What's new

Straight Razor Storage for Rotation

I know many of you have more than one straight in your arsenal. I have now gathered 6 so it's growing at a steady pace.

I wanted to know how you guys store your straights. I have looked around and some people use kitchen cutlery cases, modified cigar boxes, storage boxes, wood display stands, metal display stands. I know some of you have 50+ razors where you may solely use a 7 day rotation with the occasional shave from another. I am interested in the ones get rotated often since I hope to keep my straight collection moderately sized.

I found some other threads but was curious to see what you guys are doing now. I would like some inspiration to see what direction I should take as well.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A toothbrush case makes a cheap and sturdy coffin. I have some nice plastic razor coffins I bought a few years ago but they are hard to get now. My regular rotation goes in this:

$20150823_191914.jpg

$20150823_192103.jpg

Cobra skin on cowhide, custom made for me while I was anchored off Chittagong, Bangladesh by Mr. Babul Des.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
When not in use, all straight are put up and out of site.
I use one a week and this mug holds a eight week rotation.
Old spice coffee cup and PVC with groove for blade.
It's frugally inexpensive and compact.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I keep all four of my straights in an artificial leather roll that came from Whipped Dog. I'll eventually acquire more, and I'm not certain what I plan to do for additional razors yet.

$razors in case-reszed.jpg

I make my weekly selection from the cigar box, then they go to the hanging rack, bought both off ebay.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 218
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 217
A cigar box works great and is cheap!

Is the red insert part of the cigar box or did you DIY it?

These are some great options guys! Love the ideas. So I know moisture is bad for the razors and for the open stands/racks, are there any concerns with moisture build up if left in the bathroom?

I never worried about this with DE since switching out blades is really cheap but the investment in straights is all in the blade.

I built some modular razor holders (out of oak and felt) that fit into my vanity drawers. Each unit holds a week's worth razors and can be easily shuffled (or removed). They come in very handy when I have some needed edge touch-up to do on the honing table.
proxy.php

proxy.php

$SafariScreenSnapz432.jpg

These are some great options guys! Love the ideas. So I know moisture is bad for the razors and for the open stands/racks, are there any concerns with moisture build up if left in the bathroom?

I never worried about this with DE since switching out blades is really cheap but the investment in straights is all in the blade.

If you leave them in the bathroom with no oil on them you will get rust. I keep mine out of the bathroom and oiled. I use gun oil because I have it. You can use just about anything. Motor oil,petroleum jelly, etc.

Is the red insert part of the cigar box or did you DIY it?

Notice some of the etched flowers look a bit dark, a bit reddish? Well, this Aust was in my rotation for about 6 weeks hanging on the rack that I moved into the bathroom. Before the rack was in the master on top of a dresser and rust wasnt a problem. Glad I caught it when I did, shooting photos for the SOTD, one of my Hart's also had a dot or two and it was in the rotation the same amount of time. 1k wet/dry paper and some oil addressed the problem. Needless to say the rack got moved back into the master.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 164
Gents,

Moisture is bad for straights. I would advise against keeping them inside your bathroom unless they are properly oiled with something like Ballistol which is the stuff I recommended for any kind of job.

There is a way to avoid corrosion. It is used for pipelines and the hull of boats: cathodic protection. All you have to do is run a low voltage current through the metal and it prevents corrosion as it keeps moving all electrons in one direction. (more info about the science behind it can be found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection).
So basically a rack that would be connected to a power source, and have current running through each blade by having one contact on the tang and one on the toe would prevent any corrosion.

I have not tried that as my rotation is triple digits and hidden on 2 secret shelves in one closet. My rotation strategy is 2 shelves: I take from one and put on the other until the first one is empty and then a reverse the operation (it take a year).

Top Bottom