What's new

Straight Razor Picture from Museum in Nantes

Sorry to venture over here since I'm only a DE shaver (soon to try SE though which I've heard is similar in some ways to straight shaving). Regardless, I saw this razor in a museum in Nantes and took a picture of it. I don't know if this is unique at all, but it looked interesting to my eyes. It says it's a sailor's razor from the 19th century.

While I've not seen one in the flesh, I've seen photos of several two bladed straights of the same design. There have even been one or two on eBay.

One owner commented they were very difficult to use as the design has no tang and the unused blade was also a problem, tending to open if the scales were not very tight.

While I've not seen one in the flesh, I've seen photos of several two bladed straights of the same design. There have even been one or two on eBay.

One owner commented they were very difficult to use as the design has no tang and the unused blade was also a problem, tending to open if the scales were not very tight.

All true. However, I have two sets of eyes when it comes to razors. One set of eyes that look for good shavers, and another set to satisfy the collector in me. :001_smile

There's a picture of this type of razor in the razor price guide and an offhanded note about how Unusual examples have increased value. This is the only other one I've seen.

You mean you're not supposed to use both of them at the same time???

That's no fun!

Interesting piece... as for collectors its interesting however I don't know if I'd want to shave with it due to the design.

Top Bottom