What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This was a rescue from my working vacation in New England. A seven day set, ALMOST. Sunday will be a day of rest due to Sunday's razor is missing. A set from Friedmann & Lauterjung "Electric" straights. They are in as found condition, no cracks, splits or rust with modest grim. I passed on them several times due to the missing razor but the seller made me a deal I could not say no to.

IMG_0902.JPG
IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

Last edited:
This was a rescue from my working vacation in New England. A seven day set, ALMOST. Sunday will be a day of rest due to Sunday's razor is missing. A set from Friedmann & Lauterjung "Electric" straights. They are in as found condition, no cracks, splits or rust with modest grim. I passed on them several times due to the missing razor but the seller made me a deal I could not say no to.

View attachment 805511 View attachment 805512 View attachment 805513 View attachment 805514 View attachment 805515
Oh nice set! Congrats on a good score!!

Yesterday, a gift arrived. It is now a work in progress; it will never I fear, be beautiful, but the ivory scales suggest that it is a good-quality product. Also I find the name "The Railway Razor" entirely irresistible! I am especially keen about Dreadnoughts, and would love to know what "Triple Converted" means!

Railway 1.jpg
Railway 2.jpg

View attachment 805511 View attachment 805512 View attachment 805513 View attachment 805514 View attachment 805515

Great find!

Nice looking razor Cambouis, at a guess the triple converted refers to the steel making.

Thanks! I am afraid it will never be beautiful - too much pitting, but as you say it is a nice shape - pretty much my favourite. There will be some more work of course and then I hope it will give me a nice shave. It's the re-pinning I am dreading; every time I do this it comes out terribly - that is if I do not destroy the scales in the process!

As for the Triple Converted, yes you may well be correct. I can confirm that it is very hard indeed - at least by means of measuring using abrasive papers!!

C.

G&F Timor blue steel '150' - my first straight, acquired sight-unseen arrived today. Apologies for the hasty photos - it's gonna need some work, small patch of rust up near the tip, a lot of surface scratches, but the edge itself is actually better than it looks here..the scales have a bit of adhered rust/grime inside so they're either to be cleaned or replaced, but I'm happy for £20..

DSC_7088.JPG DSC_7090.JPG DSC_7094.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_6184.JPG

For $69.95 delivered I cannot see how the vendor still has any of these in stock. A perfect half-hollow for novice and knowledgeable shavers alike. This to me makes much more sense than picking up a used $25-$50 beat up razor for the purpose of wading into the world of straight razors. Safe bet that should a straight be something one would want to stick with, a razor like this would sell on BST or similar venue a lot quicker than a $25 special

Top Bottom