Roses) and Feel Good Time (Pink)
- if they weren't shave related I don't know :001_tt2:

Today's smooth shave was accomplished with:

Custom Made Scuttle
Semogue 2009 LE
Le Grelot 6/8" Straight

T&H Luxury Shaving Soap
Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Shaving Cream
7 drops of glycerine
Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave

proxy.php

Nice post and great razor.

I have the same one on the way as well from Martin. Does he pre-hone them all, or did you have to request that it be honed when you ordered?

Cheers

Nice post and great razor.

I have the same one on the way as well from Martin. Does he pre-hone them all, or did you have to request that it be honed when you ordered?

Cheers

All his razors come pre-honed, and he is very good at it.
Mine had a very fine edge, and I can only hope to be able to put such an edge on a razor some day.

I have really been enjoying myself today. I have absolutely nothing on my schedule for today, so it's going to be a lazy Sunday.

Since I got all the time in the world I took it very easy and didn't rush anything. Good long prep, making sure the warm lather had the right consistency, stropped the razor good and massaging the lather in well.

I was rewarded for my efforts with a smooth, close and very comfortable shave that really put a smile to my face when I was done - it felt that good.

And these where the ingredients:

Music
Puccini's 'Tosca' with Mirella Freni and Placido Domingo :001_smile

Hardware
Custom Made Scuttle
Edwin Jagger Silvertip :001_wub:
Le Grelot 6/8" :001_wub:

Software
Proraso Preshave Creme (white)
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream :001_smile
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet EDT :001_smile

proxy.php

Beautiful pic! But that bottle of Pen's BB Edt looks precariously placed!

No worries, it stands quite safe.
The bowl is supported at the back so it can't tilt, in fact I haven't come round to moving the stuff yet, and it still stands although it is more than an hour since I took the photo, not even the straight has moved :001_smile

No worries, it stands quite safe.
The bowl is supported at the back so it can't tilt, in fact I haven't come round to moving the stuff yet, and it still stands although it is more than an hour since I took the photo, not even the straight has moved :001_smile

Whew...the thought of a bottle of Pen's Blenheim broken and on the floor...well...thats anathema...thats what it is!

What can I say?
Another great shave under my belt. A two-pass shave, the lather was a bit too dry on the first pass, but an adjustment made the second pass really nice. Result: No bloodshed or irritation :001_smile

Today's fine shave was achieved by:

Japanese Rice Bowl
Semogue 2009 LE
Dovo Special 5/8"

T&H Ultimate Comfort Pre-shave Oil
T&H Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream
Floid Suave (Spanish version)

proxy.php

I really like that rice bowl. Seems like the perfect shape for lathering and not hitting your brush on the side of the bowl.

Also, seeing all of your pictures is making my SRAD kick in something fierce!!!!

Top Bottom