What's new

Straight Razor “Magnetic” ?

I’ve seen many, and have a couple, vintage straight razors with bragging rights of being magnetic, or magnetized. What is the scientific theory behind magnetism and razors?
8C264788-8390-46C9-BBCE-0E914C257A52.jpeg

From what I've been able to find out, the company claimed to use a "process of electric tempering"; the pitch was that thermal tempering could not be done with a consistent heat, while electric tempering gave a uniform result along the entire blade. I don't know if the process actually magnetized it, but it was 'electromagnetic'.

A marketing-speak way of saying carbon steel? I use magnets to hang my straights but my stainless feather shavettes have to lay down since they are immune to the call of the magnet.

The blade on this razor is magnetic. I hope it doesn't get pulled through my cheek as it gets attracted to the metal in my fillings

Back in the 1800s magnetism was new to most people and often believed to be healthy and a natural remedy to any kind of illness. The magnetism was believed to go into the body and neutralise illness, a few people still believe in this old wifes tale.

When magnetism went out of fashion a belief in that radioactivity and X-rays was healthy took its place, hence razor names like Radium or the x-ray sign on Törnblom razors.

Don't scoff at those that held these beliefs, they weren't stupid just uneducated, besides despite today's higher level of education I frequently read stories about modern people who believe in the weirdest things.

Electricity was a super spa cure-all back in the day. Unfortunately a lot of people were electrocute. Any time something new is discovered, a snake oil salesman will try to profit from it.

Electricity bath
589FDEE1-C7BF-48B9-8953-30FB957361E7.jpeg

It also had a practical reason, the splinters stayed together, when a straight razor fell down and broke, so you had lesser risk of injuries.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is the truth.

Hair (whiskers) contain a certain amount of iron (Fe). As such, they are attracted to magnetised steel SR's. This does two things; it helps to extend the hair out of its folical and attracts the hair towards the edge. This all gives a more comfortable shave with a smoother finish.

The only downside to using a magnetic SR is that it needs about 50% longer to rest in between shaves. You also need to wipe the edge clean after each stoke during honing to remove any steel particles. All just a minor inconvenience.

Now you have your answer.

Last edited:
rbscebu, are you telling porkies?
I find it hard to believe that the amount of iron in a hair follicle is sufficient for it to be influenced by a magnetised razor.
And the "longer rest" claim cries out for a scientific explanation, not that I'm necessarily dubious about it.
Still, I agree that such a razor would be frustrating to hone, what with the grindings clinging to it and all.

I’m still sticking to the one that says the ability to be magnetized and hold onto the magnetic charge speaks to the quality of the steel and the iron content used in the razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
"Magnetic" goods, along with "radiant" goods were simply an attempt to make the buyer believe they were getting more value for money. Lest we think this is old-fashioned, how many products today are billed as "anti-bacterial?"

And just as in those days, we see people today wearing non-functional copies of more expensive and newly-fashionable goods.

O.H.

Legion

Staff member
And you can sharpen it under a pyramid.

Basically there were a squillion razors competing for market share, and they were all trying to come up with a point of difference. Most of it was snake oil. But you can’t blame them for trying.

It is kind of hard to read. Here is what the text says.

"Fire heat is never uniform; electricity can be exactly measured
and regulated as desired.
That is why the electric tempering of the Carbo-Magnetic Razor Blade is absolutely uniform from end to end.

The edge of a razor is a series of fine, but irregular teeth. Dul (sic) razors are those on which
the teeth have broken off or turned; broken off on the brittle razors turned on soft ones.
Because of the added toughness of our recarbonized steel, coupled with the flintlike hardness
created by our process of electric tempering, the teeth on the Carbo-Magnetic are so tough that
they will neither break nor bend; hence our guarantee with common sense use.
Every Carbo-Magnetic Razor is guaranteed to be and do easily what this advertisement claims for it.
From your dealer or from us, prepaid, on 30 days' free trial.

Write for our booklet "SHAVINGS"; it describes the wonderful electric tempering more fully and contains a bit of information about shaving and shaving accessories."

Top Bottom