What's new

straight razor thumb notches - what's the difference?

As I contemplate my next fix, I've become transfixed with the different designs for thumb notch area. There are many variations from a full tang width blocky shoulder to nicely sloped, full radius cutouts. So, I'm wondering about the plus/minus of each type and how it affects the feel, maneuvering, angle adjustment, grip, etc. Does it really affect anything? Are they just different appearance styles for personal preference? Both of my razors have blocky thumb notches and I was wondering if the thumb notch was worth paying attention to. I'm not worried about jimps, or rubber grips, or other things to aid with grip, just the thumb notch itself. Is the thumb notch design not really something that needs attention?

Esthetically it looks good to me, and during the shave it makes holding the razor a bit easier, but I am liking them less and less.
I find the thumb notch takes valuable metal away from the tang and reduces the grip area while honing, and especially stropping. Probably just me as most folks seem to love the thumbnotches. I'm leaning more towards big fat tangs with mondo jimps to aid in the gripping during the shave and stropping.

Last edited:
I think thumbnotches are nice to look at and make a more interesting shape to the blade, and make it slightly more comfortable to hold during the shave but also agree that stropping and honing is easier without a thumbnotch but with a beefier tang with jimps.

I love 'em! Looks & functionality!

Slight difference when stropping, but nothing negative, just a feature that requires some adjustment.

Esthetically it looks good to me, and during the shave it makes holding the razor a bit easier, but I am liking them less and less.
I find the thumb notch takes valuable metal away from the tang and reduces the grip area while honing, and especially stropping. Probably just me as most folks seem to love the thumbnotches. I'm leaning more towards big fat tangs with mondo jimps to aid in the gripping during the shave and stropping.

Obviously, I'm a big fan...

But, as stated above, there is always a give and take....I love the notch when shaving, but it can detract from the stropping comfort...
Placement of the notch matters as well in regards to how well the razor feels while shaving with one.

I was one of... well I think the only insane mad man who did not care for his Le Grelot 1/4 hollow. One of the reasons, besides the fact that I'm just not a big fan of heavier grinds, was the thumb notch. I didn't care for how close it felt to the edge, and every time I gripped the blade to shave it almost felt like my thumb was going to slide down the edge and just slice wide open. Of course this never happened, but because there were no jimps there were a few "close calls." I also didn't care for how it handled because of this notch.

However, having said that, my Erik Anton Berg 6/8 frameback has a lovely thumb notch that I am crazy about. I think the reason for me liking this one over the other is that this one is shallow, and has a larger space between the notch and the blade edge, which feels better to me when handling the razor around my face. But, there are tons of men who readily disagree with me, so I guess my only advice is to try as many as you can to find out for yourself! I don't notice any real differences when honing or stropping with thumb notches either.

Top Bottom