What's new

Straight razor shavers and goatees

I watched a few YouTube shavers while I was learning to straight razor shave and it was quite frustrating as the most difficult areas for me to learn were the chin and jaw and top lip especially atg.
Yet I found about 95% of the YouTube shavers I watched had goatees and as such completely avoided this area. Of those that did shave these areas only one or two went atg there.
Are goatees more common among straight razor users that the general population? Are they grown because we all love Marvin Hagler or is it that it’s too much of a nuisance NOT to have a goatee when using a straight? For me the whole point of a straight (or any razor) is a desire to get a great all over shave, wouldn’t it be ironic if that Very desire led to one needing a beard?

I watched a few YouTube shavers while I was learning to straight razor shave and it was quite frustrating as the most difficult areas for me to learn were the chin and jaw and top lip especially atg.
Yet I found about 95% of the YouTube shavers I watched had goatees and as such completely avoided this area. Of those that did shave these areas only one or two went atg there.
Are goatees more common among straight razor users that the general population? Are they grown because we all love Marvin Hagler or is it that it’s too much of a nuisance NOT to have a goatee when using a straight? For me the whole point of a straight (or any razor) is a desire to get a great all over shave, wouldn’t it be ironic if that Very desire led to one needing a beard?

For my part, I started straight razor shaving after I already had a goatee. Even if I did not, I would be cautious about shaving the upper lip ATG. They call it the Fool's Cut for a reason. That said, a full shave can be done, and done well.

I go ATG everywhere except the upper lip. Mainly due to superstition. My dad and grandfather didn’t because that area is highly innervated. Back in the day cuts there could be very serious since antibiotics and hygiene were not what they are today. They taught me how they did it so that bit of knowledge got passed too. I can do it but I just don’t out of habit.

When shaving the chin ATG flatten as much as possible and do it in small sections using the heel of the blade. Gives you more control and feedback. Hope this helps and just know there are plenty of straight shavers that are clean shaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago, I cut my upper lip with a straight razor. While the lip was healing, I let my mustache grow. I liked the way it looked, so I still have it. My chin is difficult to shave as the grain direction goes every which way, but so far, I have not gone with a goatee.

I too had a goatee and stash before i got into straights. But i had also noticed what you have noticed when i first sfarted watching shaving vids.

I've noticed this too.

Personally, I've never has a goatee. I've never went against the grain on my whole upper lip. Just the sides when I did ATG passes (I no longer do them).

On my upper lip I've always used an obtuse angle and the shaves have been great. I've adopted this approach for my whole face and only do one pass and it works a treat.

Chris

For my part, I started straight razor shaving after I already had a goatee. Even if I did not, I would be cautious about shaving the upper lip ATG. They call it the Fool's Cut for a reason. That said, a full shave can be done, and done well.

Who’s they?

I have a goatee, but I have been shaving the ball of my chin so that my respirator seals better.

The majority of straight shavers that I have met in person have some facial hair and that is how many of them started using straights as they are so good for cutting in the lines.

I’ve been doing the So called ‘fools pass’ With my straight since day 1, I was far from good at first but day by day it got better. It took me 6 months to learn how to do it with my r41, then my thinking was that if I bought a straight razor for the best possible shave then I just have to learn to do it. It took many shaves to perfect it with the straight as my top lip hair is so coarse and is like a whole face unto itself as the hair grows in many directions in different area. Maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve never had a serious cut there. Plenty of slight nicks and scrapes just like everywhere else whilst learning but nothing face changing. Plus I felt like the area was a challenge, something I had to rise to and now I can do it freely and daily with both hands as well as the curve of the chin and other difficult bits. I can see how a straight is great for shaping existing beards. I’m never going to grow a goatee but if I did I could probably get a 4 pass shave done in about 5 mins as opposed to the 25-35mins it currently takes me.

I have had a mustache as long as I can remember and a goatee of some sort not much less time. Perhaps it’s because I didn’t have the added challenge of having to shave those areas too that I too up the straight razor all those years ago but I had the facial hair first. My boys both learned to use the straight right out of the gate, shaving the lip and all. They were in ROTC so a clean shave was required and the straight did the job and allowed them to touch up their necks too. I do enjoy the ability to cut in around my mustache and make straight edges with the straight (or good quality shavettes) but never considered the facial hair a crutch until it was pointed out here.

I had a goatee when I started straights approaching 2 years ago. As my technique developed I came to feel I was "cheating". So off came the goatee (with a straight of course) and I started working on learning how to shave the previously hirsute areas. Once I felt I was getting a comfortable and effective shave all over, back came the goatee.

Bottom line, I feel competent shaving my whole face, but the boss likes the goatee.

I recall a honer calling it that (DrMatt357 on Youtube). Can't find where now. He sharpens straight razors, possibly also restores them.

Ok got it. Funny thing I see that I replied to that thread you posted, four years ago. I do remember it now. Fools Pass, I get the same reaction when I hear Niagra Falls. Chaps my hide a bit. Only because I do shave my upper lip therefore they, some, would say I’m acting a fool. Reasonably speaking it’s foolish shaving with a straight regardless, don’t you think. You’re just as likely to cut the “S” out of your face anywhere you place your blade let alone against the grain under your lip. I apologize for the detour, please continue.

Ok got it. Funny thing I see that I replied to that thread you posted, four years ago. I do remember it now. Fools Pass, I get the same reaction when I hear Niagra Falls. Chaps my hide a bit. Only because I do shave my upper lip therefore they, some, would say I’m acting a fool. Reasonably speaking it’s foolish shaving with a straight regardless, don’t you think. You’re just as likely to cut the “S” out of your face anywhere you place your blade let alone against the grain under your lip. I apologize for the detour, please continue.

No worries. Calling it a Fool's Cut does not imply impossibility, just a higher degree of risk (and skill needed to do so). Dr Matt does it safely at least twice in his videos, and others do so as well.

Excluding the mustache and chin areas from a SR shave seems rather dull, so I stopped maintaining a goatee from the time I began SR shaving.

Skeered? ;) A quick tip: The Fool's Pass may see reduced risk using XTG rather than ATG -- just following in parallel the line of the upper lip, working your way from outer to inner.

I’ve been doing the So called ‘fools pass’ With my straight since day 1, I

I start my shave on my moustache.
The fools pass is where I decide whether to finish
the shave with that razor, or to remove it from
my rotation and finish with another razor.

Top Bottom