What's new

Straight Razor Greying/Tarnishing?

Hello, I have recently purchased a straight razor that came shiny and very bright (see before pic) but it is already greying and tarnishing (after pics) not sure how visible it is, how can I reverse and prevent this from occurring

I live in the humid tropics so that may be part of it but any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_114541.jpg
    IMG_20220411_114541.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220420_095444_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220420_095444_HDR.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220420_095436_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220420_095436_HDR.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 24
I use mineral oil to coat mine after stropping. Just leave a little coating of oil and back in the coffin. Mineral oil is super cheap…I am using baby oil currently because it was on sale super cheap a few weeks ago.

A mild polish like Mother's and a soft cloth will shine it back up, but avoid the bevel because it can degrade the edge. Oil will prevent it, as stated. Some guys like to use Renaissance Wax.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Having lived on Mactan Island in the Philippines with my straight razors, I can advise you well.

What you have on your SR is called oxidation. In its light form it is refered to as tarnish. As it develops it is called rust. Yours is still tarnish.

To remove the tarnish, polish with something like Autosol or Mother's and a soft cloth. Both are a very fine abrasive paste. Autosol should be available at most auto shops. Be careful not to get any of the paste into the delicate edge of the SR. The bevel will be cleaned of tarnish in your normal stropping routine (no paste needed).

Once the tarnish is removed, you can prevent further tarnishing by smearing some mineral oil or petroleum jelly onto the steel before you put the razor away after each use. Use mineral oil if your SR is stored edge-down or petroleum jelly otherwise

Before stropping for the next shave, remove the oil/jelly by wiping with toilet paper. Again, don't touch the edge with the toilet paper. Any oil/jelly left on the bevel will be removed with your stropping.

If you want to admire your SR between shaves, and who wouldn't, use Renaissance wax and polish instead of applying oil/jelly. You also don't have to remove the wax before shaving again. Renaissance wax may seem expensive but a 65g can will last you 2k to 4k applications.

Top Bottom