What's new

Straight Razor Interview - Honed

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In order to keep the Interviews going, I am doing a tag team with Josh! I'm very happy to bring you an interview with one of our Stewards in the Straight Razor forum, Honed. If you have any questions for Jens, please, post them here for him! :thumbup1:

Who are you? / Where are you located?
My name is Jens, I’m born, raised & still living in Sweden. I love old thing & I love sharp things. Vintage straights are both. Lovely!

How do you take your coffee?
Black. In buckets. Especially during the winter, my daily intake reaches hazardous levels.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
I stumbled upon here, searching for some new blades when the original Swedes no longer were available. I saw some interesting subjects, signed up & the rest is history.

What was it that held your interest?
At first it was the idea that people actually could spend so much time talking about shaving. I’ve always been fascinated by “freaks”, people who wholeheartedly dissect each & every angle about a subject that is just trivial to the general crowd.

Before long I became one of myself. My wife actually anticipated that. “Didn’t you see it coming? You should know yourself better then that by now - you don’t have casual interests or hobbies - you only have obsessions” :biggrin:

If i remember from your posts, you always used straights; What did you start with?
Nope, DE since my teens. I’m one of the lucky few who had a father that actually taught me how to shave with a DE, brush & soap. Gillette SuperSpeed, Gillette Swedes, el cheapo drugstore brush & Palmolive stick.

I rolled with that for 20 years, with the occasional brush with a cartridge & using BIC yellows for travels.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
After getting accustomed to B&B a wild shopping spree broke out. But it ended fairly fast. I’d been using Palmolive soap or Tabac soap for so long & I found that very few could match their performance. The only other that actually gained a permanent place was Speick soap & Olivia’s crema. There are a couple of other that has given me decent results & those I add just to mix things up, among them are the Portuguese lanolin creams & some of the Italian soft soaps.

Where did you get your first straight razor? Was it shave ready?
I’m addicted to antique & vintage things & I attend a lot of antique shows, dig thru yard-sales & thrift-stores so I’ve actually picked up a couple of straight thru the years & they’ve been sitting in my drawers just waiting…

One day was “that day”, I sent one out, a vintage Solingen full hollow. It was one of these that sat around in my shop that I had “rescued” from some flea-market or such. After doing my first shave with it I never looked back. It all clicked. The bug bit me. And the madness begun…

Determination is key with shaving with a straight, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
The shaves weren’t that bad actually. I touched-up with my DE if necessary & just kept at it. And like my Precious pointed out in the above quote, when I get into things I tend to push them as far as I can. My determination borders on insanity, no doubt.

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:

W&B 9/8 “For Barbers Use” wedge. Good for hunting & self-defense. Doubles as a frying-pan. Also great fun to shave with!
C.V Heljestrand MK#32 6/8 full hollow. The best straight razor ever produced by man.
3rd would be “Swedish model frameback” by Söderén, Jernbolaget or Klas Törnblom.

2 brushes:
Simpsons Colonel.
Instead of a second brush I’d like to pack a small coticule for maintenance.

3 soaps:
Tabac, Palmolive & Speick

2 creams:
Olivia’s crema.
I’d do like Ian & take some ice-cream instead of a second cream

3 colognes:
I’ll just squeeze some fresh limes on myself if going on a date with a mermaid.
But, it might get a bit chilly after the sun is down & then it wouldn’t be so bad to splash a drop or two of Trumper’s Eucris on before snuggling up under a palm-tree with the before mentioned mermaid.

Aftershaves:
If I only can take one, I’d bring Sweden’s pride “Aqua Vera Rakvatten”. Same recipe since it was born in the 1920’s.
If I can add another one it would be hard to pick between Speick or Floïd Suave.

What is your strop preference and what is your stropping regime?
I almost exclusively use my Neil Miller 2.5” linen/buffalo.

I don’t count laps but I guess it’s about 20/50 before a shave.
A few on the linen after shaving
A freshly honed blade gets maybe 30/60.
If I don’t finish on pastes, then it a bit fewer on the linen.

What is your honing set up for ebay specials?
DMT 325 or 600 depending on just how bad the things are until the bevel looks good & even & passes TNT. Then onto Naniwa 1K for stiffer grinds or 2K Naniwa for hollows & proceed thru 5/8/10K. Or instead of the Naniwas I whip out a coticule & use dilutions. But the Naniwas has really grown on me lately.

