What's new

Straight razor sizes

So I bought my first straight razor a few months ago, A Dovo Best quality 5/8. I'm getting on ok with it considering.

Just wanted to know how the other larger razors differ?

I think the smaller sizes allow more mauverbility around some areas, I have heard the smaller ones 1/2" are harder to strop but who knows, I have never used the larger sizes I think the biggest I have is 7/8 but would be willing to try one of those meat cleavers

It's mainly feel in hand as well as your face .... If you have facial hair a 5/8 or 4/8 is way more maneuverable and shaves great ( depending on steel and upkeep ). If you want weight and a more hefty feel 6/8 or, larger will just feel right and more balanced. This is really 100% preference I get great shaves from all sizes as long it is a quality blade and great technique is used.

For me, 5/8-6/8" are the most common sizes for good reason. They work very, very well and offer a good compromise of maneuverability and heft. I'll break out an 8/8" now and then for fun; but the tried and true 11/16" razors get called to action most often.

I have down to 3/8 and, as noted above, find this small a hard one to strop without potentially rolling the edge. I have a couple of 4/8 and 9/16 and find these perfectly straightforward to strop.

I've not shaved with anything over a 6/8 but do like the look of some 7/8 wedges :w00t: ... for the "bad ***" factor, you know what I'm sayin'.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
For me, 5/8-6/8" are the most common sizes for good reason. They work very, very well and offer a good compromise of maneuverability and heft. I'll break out an 8/8" now and then for fun; but the tried and true 11/16" razors get called to action most often.

I'm partial to 11/16 too, a very good compromise between width and maneuverability.

Cheers, Steve

and I've found, from 8/8 down to 4/8, that the smaller you go, the more critical maintaining awareness of the blade angle is. it's easier, or more forgiving to be a bit sloppy with blade angle the bigger the blade is. I have a CVH No 24, 1/4 hollow 4/8 that's a stiff little, ridiculously maneuverable blade. my first shave with it I rolled the blade into my face and consequently the toe bit me. never happened again, but it made me pay more attention to the angle since, with my other smaller blades too.

and I've found, from 8/8 down to 4/8, that the smaller you go, the more critical maintaining awareness of the blade angle is. it's easier, or more forgiving to be a bit sloppy with blade angle the bigger the blade is. I have a CVH No 24, 1/4 hollow 4/8 that's a stiff little, ridiculously maneuverable blade. my first shave with it I rolled the blade into my face and consequently the toe bit me. never happened again, but it made me pay more attention to the angle since, with my other smaller blades too.

Yup, small guys aren't all peaches and cream. They have their drawbacks as well.

When I was starting out, I found it easier to shave with a 6/8 or even 7/8 than my 5/8 razors. Could be due to angle requirement...not sure.

These days I much prefer 7/8 and 6/8 razors. In that order.

When I was starting out, I found it easier to shave with a 6/8 or even 7/8 than my 5/8 razors. Could be due to angle requirement...not sure.

These days I much prefer 7/8 and 6/8 razors. In that order.

Get a Gold Dollar, they seem to always measure in at 13/16"...

Top Bottom