What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I picked up a few heljes in a lot. Now I have the wall of Ivory!! or a black and white themed :c2:
Will admit though one of the razors has some cracks and can't be saved, but I do have some razors it can go on.
JnLTPV1 - Imgur.jpg
1LylQs3 - Imgur.jpg

The last 2 are 32s (both good condition, with one being rarely used and the other used a good bit). The rest are 31s/ black scales being mk 4s. I already had a decent amount of these but the 3 31s in ivory and the worn 32 in ivory are new. Thought it made a nice family shot though

Thanks!

The funny thing was I took some steel wool to the scales to just try to figure out what was going on with them, and after about 5 to 10 minutes the dried out crud covering them disappeared revealing solid Buffalo horn. I then added a little mineral oil to the mix, and the scales just came to life. I couldn't believe it! I plan to next rub a few drops of neatsfoot oil into the scales as per @Rudy Vey's advice.

The razor looked so good, I never bothered to remove the scales, I just cleaned everything up in place. I would love to know if the pins are original.

Thanks!

The funny thing was I took some steel wool to the scales to just try to figure out what was going on with them, and after about 5 to 10 minutes the dried out crud covering them disappeared revealing solid Buffalo horn. I then added a little mineral oil to the mix, and the scales just came to life. I couldn't believe it! I plan to next rub a few drops of neatsfoot oil into the scales as per @Rudy Vey's advice.

The razor looked so good, I never bothered to remove the scales, I just cleaned everything up in place. I would love to know if the pins are original.
Let us know how the razor hones up. There was a bunch of spine wear at the toe. Maybe tape before honing?

Thanks!

nice score and impressive clean up. in the shape that one was in, I would guess original pins.

camo

Let us know how the razor hones up. There was a bunch of spine wear at the toe. Maybe tape before honing?

Yeah, there was noticeable wear on the spine at the toe - more so on the front face than the back. I was able to reshape the spine enough that the wear is now less noticeable, and I honed the razor with one layer of Super 88. Based on a quick test on my cheek the blade feels very smooth. Will know more this evening. Too bad whoever caused the spine wear did not use tape.

You know what it's like when you get the urge to own a Ruthenium coated razor, that itch just has to be scratched.
Not only Ruthenium coated but 24 Carat Gold plated first.
What benefit this brings I have no idea, I did Google Ruthenium but came away no wiser.
However, I can now say when asked, "yes I prefer a Ruthenium coating personally" :)
Bog oak scales.

IMG_20210326_095452.jpg

Top Bottom