What's new

Straight Razor with the method?

Just out of interest, does anybody here use a straight razor with the full complement of Hydrolast products? How does the RMWS work with a straight edge? Or, is there any particular reason that a DE is preferred over a straight?

That may be a good question for CAR. From conversations that I have had with him, he indicated that his products worked better with faster razor strokes. This would lead me to believe that a straight might not be the best choice. If this is something you're really interested in, you should definitely give him a call. He should know his products' strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks Kyle. I am very keen on the idea of getting a straight; but lately I have had real trouble getting my lather to the point where it is lubricious enough to shave well. The way I mix hasn't changrd a bit, and I never had a problem in the past, but lately all of my shaves have been subpar because of this. This lather problem is bad enough when using a DE, I can't imagine how bad it would be with a straight; that's why I thought that the RMWS might be the solution. However, reading your comment's, and all the theory surrounding the concept of velocity with Method Shaving, it may not be the best idea.

I use a straight because its smoother than a DE. I often do a second pass without any lather at all. I'd never try that with a DE. . . well I did once and it took a few days to recover.

Stropping the blade (correctly) before every shave gives the blade a smoothness which almost supports (almost) the more watery lather produced by poor results. In fact a perfect lather dries up before you get done shaving in the first 10 or so trys.

I assume your working your lather issue in another thread . . .if not try water that isn't so hot, varied cream/water consistencies, not adding water to the brush just measure BOTH the cream and the water and putting both into the bowl, and finally using a different water supply (not out of the tap).

A straight shouldn't be used quickly. A straight is meant to be used with slow strokes. It demands respect that way.

Thanks for the advice. With regard to my lather issues, the only problem I had initially was the hardness of my local water supply, once I started using RO water I didn't have any problems. Nothing has changed, but lately all I can manage is a thin, dessicated lather that dries out on my face. I have tried lathering with different amounts of cream and water with different ratios but all to no avail. The one thing I haven't tried is lowering the water temp, so hopefully that might help. It really is annoying, because until recently lathering was the one area of DE shaving where I hadn't had any major problems.

Alex,
As you've mentioned that some of your shave creams are separating, could this factor in to your lather issues?

Kyle said:
Alex,
As you've mentioned that some of your shave creams are separating, could this factor in to your lather issues?

Could be. I had the Taylor's Rose in the fridge overnight though and this morning's shave wasn't much better. The real problem seems to be that the lather is too thin and dries too quickly. The obvious solution was to increase the water content in my mix but this hasn't had any impact. Using the Hydrolast Cube has helped, but I don't think that my brushes are ideally suited to getting the most out of the Cube.:confused:

That is odd; to me too thin and dries to fast are antagonists of each other. If the water is too hot that may dry it out faster. I would try less water any time my cream is thin, I mean its never too thin for me right out of the tub.

Just brainstroming a little:

Sometimes I just toss the brush out of the picture and put a little cream on my finger tips and rub it in by hand (using the whiskers as the "brush"). Dipping my hands into the sink on occasion to keep the cream wet. It never gets runny because my hands don't hold water like a brush and therefore I never apply too much water.

Does the RO process include filters that need to be changed?

Hope things get better for you.

AFDavis11 said:
That is odd; to me too thin and dries to fast are antagonists of each other. If the water is too hot that may dry it out faster. I would try less water any time my cream is thin, I mean its never too thin for me right out of the tub.

Just brainstroming a little:

Sometimes I just toss the brush out of the picture and put a little cream on my finger tips and rub it in by hand (using the whiskers as the "brush"). Dipping my hands into the sink on occasion to keep the cream wet. It never gets runny because my hands don't hold water like a brush and therefore I never apply too much water.

Does the RO process include filters that need to be changed?

Hope things get better for you.

Thankyou for the encouragement and helpful suggestions (you too Kyle.)
As for the RO unit, it has pre and post filters that need to be changed every six months; I have had the unit for 3 months and have changed the filter's twice (I'm a little obsessive like that.) The RO membranes themselves should be good for at least a year, the only thing that could really damage them is water that is way too hot (i.e boiling) so I don't think there is any reason for them not to be working. Like I said before, the really annoying thing is nothing has changed in the process yet the lather is practically non existant now.

I'm going to go with AFDavis here and say maybe you should try a little bit less water and a little bit more cream. I personally like to mix my lather a little bit too dry (which creates a gloriously thick & rich lather) and then slowly add/mix the appropriate amount of water in.

Hi Alex,

I am going to suggest this method to help you identify the source of your problem: Get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store, they usually go for a buck. In a bowl place one tablespoon of distilled water and 3/4 teaspoon of cream. Make a lather with your brush in the bowl. If you don't get thick rich lather from that combination you have a technique problem. If you do get thick rich lather, you have a hard water problem. Hope this helps.

Chris

Top Bottom