What's new

Straight razors and TSA

Due to travel, I asked my son to deliver a straight to my parents, for ultimate delivery to a cousin. He was to do this today before flying back to his home in FL.

Just received a torrent of texts from him (kids seem to forget they can call people with their phones), telling me that A) he forgot to deliver the razor to my parents, and B) he travelled via air to FL with the straight in his carry on.

An "oh my goodness" situation, all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually carry a Feather RG folding shavette in a plastic toothbrush box with the blade in a separate container when I travel by plane. I know they can see it on the x-ray machine, but I have never had a problem.

My Parker (unloaded), with custom scales, was confiscated at Osaka airport. They let me carry on the pack of Feather SuperPros, but took the razor even after I tried explaining and demonstrating it was not sharp whatsoever.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My Parker (unloaded), with custom scales, was confiscated at Osaka airport. They let me carry on the pack of Feather SuperPros, but took the razor even after I tried explaining and demonstrating it was not sharp whatsoever.

Probably trying to force you to buy a Feather AC.

I travel every week and im not surprised it go through....although you never know what the policy of the week will be so i check my luggage with my straights. Last time i went through they told me my breifcase had to many cables and that i didnt need then all, funny things is they have been traveling with me like that for 8 years, xrayed at least 4 times a week and no one ever complained till i got a newby.... :p

My Parker was a beauty

$IMG_5049.JPG

But just so we're clear: Straight razors, razor blades, and anything with a razor blade in it are big no-nos in carry on luggage. You may be fortunate and have a TSA agent fall asleep at the machine, but if the TSA sees it, they'll take it away. And you may find yourself delayed and/or put on an unpleasant list. Remember: It was dudes carrying on box cutters who started this whole mess in September of 2001.

Whatever happened to checking items like that through? Granted it was pre-911, but I remember forgetting that I had my Buck knife Ranger in my pocket and they let me check it. Cuticle scissors, clippers, nail file, and 4oz of liquid they can throw in the trash but you would think some sort of allowance be made in the event that you forget your $300 Hart Razor in your carry on by mistake.

Whatever happened to checking items like that through? Granted it was pre-911, but I remember forgetting that I had my Buck knife Ranger in my pocket and they let me check it. Cuticle scissors, clippers, nail file, and 4oz of liquid they can throw in the trash but you would think some sort of allowance be made in the event that you forget your $300 Hart Razor in your carry on by mistake.

The issue was that he forgot it was on his person, and he didn't figure this out until he got home.

Glad nothing happened to the razor. :)

I have gotten away with DE and an injector but never tried a straight.

I forgot to put my pocket knife in my checked luggage and set the alarm off in the Denver airport. The TSA guy was really nice and sent me upstairs to the little post office to mail it home. The lady in the post office said that they did dozens a day and that they processed more of the little boxes than any other post office in the country

Flying out of Orlando (MCO) bringing my Dad back for burial at the National Cemetery in Chattanooga. That caused enough confusion on its own. Best part was me though. Seems I just could not get through that metal detector. Five-six attempts were all in vain. Oh...turns out the 2" square of foil wrapped chocolare in my front pocket was the demon....sign

Ironically after flying around the US and Europe for many years, I bought a new wallet. When swapping the contents out I found this...been carrying it all that time. Forgot I had it.

$IMG_0909.JPG

Handy gizmo which went through Hartsfield, Orlando, JFK, LaGuardia, Logan, Dublin, Schipol, and a number of others without so much as a burp. Go figure.....

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Flying out of Orlando (MCO) bringing my Dad back for burial at the National Cemetery in Chattanooga. That caused enough confusion on its own. Best part was me though. Seems Ii just could not get through that metal detector. Five-six attempts were all in vain. Oh...turns out the 2" square of foil wrapped chocolare in my front pocket was the demon....sign

Ironically after flying around the US and Europe for many years, I bought a new wallet. When swapping the contents out I found this...been carrying it all that time. Forgot I had it.

View attachment 715684

Handy gizmo which went through Hartsfield, Orlando, JFK, LaGuardia, Logan, Dublin, Schipol, and a number od others without so much as a burp. Go figure.....

Hilarious! And kinda sad and scary, if ya get my drift. Hopefully you had no bombs in your underwear.....and you didn't run into an old friend named Jack that you yelled a hello at.

Top Bottom