What's new

Straight razors and shave soap

I have honed my straight so that it is about as sharp as my shavette, perhaps even sharper. That solved a lot of issues. Now I need to solve an issue with the shave soap. No matter how I prepare the lather, the razor doesn't glide as it does with a DE razor. I have gone from very wet lather to fairly thick with the same results. I have noticed an improvement when I keep the angle around 30 degrees, perhaps slightly less. However, far too often I find the razor dragging on the skin rather than sliding. Does anyone have a recommendation to fix this issue? I love the challenge of the straight and the lack of razor burn, but this makes it more difficult to get a BBS shave. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Perhaps try an angle of less than 30 degrees and slightly firmer skin stretching?

Not all soaps are perfectly optimal for SR shaving, but there should be no issue using any bit the worst of shave soaps for an open blade. Some work better of course, but any should work if you’re confident with it. I’ve gotten good shaves with everything from Proraso and La Toja to LNHC and CBL.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t believe it has to do with your soap especially since you have tried a wetter lather. My guess is that you are holding your razor at too wide a width. It shouldn’t be more than a spine’s width. If you are using a Gold Dollar, perhaps a bit more.

I will try keeping the razor at a smaller angle and see where it leads. Thanks for the comments.

Some soaps are better than others for straights.
Any recommendations? I find Haslinger works best of the ones I have tried. This includes Tobac, Stirling, and Maggard's. Maggard's Artisan was actually better than Haslinger, now that I think about it.

I've found wholly kaw and saponificio varesino to be the best for straights so far. Basically any soap with crazy residual slickness does the trick for me.

The big difference for me was to finish the SR on chromium oxide. Changed the grab-and-cut feeling to just a smooth slicing feeling.

The big difference for me was to finish the SR on chromium oxide. Changed the grab-and-cut feeling to just a smooth slicing feeling.
Is there a lapping film that can create a similar finish? Stones are far above my budget.

Is there a lapping film that can create a similar finish? Stones are far above my budget.

If you have gotten your SR as sharp as your shavette, i would only consider a chromium oxide finish. You could get the same result with lapping film i think, i have never tried it. I sharpen, hone and polish on a set of shaptons.

If you have gotten your SR as sharp as your shavette, i would only consider a chromium oxide finish. You could get the same result with lapping film i think, i have never tried it. I sharpen, hone and polish on a set of shaptons.
I will have to check the balsam strop I have. I know it has a different coating, but I don't recall what off hand.

You should not be having problems at 1 micron, roughly 12k.
Try another soap, wet lather.
I will try adjusting the soap. I am surprised it doesn't provide more glide, but perhaps I need to try each soap. Thanks for the advice.

I don't think soap makes much difference in how close a shave you get. A wetter lather may make the shave go easier but how close you get will depend on how sharp the blade is and on the blade angle.

I don't think soap makes much difference in how close a shave you get. A wetter lather may make the shave go easier but how close you get will depend on how sharp the blade is and on the blade angle.

His issue is that the razor does not glide.
A slippery soap is a must, and no, they do not all fit that bill.

Top Bottom