Then it’s time for the grande finale, ze finish…

Favorite finish?
I love a good coticule edge, for the smoothness, I have a small La Grosse Blanche (handpicked by Bart!) that creates a wonderfully velvet virgin smooth edge. Lovely!

But I also really like a sharp edge, so my vintage Thüri probably gets the most use. Either following the 10K or after the coti. I’m still not sure if slurry to water or only water is best. I’ve also played around a whole lot with pastes & since discovering Hand American diamond sprays I’ve come to like diamond too. When done properly, the 0.25 micron screaming sharp edge is really something!

Recently the 0.125 CBN surfaced & it was a bit of a revelation. I’m in the process of trying out some of that in various setting & in combination with even finer diamond, well below the 0.1 micron mark! I’ve had some great help from very experienced knife-sharpeners, they have brought a lot of interesting ideas to my straight honing recently. I’ll post results & reviews a soon as I have some valid, conclusive results.

How often and what's your method for touching up your straights?
I seldom do that. I’m a sharpening & hone-junkie. I take every opportunity to hone or sharpen things, so it’s not likely that a razor will need a touch-up before it has been already honed again.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
I’m currently reading Inferno by August Strindberg. Next will probably be a re-read of some of Joseph Conrad books. Conrad is one of my absolute favorite writers, if you haven’t read anything by him, do yourself a favor & pick up a book by him!

Favorite Movie or two?
I very seldom watch movies & it’s even rarer that I like one. The same goes for TV. If I’m still supposed to be on that desert island, I’d let the mermaids choose.

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
I’d love to answer Cary Grant, JFK or some of our great Swedish Kings. But far to often I have moments when I find myself reminding a whole lot of Donald Duck.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
“We’d be fools not to ride this strange torpedo all the way out to the end”

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
“It’s only shaving”

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
It’s only shaving

View attachment 156367
View attachment 156368
View attachment 156369
View attachment 156370
View attachment 156371
attachment.php

attachment.php

Jens, great to get to know you! thanks for putting in the time to do this, it's a great read!!:thumbup:

Luc, of course, is the man for gearing it all together :thumbup1:

Great interview Jens! Love these things and will definitely agree with you on the MK 32's. I have 2 and one in the mail and don't want to part with any, but may have to as SRAD can be an issue.

Legion

Staff member
I always enjoy these chances to get to know you guys a little better. Thanks Jens and Luc. :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I keep seeing the Aqua Vera in your pictures Jens, how would you describe the scent?

Great to get to know you all a bit better guys :thumbup:

Another great interview.

Jens, if one wanted to read their first Joseph Conrad book, which would you suggest?
"Heart of Darkness" is really a good place to start, it became most famous for being the inspiration to "Apocalypze Now" but it's also one great book, very much representing Conrad's unique style & just around 100 pages.
I have a spare copy I'd be happy to send you, but it's in Swedish, so you just might have some troubles getting a good experience from it:biggrin1:
But at least over here Conrads books are rather easy to track down, I think the same goes for the rest of the world, he was & still is quite popular.
Actually all his books are very good (besides the very least ones he wrote, but they aren't very widely available) but a few more suggestions might be "Lord Jim" the descriptions of the scenery & the people in it is just brethtaking. And a very good story too.
Also "Nostromo" & "The Secret Agent" are well known novels & really excellent.
A somewhat shorter story, with the very distasteful title "The Nigger of the Narcissus" is a nerve-racking read, on what happens to a captain & his crew during a storm. A story that really gets under your skin.

I'll end now, before I have listed all of his titles :biggrin1:

Happy reading!

I keep seeing the Aqua Vera in your pictures Jens, how would you describe the scent?
I saw that it was in every pic, that is a coincidence,I do use a few other splashes...

Describing scents isn't one of my main talents, but I'd say it has a clear citrusy note, very old-school, somewhat reminding of the old colognes like 4711 & Florida-water, but it's not very distinct, it's also a bit musky & earty I'd say.
All in all, like you'd expect a old-school scent to be.
Most Swedes has some relation to it, I think it's the "Old Spice" of Sweden.
Everyone has memories of a dear old relative that used it.

It gives a hellfire burn, but still makes your face feel great in seconds.
It has some glycering added, so during the warmer months my dry skin really don't need any balm afterwards.
Scent dissapears fast leaving nothing but a smooth, comfortable face behind:biggrin1:

And it can be found in many places for about 40 SEK (just over $6 )

Postal laws forbids shipping high alcohol products, so I guess sending a sample to you is unfortunately not possible.

Top Bottom