What's new

Straight Razor Forum RORSCHACH BLOT Impression

Below is a card I created with about as much physical skill that I would use to hone a razor, there are slight flaws. I only ask that you look at the shapes and record your impressions. There are no instructions. Please feel free to express yourself in any way you seem fit to do so.

Alx

proxy.php

Last edited:
Not sure I understand. The first one appears to have a folded edge to the right, The center a foil and the last one looks like an axe. But that could all be pixel flaws.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Looks like three bevels,

1. Normal
2. I am note sure how you could even make a bevel look like this.
3. To much time on a pasted hanging strop.

If I had to guess, I'd say that you cut three triangles from papers bisected by a fold, twisted the tip of each, then unfolded them, to represent the reaction to plastic deformation of the metal at the tip of a razors edge, represented as a 2d slice, with the papers left to right representing a simple bevel, concave bevel and convex bevel?

Wouldn't a convex edge like #3 be the most durable since there's more meat behind the edge? I know this applies more to knife edges and probably wouldn't be as sharp as #1, but in theory it should hold up much longer than #1.

Second is too much honing pressure I would say.

Yes. Convex edges add more strength for the amount of cutting power lost vs simply increasing the bevel angle; they're not always desirable, though. It depends on the function of the tool.

Top Bottom