What's new

Straight shave #4

Nice! Have you nicked your strop yet? I nicked my first strop within 5 passes. And then again later that stropping session.

I have also thought the same thing. I had my first straight shave (well a cheek or two) today. I nicked the strop. Plus the strop is borrowed from someone on another shaving forum.

Well done with your progress, I hope I managed to do the same as you.

I'm getting quite excited about this, I'm progressing faster than I had expected.

I'm now 12 shaves in and I must say they have been great since I received the Goerge Johan straight from DogHair.

For a comparison I went back to the Dovo today, and gave it a really good stropping before the shave.
Again a great shave, no nicks or cuts and just a slight irritation under the nose and on the chin. The prep could have been a bit better but all-in-all I'm really satisfied.

Man, things are looking up! Glad to know your shaves are progressing really well, and you've even bought another straight. I've liked seeing your Snow Day SOTD's, too. Cool stuff.

I'm getting quite excited about this, I'm progressing faster than I had expected.

I'm now 12 shaves in and I must say they have been great since I received the Goerge Johan straight from DogHair.

For a comparison I went back to the Dovo today, and gave it a really good stropping before the shave.
Again a great shave, no nicks or cuts and just a slight irritation under the nose and on the chin. The prep could have been a bit better but all-in-all I'm really satisfied.

Nice work! It's gets easier as you get some confidence. Give it a month and you'll be wondering why everyone doesn't shave this way.

Back to the George Johan today, and another great shave.
I don't know if it was because it was #13, but I managed to cut myself twice.

It was however the fastest shave so far. I had decided to use the La Toja shave stick today, and I usually face lather with a stick. Up until now I have only lathered half a face at a time, so the lather wouldn't dry up on me, given the slow speed.
But today I lathered the whole face, and with more confidence after the last days of success, I managed a "full" shave at each pass.

Apart from the two small cuts, it was a good experience, no irritation or wheepers. The only spot where I would like a closer shave is still the chin, but it may be more how it feels than how it looks, for after checking in the mirror, it didn't look worse than on a normal DE-day :001_smile

I'm beginning to get the hang of stropping too, and after I've doubled my laps to at least 50 on the leather both razors are performing very well.
At the moment though, the George Johan is my favourite, the whiskers doesn't stand a chance :biggrin1:

And once again I'll have to thank Leighton for the advice on being more confident, it has really increased the quality of the shave significantly :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good work!

Don't worry about cutting yourself, I still cut and nick myself here and there.

Good work!

Don't worry about cutting yourself, I still cut and nick myself here and there.

I'm not worried, the straights are so sharp I don't even feel it, just notice it when suddenly some blood is appearing.

Shave #14 wasn't a success. I found myself applying pressure halfway through the shave, indication: bad stropping.
Stropped again and it got better but not quite good. Stropped a third time before the final pass and that went well, but the harm had been caused = some razor burn. Live and learn :001_smile

Shave #15 today was quite good, but I still felt the irritation from yesterday, the skin hadn't healed up. But at least no stropping issues, and the speed is slowly but surely picking up.
Well, the next four days will be by DE, I'm still not fast enough to shave with a straight in the morning, but I am looking forward to the weekend already :biggrin1:

Shave #16: The best so far.

Three passes and some touch up of the chin area gave BBS in large areas and DFS in the rest.
I've only got two small spots with slight irritation and in a lapse of concentration I managed just to nick my earlobe with the point, but it was quite small and cold water took care of it.

So I'm very happy, and can honestly say, that the progress towards consistent great shaves is faster than I had anticipated.
I know I still have a long way to go, but I don't mind I'm enjoying the journey so much :001_smile

Good deal, Soren. Maybe it'll be less than 60 shaves before you're satisfied, after all. Are you already thinking about getting more razors?

Good deal, Soren. Maybe it'll be less than 60 shaves before you're satisfied, after all. Are you already thinking about getting more razors?

No, I passed that bridge a month ago :001_rolle

Apart from the two in rotation, so far I've got this :blushing: :

No name 11/16" Swedish Steel made in Solingen - I'm not sure if it can be rescued though.
4/8" Gebr. Lang, Manganese steel made in Solingen - just needs to be honed.
4/8" O. G & Co Elmo, three piece set - all three just needs to be honed.
11/16" Joseph Rodgers "Stockdales Matchless" made in Sheffield - small nicks in the edge but I think it can be restored by a honemeister or I can use it for hone practice when I get to that bridge.
11/16" Eduard Stamm "Best Stamm" made in Solingen - just needs to be cleaned and honed.
13/16" Racoon made in Solingen - just needs to be honed, in very good shape. I am tempted to strop it real good and then give it a try.

and this happens just when I got the DE-razor-, soap-, cream- and brush- AD under control :w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
No, I passed that bridge a month ago :001_rolle

Apart from the two in rotation, so far I've got this :blushing: :

No name 11/16" Swedish Steel made in Solingen - I'm not sure if it can be rescued though.
4/8" Gebr. Lang, Manganese steel made in Solingen - just needs to be honed.
4/8" O. G & Co Elmo, three piece set - all three just needs to be honed.
11/16" Joseph Rodgers "Stockdales Matchless" made in Sheffield - small nicks in the edge but I think it can be restored by a honemeister or I can use it for hone practice when I get to that bridge.
11/16" Eduard Stamm "Best Stamm" made in Solingen - just needs to be cleaned and honed.
13/16" Racoon made in Solingen - just needs to be honed, in very good shape. I am tempted to strop it real good and then give it a try.

and this happens just when I got the DE-razor-, soap-, cream- and brush- AD under control :w00t:

Ah nice, I also have a Racoon but not as big. It should come back to me soon from the honer. Can't wait to try it!

Ah nice, I also have a Racoon but not as big. It should come back to me soon from the honer. Can't wait to try it!

Well, I couldn't resist, so I tried it out this morning.
The razor was able to shave, but it was as if it was dragging a bit, so I went back to the Dove after the first pass. Didn't give any razor burn though, so after I find someone who can hone it for me, I'm convinced this will be a great razor. I'll have to tighten the pin as well, the scales are too loose for my liking.

Here's a photo of it (should have wiped it before I took the pic, I know)

Congrats on a good shave! I'm hoping I'll stick with it through the learning curve as well.

Well, I might be thick headed, not too smart or just plain stubborn (my family will probably agree with all :biggrin1:), but I am determined to learn it.
If my grand- and great grandfathers could achieve the skill, I'm convinced I can as well.

I'm very impatient at the moment as I have something really nice on its way - I'll keep it a secret for now, but will sure post pictures as soon as the item arrives :001_smile

Im in the same boat. Im thinking about shaving at night to give myself more time to use the straight.
klarion i thought i would never nick my strop "ill go slow and be careful"..tons of tiny nicks; good thing i got the filly.

in parts of the world it was once the tradition that you went to work unshaven, then went home and shaved to be pleasant for the wife/GF/mistress for the evening. Give it a try!

I can't keep up with the numbers, but I'm guessing this will be #18.

Really a great shave today.
I got some good ingredients for the shave...

Custom Made Scuttle for warm lather, Semogue 2009 LE, George Johan 6/8", T&H Luxury Shaving Soap and finishing with Nivea for Men Replenishing After Shave Balm

...so the rest was up to myself.
I gave the straight a good stropping and didn't rush the shave and I was rewarded with a close shave completely without irritation or wheepers.
What a great start to the Saturday :biggrin1:

And my SOTD pic.
proxy.php

Top Bottom