What's new

Straight razor blade not centered

Hello, has anyone ever gotten a straight razor and the pivot pin appear to be misaligned in the scales? I just bought a new wacker and the blade is so far off center that if I don’t push it to center when closing the toe actually hots and stops on the horn scale.

Does anyone know how to fix?

Thanks

Yeah shaved with it right out the box and then touched up the hone with a few swipes on a naniwa 12k. Pretty sure that eliminates the possibility of return. Certainly disappointed, the razor is beautiful otherwise. I will just live with it.

Was mostly curious if there was any trick to fix like peening to tighten a pivot.

Thank you for the replies and advice

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would definitely contact the seller/manufacturer about the quality of the product that you received. Sounds like it needs to be replaced.

I would contact Wacker as there customer support is fantastic, as if its new and all you have done is a touch up on the hone that should not be a problem.
there is a fix but you could end up cracking the scales, more so if it is tight and you have never done it before....

Thank you for all the advice. I have sent a message to Wacker, it was the last one the store I purchased from had in stock so hopefully wacker can help me as I do like the razor model.

Thank you for all the advice. I have sent a message to Wacker, it was the last one the store I purchased from had in stock so hopefully wacker can help me as I do like the razor model.

They should get back to you soon, but please do keep us informed on how you get on....

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What they said. Contact Wacker first.

There is indeed a fix, involving a very slight thinning of the inner surface of both scales to steer the razor straight between the gutters. It takes a few trial fittings to get it just right, so you will want some microfastener size 0-60 bolts and nuts, and washers, as well as nickel-silver rod and washers for final pinning. Best to try this with an unimportant razor or two, first, one with similar scales and degree of misalignment.

The other option is fraught with peril, and involves actually bending the shank slightly in a vise between three pins. Only recommended IMHO for rescues that you aren't all that concerned with.

Some guys add washers between scales and razor. I don't think much of that method as it doesn't really fix the real problem, and it defeats the purpose of custom fitting scales, which is to offer resistance to opening and closing, but makes it easy to keep the razor in the open for shaving position, and the closed position. And if the misalignment is substantial, it takes a number of washers. Sometimes there just isn't enough washers.

You can also use a thicker wedge, another practice I am not in favor of as the razor in extreme cases can then slip through the scales, leaving the edge unprotected. You can see, I imagine, how tailoring the angle between the wedge surfaces and its center plane can influence the bow of the scales to your advantage.

Some guys force the razor the other way past centerline and pound the pin into submission. Meh. Don't like that way, either. The best way IMHO is filing or sanding the scales, or rescaling.

It can be possible to fill the holes. line up the razor and scales and redrill, but you must be certain that the drill bit will pass precisely through the pivot hole of the razor. I have never tried that.

Finally you can, with some scales, use heat to soften the scales and force them to set into a configuration that allows the blade to center. Done that. Messed up a pair of scales or two. No perfect outcome so far.

It can help to first figure out exactly why the razor does not center.

What they said. Contact Wacker first.

There is indeed a fix, involving a very slight thinning of the inner surface of both scales to steer the razor straight between the gutters. It takes a few trial fittings to get it just right, so you will want some microfastener size 0-60 bolts and nuts, and washers, as well as nickel-silver rod and washers for final pinning. Best to try this with an unimportant razor or two, first, one with similar scales and degree of misalignment.

The other option is fraught with peril, and involves actually bending the shank slightly in a vise between three pins. Only recommended IMHO for rescues that you aren't all that concerned with.

Some guys add washers between scales and razor. I don't think much of that method as it doesn't really fix the real problem, and it defeats the purpose of custom fitting scales, which is to offer resistance to opening and closing, but makes it easy to keep the razor in the open for shaving position, and the closed position. And if the misalignment is substantial, it takes a number of washers. Sometimes there just isn't enough washers.

You can also use a thicker wedge, another practice I am not in favor of as the razor in extreme cases can then slip through the scales, leaving the edge unprotected. You can see, I imagine, how tailoring the angle between the wedge surfaces and its center plane can influence the bow of the scales to your advantage.

Some guys force the razor the other way past centerline and pound the pin into submission. Meh. Don't like that way, either. The best way IMHO is filing or sanding the scales, or rescaling.

It can be possible to fill the holes. line up the razor and scales and redrill, but you must be certain that the drill bit will pass precisely through the pivot hole of the razor. I have never tried that.

Finally you can, with some scales, use heat to soften the scales and force them to set into a configuration that allows the blade to center. Done that. Messed up a pair of scales or two. No perfect outcome so far.

It can help to first figure out exactly why the razor does not center.
That is a great, detailed, explanation of potential fixes and potential problems that can occur with each method.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow thank you everyone, especially for the detailed repair instructions. I will see what wacker says and if no luck there will send it out for professional repair. Thank you for the recommendation lightcs1776.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Horn. Often when it is sawn into thin planks, it will sometimes assume all sorts of wild curves. Heat (dry heat or boiling) and/or pressure can flatten it again but the tendency to warp is still there. Sometimes after the razor is pinned between the scales, a scale will gradually warp, for no apparent reason. Look at your scales from the top edge and see if their bow is symmetrical. The wedge should cause the scales to spread outward, away from each other, and pinning at the pivot point brings the tips back together, making a bow in each scale. If one is straight and the other is bowed, you will likely have a razor that does not center.

Also closely examine the razor and see if the shank and tang and spine look straight and true. Sometimes a shank will warp from the stamping though I would not normally expect to see that in a somewhat high end razor like a Wacker.

Thank you, it is definitely a scale issue.

Does anyone have an email for Wacker, I must have contacted a store that just calls themselves wacker as no response. I found the .de german site but without knowing German it does me little good.

On a side note, although rare it seems this is a recurring issue with wacker razors using horn scales. Amazing blades, poor handle assembly and quality control.

Razor shaves like a dream, but I can’t say I would ever spend my money on another.

As mentioned, I would contact Wacker first. If they do not remedy, I would send it to Alfredo (Doc226).

Here is a little work he did on my Wacker Old Sheffield.

Top Bottom