What's new

Straight Razor Designs Opus X

I got a sampler pack from SRD not too long ago, originally to try their tobacco shave soap but I decided to try their other scents as well after I read what scents were available (frankincense, ylang ylang, patchouli, etc). I like the idea of having some single note scents.

Per Whiskey Badger, I on/off microwaved the sample in a glass bowl to press it and increase the surface area.

I originally had trouble lathering it but I'm used to softer soaps like PC, Stirling, B&M. And I'm not used to glycerin soaps, although I'm not sure if all glycerin soaps are really hard. I figured out that I basically wasn't loading enough soap. I guess harder soaps generally load more slowly?

After letting warm water sit on the pressed sample for a couple minutes AND loading a lot longer on a squeezed brush, I produced the picture below. The lather is different that lather from tallow soaps in that it's less cushiony but it's not dry or airy either. It's hard to describe.

Most importantly, how does it shave? I found it to be slick and moisturizing. Loading for 1 minute produced enough lather to shave a family. No irritation, nicks, or razor bumps even with an open comb Old Type safety razor. A Nacet blade and a Semogue 1305 was used.

My only complaint would be that I would like the tobacco scent to be stronger. You can smell it while lathering, but it's fairly mild. I suppose that's a compromise for being able to smell it but it's unlikely to irritate the skin of people who are sensitive to essential oils.

Cost per ounce: $1.94

$SRD Opus 3.jpg

I like SRD. They are my second favorite soap, after Harris. I have tried all the samples and have tubs of Opus X, West Indies Bay, Sweet Patchouli and Sandalwood. As far as the samples I didn't like microwaving them. I left them in their plastic bag, flattened them with a hammer or mallet, then removed them from the bag and pressed them into a bowl. The 2 samples that I did microwave seemed to have very little scent. I don't know if it was the microwaving or just the sample. The samples also lather better flattened with a hammer because it leaves an uneven surface.

I like SRD. They are my second favorite soap, after Harris. I have tried all the samples and have tubs of Opus X, West Indies Bay, Sweet Patchouli and Sandalwood. As far as the samples I didn't like microwaving them. I left them in their plastic bag, flattened them with a hammer or mallet, then removed them from the bag and pressed them into a bowl. The 2 samples that I did microwave seemed to have very little scent. I don't know if it was the microwaving or just the sample. The samples also lather better flattened with a hammer because it leaves an uneven surface.

That's a good sign. I thought the lather was a bit mild in scent, but if you noticed a possible difference between microwaved and unheated then I'll give that a try for the next sample.

I thought the lather was a bit mild in scent, but if you noticed a possible difference between microwaved and unheated then I'll give that a try for the next sample.

None of the scents are very strong, lasting through the lathering and one or two passes which is how I like it. In addition to Opus X, Bay, Patchouli and Sandalwood, I liked their samples of lime, ylang ylang and unscented.

I believe they use essential oils only to scent their soaps. Heats destroys the essential oils which is probably why the scent I so faint after microwaving it.

Top Bottom