What's new

Straight Razor Edges - Newbie

Thank you again. I'm going to continue working with the 6K stone, but just ordered some lapping film to work with afterwards. I was going to hold off, but quite a few seem to swear by it. I'm not opposed to experimentation, but I often go overboard. Just looking at the lapping film lead me to looking at honing strops mounted to wood for using compounds / pastes. I also contemplated several other stones. I reeled myself in and said to myself one experiment at a time. I should know by this weekend if extra time on the 6K helps as well as how much the lapping film will aid me. I'm not giving up yet and going back to my DE. I do like the process of straight shaving better. I find it a little more relaxing, even with the higher potential to mess up.

Maybe it has to do with learning how to sharpen a straight razor off hones or stones from the get-go as stated. The OP mentioned a 1k > 6k progression, which is perfectly viable for beginners in my opinion as a means to learning how to sharpen and strop a straight razor. So I left off things from there, apart from a couple of pasted-strop recommendations to refine things later. In other words, it is not so much about obtaining the best possible shaving edge in starting out as it is about learning how to obtain the best possible edge from what is given, the goal hopefully resulting in actual, formative, first-hand experience.

How could the goal be something other than the best possible shaving edge? After all, that’s the goal of going is it not?

And what is your opinion based? Shaving your face? Working as a professional?

Would you recommend new double or single edge razor user members start off with used blades given to them by the more experienced members?

Do you shave off 6000 grit yourself? If so, what’s the quality of your beard and do you have any facial hair?

Well, you CAN shave with an edge straight after bevel set. Should you? If you want to experiment, who is anyone to stop you.
Just saying, you probably wouldn't enjoy the shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Maybe it has to do with learning how to sharpen a straight razor off hones or stones from the get-go as stated. The OP mentioned a 1k > 6k progression, which is perfectly viable for beginners in my opinion as a means to learning how to sharpen and strop a straight razor. So I left off things from there, apart from a couple of pasted-strop recommendations to refine things later. In other words, it is not so much about obtaining the best possible shaving edge in starting out as it is about learning how to obtain the best possible edge from what is given, the goal hopefully resulting in actual, formative, first-hand experience.
You can’t refine a 6k with pasted balsa. Way too big of a jump. If someone can hone on a 6k they can hone on an12k. Shaving off a 6k would discourage anyone from shaving with a straight. 12k is bad enough.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thank you again. I'm going to continue working with the 6K stone, but just ordered some lapping film to work with afterwards. I was going to hold off, but quite a few seem to swear by it. I'm not opposed to experimentation, but I often go overboard. Just looking at the lapping film lead me to looking at honing strops mounted to wood for using compounds / pastes. I also contemplated several other stones. I reeled myself in and said to myself one experiment at a time. I should know by this weekend if extra time on the 6K helps as well as how much the lapping film will aid me. I'm not giving up yet and going back to my DE. I do like the process of straight shaving better. I find it a little more relaxing, even with the higher potential to mess up.
You are doing the right thing ordering film. More honing on a 6k won’t make any difference except removing steel. 6k won’t shave.

+1 Also the diamond pasted balsa puts a killer edge on the razor. Give it a go and you’ll never settle for less!
I am holding of, because I am afraid of never settling for less:D. I am trying to get the most out of my stones and shaving technique first. Also, in the interest of domestic peace, I have to try to show some restraint:D.

I am holding of, because I am afraid of never settling for less:D. I am trying to get the most out of my stones and shaving technique first. Also, in the interest of domestic peace, I have to try to show some restraint:D.
Balsa is $5 and paste $12 on Amazon. That's what makes films/diamond so great, more for less.

I know that, but she might see it another way hahaha. Don't worry, I wil get to it when I feel I can make no more progress on my stones and shaving technique I will go for it!

How could the goal be something other than the best possible shaving edge? After all, that’s the goal of going is it not?

And what is your opinion based? Shaving your face? Working as a professional?

Would you recommend new double or single edge razor user members start off with used blades given to them by the more experienced members?

Do you shave off 6000 grit yourself? If so, what’s the quality of your beard and do you have any facial hair?

I will swing at this....

To save money.
To use what I already have, being satisfied with what I have, being humble (not acquiring everything I want). Learning what can be done with my existing tools.

A couple of generalizations:
In life, I find skill can make up for not having the best tools. And I find in many cases, the best tools do not make up for lack of skill.

I wait anxiously for responses.
Respectfully yours. Jody.

I will swing at this....

To save money.
To use what I already have, being satisfied with what I have, being humble (not acquiring everything I want). Learning what can be done with my existing tools.

A couple of generalizations:
In life, I find skill can make up for not having the best tools. And I find in many cases, the best tools do not make up for lack of skill.

I wait anxiously for responses.
Respectfully yours. Jody.

Excellent and thought provoking reply. :a50:

As with all things, context is essential. Would you want a surgeon to save money by using dull blades or inadequate tools? No, we expect the best where our flesh and blood is concerned. We can be humble and save money on something else.

