What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I've come down with a case of Fili Fever. Pics are out of the box, so to speak. I'll clean it a bit. Amazing shave today. It doesn't show up in the pics but the scales have a metal flake appearance.
Fili-A.jpg
Fili-B.jpg
Fili-C.jpg
Fili-E.jpg

I've come down with a case of Fili Fever. Pics are out of the box, so to speak. I'll clean it a bit. Amazing shave today. It doesn't show up in the pics but the scales have a metal flake appearance.View attachment 1302986View attachment 1302987View attachment 1302988View attachment 1302989
This has got to be one of the sharpest if not the sharpest of my lot. But, as is my practice, I have a shave as received then touch it up on the diamond balsa. I went straight to the 0.1u for this one. When I checked it with the loupe I found this tiny nick in the blade. Very hard to spot with the naked eye but now that I found it I can see it with the right illumination. I shaved with it again today and couldn't say it had any effect. What say all, re hone it now or wait?
Fili Nick 1_LI.jpg
Fili Nick 2_LI.jpg

BTW I needed the macro setting on my camera to catch it. All the other photos didn't have high enough resolution.

Last edited:
This has got to be one of the sharpest if not the sharpest of my lot. But, as is my practice, I have a shave as received then touch it up on the diamond balsa. I went straight to the 0.1u for this one. When I checked it with the loupe I found this tiny nick in the blade. Very hard to spot with the naked eye but now that I found it I can see it with the right illumination. I shaved with it again today and couldn't say it had any effect. What say all, re hone it now or wait?View attachment 1303466View attachment 1303467

BTW I needed the macro setting on my camera to catch it. All the other photos didn't have high enough resolution.

Is it scoring your strop? I have an older blade with some pitting out near the toe that contributes to occasional micro nicks. Typically isn't noticeable on my face but sometimes will leave a tiny scratch on my strop. That's usually when I take it back to the hone. Then again, it's not really in the main shaving real estate, where yours is.

Is it scoring your strop? I have an older blade with some pitting out near the toe that contributes to occasional micro nicks. Typically isn't noticeable on my face but sometimes will leave a tiny scratch on my strop. That's usually when I take it back to the hone. Then again, it's not really in the main shaving real estate, where yours is.
I didn't find any scoring. I'll have to try it again.

These two came from the 'bay. The Japanese Parker had both a smile and a frown. The good doctor Alfredo has remedied that with a perfect bevel and HHT 4/5. I don't know much about the Dairi kamisori other than it was made around 1960. I've removed the rust but it could use a bit more time on the stone. And it could also use a black oxide finish on the tang. Some of the newer kamisoris are coming in with a flat black paint finish and I may try that.

Parker Dairi.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Both a new stone and a new razor arrived today. We’ve all heard of eBay horror stories, but sometimes you win. I’ve always wanted a nice Johnathan Crookes, but never ran across one, at least before someone else did. There was one on eBay with collared pins and apparent corrosion, along with a small heel chip. I used the heel chip to bargain with the seller, and got it at a price that was still pretty high for a bone scaled, rusty razor.

Except that what it looked like isn’t what it is. Vendors image first. The ‘bone’ scales are wafer thin ivory with a lead wedge despite the collar pins, and 99+% of the the corrosion was some kind of ‘substance that cleaned off. I fixed the heel chip and have a very nice razor. It could still stand a trip to see @Doc226 - and have a proper cleaning and pin job.

D4936F58-6ECD-428E-9295-9DFD3D4F208D.jpeg
B20466FD-34C2-4C30-B9A3-69D61C0B6776.jpeg
B4341EED-5083-4E81-A886-90DA80B55EBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Both a new stone and a new razor arrived today. We’ve all heard of eBay horror stories, but sometimes you win. I’ve always wanted a nice Johnathan Crookes, but never ran across one, at least before someone else did. There was one on eBay with collared pins and apparent corrosion, along with a small heel chip. I used the heel chip to bargain with the seller, and got it at a price that was still pretty high for a bone scaled, rusty razor.

Except that what it looked like isn’t what it is. Vendors image first. The ‘bone’ scales are wafer thin ivory with a lead wedge despite the collar pins, and 99+% of the the corrosion was some kind of ‘substance that cleaned off. I fixed the heel chip and have a very nice razor. It could still stand a trip to see @Doc226 - and have a proper cleaning and pin job.

View attachment 1303843View attachment 1303844View attachment 1303846
That is a cool makers mark and a fantastic looking score!

A couple more rescues. The Hammond is really only for sentimental value; it's a family name on my mom's side.
20210731_194055.jpg

20210731_194124.jpg

This next one, Antoni Tadross, I just thought was cool. The etch is Prince (later to be King) George. I get a kick out of putting a bearded guy on a razor. And I have no idea what the scales are. The photo doesn't do them justice. They're gorgeous. The layered effect makes me think some kind of micarta or stabilized wood. Any ideas? A lot of hone wear but it's even, so I think I can get it shaving. After cleaning the green off the bolsters I see that somebody beat the crap out of one trying to tighten the pivot. But they did get it tight.
A before and after pic:

20210731_183438.jpg

20210731_193958.jpg

20210731_183422.jpg

Attachments

• 20210731_193802.jpg
    20210731_193802.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210731_194019.jpg
    20210731_194019.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 7
I have been lusting after the Wade and Butcher Magnum Bonum razor since I saw one years ago. However, it never worked out…other things to spend money on, poor condition, outbid, etc.

I snagged one this evening! I am extremely excited!

Seller’s Photos:

95806ECD-63D9-4692-AF24-7B60202553C2.jpeg
80634B15-84B3-4913-8E89-26637C3EA0C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom