What's new

Straight razors in Germany, question on storage

Moved to germany recently where my wife is stationed. Curious if anyone living here does anything special for there straight razor storage. A little unfamiliar with the region and not sure if they are more likely to rust if just left alone in their coffins.

Also if there were any tips for finding deals and stone hunting here it would be appreciated!

Legion

Staff member
I don't get the impression Germany is particularly humid, so you should be ok. High humidity is the main danger.

If you are worried you could keep them in a sealed Tupperware type container with a silica packet or two.

A hygrometer is your best bet for assessing the local conditions inside your house. Indoor winter humidity will likely be low. Summer conditions will vary significantly dependent on the weather and the setup of the house. Strips of VCI paper in the coffins are a good idea for razors in storage.

As the gentlemen before me have commented, it depends on the local conditions. I have had to implement a more strict blade preservation routine after moving from Northern Europe to a country neighbouring Germany with a coastal climate.

Concerning long time-storage, I do not think you will have problems as long as you keep the razors in a dry environment. An oil or wax coating could be applied to provide additional protection.

Razors that are used frequently on the other hand could be at risk of rusting. My carbon blades especially are quick to oxidize/rust in the more rainy and humid months (autumn/winter). To avoid the development of rust I spray with isopropanol, wipe and strop after each shave before storing them in a humidor with a Boveda Pack. Silica gel can be used too.

Since implementing this routine, I have not had any problems with rust. It may however be excessive for your situation.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not in Germany but this is what I stored my SRs in when living on an island in the Philippines.

IMG_20210313_092735.jpg
It's a humidity cabinet used by photographers to protect their gear. I set mine on 45% RH and it worked like a charm.

I am now living in a rather dry arid environment so have no need for such a cabinet.

Moved to germany recently where my wife is stationed. Curious if anyone living here does anything special for there straight razor storage. A little unfamiliar with the region and not sure if they are more likely to rust if just left alone in their coffins.

Also if there were any tips for finding deals and stone hunting here it would be appreciated!

Unless you are close to the coast, humidity levels are fairly average.
But since you are in Germany, do as the Germans do - and they a) are clever engineers and b) invented Ballistol for a reason. :001_cool:

And Germany is a country, not a region.
The regions of Germany are these:

1659089854182.jpeg

Got it?

1659091034662.jpeg

Kind regards,

Angela

B. :sneaky2:

Last edited:
I apply a little mineral oil after each use. I never know when I am going to use the razor again. I live near the coast in Norway, and the relative humidity is quite often close to 100%
Lived in a humid climate when I learned to use a straight and it got some hinge rust because I didn't know better.

Put mineral oil after every shave when I learned this, never rusted again.

Dry climate now and I continue this just because it's dang easy and protective: drip one drip into each side of the hinge, a little on each side of the blade and rub it around a little on each side, then put the blade away. Takes maybe 10 seconds and nothing no matter how antique rusts. Worth doing regardless of climate and a little oiler bottle of mineral oil lasts forever

Reactions: JPO
Lived in a humid climate when I learned to use a straight and it got some hinge rust because I didn't know better.

Put mineral oil after every shave when I learned this, never rusted again.

Dry climate now and I continue this just because it's dang easy and protective: drip one drip into each side of the hinge, a little on each side of the blade and rub it around a little on each side, then put the blade away. Takes maybe 10 seconds and nothing no matter how antique rusts. Worth doing regardless of climate and a little oiler bottle of mineral oil lasts forever
I just put a drop or two on the side of my palm and palm strop to apply the oil. The pivot pin is not oiled that frequently.

Top Bottom