What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Well, the Magnum Bonum came back from Alfredo…and I must say…it’s breathtaking! The translucent honey horn scales are absolutely incredible!

Thanks again Doc! You are a gentleman, and an appreciated craftsman!

Vr

Matt

673BE009-77FC-41DB-9636-6E0E32BCF21B.jpeg
6BB45052-622A-4CF8-A060-F0DF964D29F9.jpeg

Nice Magnum Bonum, @Matt O! Did Alfredo make the scales? I ask because my Magnum Bonum has similar scales but both ends are rounded, and I have a hunch that the original scales on mine were replaced with scales from another old razor.

Just be careful you don't hurt your wrists from all the weight :).

Nice Magnum Bonum, @Matt O! Did Alfredo make the scales? I ask because my Magnum Bonum has similar scales but both ends are rounded, and I have a hunch that the original scales on mine were replaced with scales from another old razor.

Just be careful you don't hurt your wrists from all the weight :).

Thanks! I dont know how he came about getting the scales. I was so surprised and excited when he showed them to me, I didn’t think to ask!

I will wear a wrist brace!

Vr

Matt

Who's to blame? @Darth Scandalous or the internet?

He directed me to a reliable Russian/Soviet razor vendor.

The internet provided me with information/translation of Cyrillic, Soviet manufacturing standards IDs, great Soviet space program photos, and a bottomless rathole in the form of The Calvert Journal.

Ya gotta love that Russian razors are often tang stamped with the year of manufacture. '53 is an important year to me, even if it is to dang far back.

The "Trud" razor ("Labor"), brought to me from Vacha, RSFSR by way of Kharkiv, Ukraine, made by the Glavstanko Instrument engineering enterprise plant. The plant may be "Trud", and the razor may be "ZTV".

6C34AAFA-E401-46E4-94A7-DC62EEF3AD4B.jpeg

Hard to read, even if it wasn't Cryillic...
C0049E5A-8BAF-458F-823A-7DB782F05E96.jpeg

For your future reference:
ММП = mmp, engineering enterprise
ЗАВОД = plant, factory
ТРУД = labor, work "TRUD"
ВАЧА РСФСР = Vacha, RSFSR
ГЛАВСТАНКО = glavstanko ИНСТРУМЕНТ = tool, instrument

This one will take some honing, tiny chips in the edge. And still another razor to research in the in box. Number two is newer, with a more promising edge for restoration.

Welcome to the dark side!

ZTV stands for Zavod Trud Vacha. The other major Soviet razor maker was STIZ, which is Stalnyh Izdeliy Zavod, basically "Steel Goods Factory."

The one I have from Trud Vacha, the "Extra" model, took a bit of honing to get to clean steel but it is a very nice shaver, even though the workmanship is not very refined.

I already have one of these. But this one was available as unused for several days as a "Buy It Now". The price was quite low, so I made a much lower offer and to my surprise it was accepted. This is a vendor photo with the razor coming in next week.

View attachment 1326066
Why do you think it was priced low?….. condition? The scales look immaculate. Usually a filly will command higher prices just because of what they are.

Top Bottom