What's new

Straight Razors and why?

So I shaved for 10 years with DE and thought I would go back to straights. Well I just purchased a Feather DE and a feather blade. I had the best shave ever. No maintenance new blade if I want every day. Just a light cleaning and a blade done. Straights honing, strop a lot more time and effort. And before someone says I don’t have good straights I have top-of-the-line and they are honed by Doc I don’t know how much better I could get. The simple drop a blade in to my Feather, Fatboy, Red tip, Blue tip and so on. VS my Dorko, Filarmonica, Tanifuji and so on. So I know that it is not the razor. Tell me what your experience is right now I’m torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of buying my first straight razor, why? just because I want to try it but I 100% agree that straights are much more maintenance then DE razors. Especially if you consider that I bought 100 Nacet blades for $8. I'm just interested to see where the straight razor journey takes me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
DE for me.

I don't mind the occasional straight shave, but it's too much hassle to do regularly. I can also go horizontally below the jaw far easier with a DE, which I have to do if I want the closest shaves. Straights are a compromise in every respect for me, but it's fun to do once in a while.

Well it has been fun but at large cost because I wanted some of the best makes out there. Great people on the forum and fun all the way around. But with the way life is simple and always sharp and a great shave every time. Its a tough choice. I have been on the straight band wagon twice. Just looking for the perfect shave.

DE for me.

I don't mind the occasional straight shave, but it's too much hassle to do regularly. I can also go horizontally below the jaw far easier with a DE, which I have to do if I want the closest shaves. Straights are a compromise in every respect for me, but it's fun to do once in a while.
I agree but not for the every day.

I dabble with straights from time to time. Some people like the feeling of dragging a naked blade across their skin to shave with and others still find that honing and stropping to be just as enjoyable as shaving with an edge that they made.
To each their own. The world of shaving is big enough for all different kinds of razors and while I prefer a DE because it doesnt have the hassle of a traditional straight, I get why people love them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Badkarma, I and many others here regard shavette style razors as straight razors. There are two main types, disposable blade and traditional. Both are similar to shave with but different.

I rotate through both types of SR's. I also enjoy the one to two minutes of traditional SR maintenance after each shave. You and others may not. Whatever SR we use, the main thing is that we enjoy shaving with them.

The feather ASD1 w/ a feather blade was really smooth shaver when i had one. I also love a vintage merkur slant that I have. The cobra classic SE was amazing! even better. Not exactly sure why I sold that one... The straights are fun and a great change of pace. Set the blades aside for a while.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I straight shave every day. Straight razors are sharper than disposable blades. A lot sharper. If a disposable is sharper than your professionally honed straight, your stropping needs work.
I agree with you, however some are more comfortable (or use to) a not-so-keen edge. The main thing is that the shaver is happy with the standard of edge that he has and enjoys his shaves.

I prefer the keenest edge that I can get and maintain off a 0.1u diamond pasted hanging balsa strop. Until something better might come along, I'm happy with that.

I shave with straights everyday as they are sharper and more comfortable on my sensitive skin than any DE combo. My shave are closer and my skin feels softer than DE/feather after shaves. 3 pass straight shaves takes me 15min.

Once honed they need 60seconds stropping to maintain. Even a edge refresh takes 5min or less.

It's Badger and Blade's fault. It's all you guys. For years I happily shaved with a straight or a safety razor. Not much difference in the experience. My shave aspirations were low. I didn't hone for myself, I used cheap highstreet brushes and terrible shaving soap. There was little luxury or pleasure - just utility.

Then I started reading the advice of this community which corrupted me. Starting with DE's, silver tip brushes, good boar brushes, fancy schmancy, shaving soap and then worst of all hones and honing.

The upshot?

My shaving standards are higher. This means I like BBS. I like a really satisfying shave. It takes me 3-4 passes with a DE but only 2 with a straight. So for speed and convenience the straight wins out.

The other thing is that you all got me into another hobby - honing. Whilst this a different pastime in my head, if I have honed up a few razors I naturally want to use them.

I enjoy my DE razors just as much, but there are a couple of reasons there why I reach for a straight.

easier on my skin and smoooooooooth.

plus even though I dont have all the stones and stuff I need yet, I have an investment in stones already.

if this didnt pan out (too late) I'd have some very sharp hunting knives!!!!!

camo

I've never liked Feather blades in any format - so there's that. I get way better shaves from edges I hone myself. Disposable blade razors are less maintenance, sure - but that's not a game maker or breaker for me. Carts were easier too, but that didn't age well. Bottom line is though, all that matters is the shave. If Feather blades shave you better than the edges you're paying for, then stick with Feathers I guess. There's nothing to be torn over, it is what it is. It's just shaving, do what feels best for you.

Bad Karma, seemed like you answered your own question at first, and at the end you seem to want to be talked into the investment. it's your answer to find for you, and I think I know where you're at.

you've already spent the money, but you'd also likely get most of it all back if you sold off your straights.

why is for each of us to answer for ourselves. my answers shouldn't affect yours. yours won't affect mine.

and as someone else has said here somewhere, "it's just shaving."

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I love the all aspects of straight shaving, from trying to maintain blade to shaving. I shave every other day and dont rush it. I put on some good music and it makes the shave nice and relaxing.
My commiserations to you. I SR shave every day and sometimes twice, whether I need it or not, just for the shear pleasure of doing so.

@Badkarma you are absolutely right. Straight razors are a PITA and not worth the effort. Just pack them all up and send them to me and be done with it. Your house will be a lot safer without all those straights hanging around and you will have more space in the den for DE’s. Do you have any stones and strops that you could send me too? I’m currently deluded in thinking the SR’s offer a good shaving experience. I will probably see the light eventually though.

I don't buy that for a minute. Not for one second because it's simply not true. In fact this is completely FALSE.
Straight razors are NOT sharper than DE blades. They are nowhere close to as sharp.

Are surgical scalpels sharper than razor blades?
A surgical scalpel is many times sharper than a straight razor and almost as sharp as many of the sharpest DE blades.

You should handle a surgical scalpel sometime. They are deliberately not over sharp.

Top Bottom