What's new

Straight Razor: What do you suggest to buy?

Hi,

i read a lot about straight razor, and after try a DE for several months i decided that it's time to try a straight.

Do you have some suggestion or a guide to buy a good straight?

I don't have a big amount of money to spent...

I see several nice product in china, but they are good or not?

Thanks

I highly recommend purchasing a shave ready vintage razor and an economy strop. I purchased one from Glen at Gemstar and was very pleased. Having it professionally honed gives a good idea of what to expect if you decide to do it yourself in the future. My strop came from Larry at Whipped Dog, poor man's strop if I recall correctly, and was very affordable.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I believe the cheapest "new" straight razor most people approve of is the Dovo which I believe can be found for around 80$ ish dollars? then there is Theirs issard and Boker that still make razors for not a crazy price. I have not tried any of these razors so I can't personally say.

For a vintage razor which I would recommend I would shop here Vintage Straight Razors

Just know you will need a strop too. Looking at like 200$ for a good starter kit.
This guy sells a razor/strop kit for 65$ however the razor might not look pretty. You could ask him though for a selection of razors to choose from maybe. I have had good experience with this vendor and I think others have as well
Giving you the edge that you and your razor deserve! by SylverSteel

If you want inexpensive, a vintage razor is your best bet. Finding one that’s properly shave ready will be a challenge. Most of the Chinese offerings will need a good bit of work that you aren’t ready to do to get a good shaving experience.

For the razor itself, most would recommend a 5/8 or 6/8 razor, full hollow. Some would recommend a 1/2 hollow, but I think a full (1/1 in Germany) works better. The edge will flex slightly over your face, and as a half hollow edge starts to be less sharp, it can tend to skip on your face in my experience.

Good luck with your search

I would buy several different size Vintage Staights too see what size and grind you prefer.5/8 or 6/8 would probably be a good starting point.Hollow ground blades will give you more audible feedback .

Only a problem... i don't live in USA but Europe

If buying from the UK is an option there is seller, billyji1, who sells truly shave ready razors and good strops.

There is also a Bulgarian seller, viliok, that sells beautifully restored vintage razors, although I feel his need a little additional stropping with paste - if you choose this option read about chromium oxide paste.

The two options mentioned by @Lightcs1776 have renounced reputations - even though they are US based they may also be worth checking out cost wise.

Finally look for forum members who sell - a clue is looking at who restores a lot of razors on the honing pages.

Hi,

i read a lot about straight razor, and after try a DE for several months i decided that it's time to try a straight.

Do you have some suggestion or a guide to buy a good straight?

I don't have a big amount of money to spent...

I see several nice product in china, but they are good or not?

Thanks

If it were me and I wanted to test the waters without dumping a lot of money until I figured out if I would like to shave with a str8 I would first look to a 5/8 as they are cheaper. Then I would look to the likes of a fine German blade like a simple Ralf Aust with a round point for roughly $120 and I have seen them for around $105 at times. My other pick would be a simple Dovo Best Quality 5/8 which I have seen around $96 on some sites.

Now if you want to test the waters with a larger usually more expensive str8 like a 6/8 size or so you may want to look to a used razor. There is your best deals in any size most often, trouble is for a newbie you have to know what you are looking at and know how to determine if it has been taken care of and is honed properly.

A new razor if bought from the sources I buy from when I buy new I know I am getting a correctly honed razor.

Then you need to consider grind.....I will say uniformally to start with a hollow to full hollow so you get loads of feedback. Plus they are easier to hone once you start doing your own honing in my book.

So that said...….I would quite possibly look to a new simple 5/8 to start out. I think most folks start with that sizing. Now after years of shaving with a str8 I prefer the larger sizing like 6/8 to 8/8 which for a beginner I am not sure I would start there. The smaller sizing will allow you to get use to str8 shaving and develop a very good technique. Which brings me to "Technique", whole different matter that you will get feedback on too.

Good luck!

In EU look at Revisor. They make really nice 5/8 and 6/8 under their own label that are ground well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re going to get the best and safest deal here on the BST. European shipping (although a pain) can be accomplished and not sickly expensive. Take a good look around over on the BST site. Many treasures to be had.
Unless you REALLY know your way around the rodeo, avoid eBay. Enough said on that.
As mentioned earlier, Ralf Aust is a hands down winner if you are looking for a new, EU purchased razor. I have a few and each is a true joy.
Koraat in Austria is a magnificent razor...spendy though.
Revisor gets a lot of good press. I have no first hand experience with them.

Last edited:
Revisor provides great razors at reasonable prices. The scales are very serviceable. That said, the scale quality of mine doesn't match the quality of the blade. But, I'd rather spend my money on the blade.

Sadly i don't have a big budget.... for that i'm watching if exist a good solution on "cheap price" or stop the search and invest into a better DE razor.

Sadly i don't have a big budget.... for that i'm watching if exist a good solution on "cheap price" or stop the search and invest into a better DE razor.

Check the Buy/Sell threads on the EU shaving forums. They probably have good deals in your price range

Look for a razor on the bay, expect to need to have it sharpened, look particularly for deep pits, especially near the edge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Number one piece of advice: Do not be in a hurry to get a straight razor. You have a lot of homework to do first.

I've gotten a good many very nice razors from eBay vendors but I don't know jack about buying them in Europe.

Real.German.HollowGround.640.2-9-19JPG.JPG

That's a good but cheap eBay razor, but I spend a lot of time finding bargains and I have a pretty good idea (from studying material on B&B and from trial and error, etc.) how to buy the right stuff on eBay and how to avoid junk. I also know how to sharpen my own razors and have the stones and such to do the job.

I would suggest not buying one of the Chinese razors and definitely don't buy anything from Pakistan.

You should do considerable homework before buying anything and even more so with a very limited budget. The whole straight razor thing is a huge rabbit hole. You don't need to have the nicest stuff in the world but you need to have a good basic kit. You must know what that means before jumping in.

Many people on B&B buy tons of things they don't need. Including me. A few here buy the minimal amount and actually save money shaving this way, but that requires homework and some patience.

Good luck. Ask questions. Read a lot. Ask more questions. Don't be in a hurry here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey im new as well, and Ive been a member of this site for about an hour. Please for give me if im asking questions that have already been answered. there are so many pros and con web sites about different SR would I would to start on a small budget . Is the gold dollar 800 ready shave a good idea? Im not comfortable with sharping one. since ive never tried.
thank You

Top Bottom