What's new

Straight razor shaves are superior to DE shaves (for me...)

This is obviously my opinion, based on my own experience. So here is my story, and why I think SR shaves are far superior to DE shaves.
I have been wetshaving for 6 years now, started with a DE, and 2 months ago I got myself a Wade & Butcher for my birthday, and that was when everything changed.
in all of my 6 years od wetshaving, I can say that I have never achieved a BBS shave on my neck without some sort of razor burn or weepers with a DE. I can also say with great confidence that this is not because of poor technique, prep etc.
I have tried every type of preshave product and preshave routine, from hot towels to showers with creams and soaps and so forth. I have also tried every possible type of blade in every single type of razor.
I have tried it all, and have yet to achieve a BBS shave on my neck with a DE.
3 years ago I decided to try out a SR, so I got a dovo and used that on and ooff for 6 months, and then I stopped because life got in the way.
That Dovo was crap, 2 months ago I got myself a Wade & Butcher for my birthday. Since then I have maybe used my DE 3 times, and I have achieved a BBS shave on my neck and my entire face with zero irritation or weepers on pretty much every shave in the last month.
I still remember that first time I got that great BBS shave all over, and it blew my mind.
So why am I writing this post? Well I can honestly say that my recent shaves with this Wade & Butcher has revived my interest in wetshaving. before I got it my interest had died down completely, and my shaves had gotten to the point of routine like it used to be back in the cartridge days. I know, sounds like a nightmare! lol.. I am guessing it had come to this because my DE shaves never were anything above mediocre, and that slowly killed my interest in wetshaving..
So I am very happy to say that everything has changed for the better, and I am for the first time in around 2 years having fun with shaving again..

Well done!!
I wish I can do that too....smooth shaves without any irritation below the face.
I have 3 straights but just unable to get satisfactory and most importantly...a comfortable shave from all 3. I am too far from any known honemeister so unable to get a really shave ready edge on my razors. So for now just enjoy DE razors.

Is it a wedge Wade & Butcher SR you've got?

Well done!!
I wish I can do that too....smooth shaves without any irritation below the face.
I have 3 straights but just unable to get satisfactory and most importantly...a comfortable shave from all 3. I am too far from any known honemeister so unable to get a really shave ready edge on my razors. So for now just enjoy DE razors.

Is it a wedge Wade & Butcher SR you've got?
It's actually a hollow ground Special W&B, but I am waiting to receive a W&B FBU Wedge soon, but due to shipping delays that might take a while :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 14
very nice! looks good!

That Dovo was crap,

Well done!!

Guys, i don't know where you are at but we can talk about looking at that dovo from alla2465 and a blade from chard52142. Maybe post some basic pics and if they are decent blades, i can check them out, provide some feedback and hone them up and send 'em back (just pay for return postage of your choice).

Hey thanks @global_dev...
I am too far away in Malaysia...that's why I am unable to find someone to hone my SRs properly...
Here's some pictures of my SRs
20200509_150521.jpg

I recently tried honing them with film but unsatisfactory results..
Close-up of 2 ...
20200702_220416.jpg

20200702_220455.jpg

20200702_220820.jpg

20200702_220853.jpg

Thanks for looking and any tips....

chard, I have 2 77s that take a fabulous edge. that one looks great! the friodur should hone up fine even with the biased hone wear across the blade. The zy should be fine, based on my experience with GD66s.

why don't you start a new thread and walk us through your process of honing.

very nice! looks good!

Guys, i don't know where you are at but we can talk about looking at that dovo from alla2465 and a blade from chard52142. Maybe post some basic pics and if they are decent blades, i can check them out, provide some feedback and hone them up and send 'em back (just pay for return postage of your choice).
Thanks for the offer, but that Dovo is long gone, I traded it years ago

I've eyed the Feather Artist Club Kamisori but have yet to pull the trigger. Just replace the blade - no need for honing. It seems that the reviews I've seen on it are positive as well.

-
chard, I have 2 77s that take a fabulous edge. that one looks great! the friodur should hone up fine even with the biased hone wear across the blade. The zy should be fine, based on my experience with GD66s.

why don't you start a new thread and walk us through your process of honing.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I will start a new thread sharing and asking for assistance regarding honing on the straight razor forum/section.

Top Bottom