A packet of films is $27, a floor tile to place them on is $4. A balsa board costs $5 and the diamond paste costs $12. That’s $48, right? Can you buy a whet stone for $48 that can produce the same results as those mediums? What the OP could opt for is a packet of films to compliment the stones he has. Diamond makes the blade comfortable and efficient.

What I appreciate most about inadequate and poor quality tools is the enjoyment I get when I finally obtained the best. The right tool for the job is what old men said when I was growing up.

I’ve noticed in my 60 mile plus years that a quality tool is only expensive when it’s purchased. Not having to replaced it ultimately makes it cost less.

Context is important . This is just shaving, I skimp on shaving tools.

I am on a quest at this time to max out one vintage razor on one vintage barber's hone. This may take a long time.

Context is important . This is just shaving, I skimp on shaving tools.

I am on a quest at this time to max out one vintage razor on one vintage barber's hone. This may take a long time.

I agree to some degree. I’ve gotten some excellent quality razors for $7-15 that sharpen up and provide an effective and comfortable result.

Alot of responses and not sure where to begin. To start, I will mention the shave I am getting with my 6K stone. It does not hurt, but is not nearly as smooth as it could be. I am getting a clean shave, but not nearly as close the skin that I get with my DE or shavette. I do not see stubble, but I can feel it when I check with my hand. It is almost like the blade on a DE getting dull. You can shave, but you feel the difference when compared to a new blade. A little grainy and rough. Only a step or two away from razor burn.

I do believe in the right tool for the job, but you can learn a lot with budget tools or making do with what you have. I often work with less to learn what I truly need before going extreme. I still use a standard combination box end wrench when gear wrenches are available. Why? I like the simplicity and I can feel if the nut is binding up. Taking my time and moving a step slower allows me to analyze and catch mistakes before they happen. I have seen many guys using ratchet wrenches gall a nut and have to cut it off.

I have been looking up stones and could easily toss down anywhere between 50 to 200 dollars based on stones I have considered. The lapping film I bought cost $24 and will hopefully give me some more insight into stones I may want to get. I like stones, but experimenting with them could get costly.

My life lessons - Everything I do in life can aid me in another aspect of life. Playing with the razor and buying new hones can give me different insights into sharpening that may aid me in the future. Sharpening knives, I never looked to raise a bevel. I often use a permanent marker on the edge though. Raising a bevel is a new technique that is interesting. I never took my kitchen knives to extremes. This may open another door.

I wanted to give an update. I bought a 9 sheet variety pack of film ranging from 60 down to 0.3. I did not go through the whole process of raising a bevel since I did that on the 1K / 6K stone. The first 4 sheets I did 10 half laps per side followed by 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then 15-20 x-strokes edge leading. The last 5 sheets I did in the ball park of 25-30 x-strokes per side edge leading. I used my DMT as the flat surface for the lapping film. I know that I could have done more, but I wanted to try to shave with it tonight to test how much difference there may have been.

Good news. The blade could use a little more refinement, but performed significantly better. My shave is very similar if not as good as my DE. I had to use a little force to get through parts of my stubble compared to the shavette, but it really was not a lot. Part of the problem may be technique as well since it has been a short amount of time since starting with a straight razor. I am still less than a month into this.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will probably still get a stone eventually, but the lapping was a very cheap experiment that proved fruitful.

I do have a question. I was looking at a black arkansas hard stone for touch ups when traveling. See the link. Any opinions good or bad on this. Thinking it will fit in a toiletry bag when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Dans-Whetsto...ck+arkansas+stone&qid=1562808142&s=hi&sr=1-21

Why cant you travel with the film? If the razor is sharp with a good bevel you only need to strop. If your travel is extensive a pasted strop will also do to maintain the edge.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Why cant you travel with the film? If the razor is sharp with a good bevel you only need to strop. If your travel is extensive a pasted strop will also do to maintain the edge.
When I travel, I take a .1u diamond pasted balsa strop and a leather strop. Doesn’t take up much room and keeps my razor perfectly sharp. Toss in a shavette in case of some emergency.

I did order a strop tonight, one with canvas and leather. I do not currently have a good strop, only an older one that is a bit rough even though it has sentimental value. If all goes well, I am going to get a balsa strop for traveling. There are several on Amazon. I thought the balsa strop was bigger, but there are ones that are 8x1.75 which would fit in my toiletry bag.
The film worked really well. The problem is not the film, but me. There are certain tools that I pick up and I feel like they fit my hand. I have used rods and stones including smaller handheld ones for quite some time. The smaller ones I take hunting, backpacking, etc. The larger ones I use when I am at home. My razor to me still falls into the category of knife. I am starting to break that mind set with all of the bevel setting and honing I have been doing lately. Give me time and my mindset will probably shift on what I need as time moves forward.
Side note: I used to calm myself with the methodical scraping of a knife on a stone. The rhythm and sound put me at ease. I still sharpen knives even when they do not need it for relaxation. The balsa strop would allow me to sit back in a chair when in a hotel room and strop my razor while watching a program. No water. No mess.

Everybody has been very helpful. I do appreciate it.

Top Bottom