What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Last month, I got my best straight razor!
proxy.php

The J.R. Torrey Co., Little Gem
This one came in today - another very inexpensive acquisition. It came in rusted, but the scales and blade are in perfect condition. The spine wear is minimal (you need a loupe to see it) and the bevel is very even. I like the barber's notch. The edge is sharp but not shave ready. This is a small 2-inch blade. I had been looking for some Japanese tombos or other short blades for trimming my beard and detail work. So this razor is perfect for me. The rust cleaned up nicely. There is some patina and pitting, but that just adds character.

gem.jpg

First trip to Sheffield - a Joseph Allen & Sons NON XLL 5/8 inch half hollow (I think) that I bought from a member who sells shave-ready razors on eBay. Good condition with very little wear. On the lower end of the price scale. Seems like a good introduction to Sheffield.

I shaved with the razor "as is" this afternoon. Has a nice, smooth feel. I am guessing the result of the steel and the grind. Very happy!

My next trip is already booked - Japan in the next week or so :).

20210214_175623889_iOS.jpg

yes and no.

requires a couple different things and some elbow grease. fine grit progression, polishing wheel, and metal polish.

going to start of with mothers polish just to see what effect it has straight out.

camo
So then it os not a simple silkscreen that will come off with a solvent. Sounds like an etch and a bunch of work to refinish it. I'm thinking that means you will lose the original finish and grind lines.

So then it os not a simple silkscreen that will come off with a solvent. Sounds like an etch and a bunch of work to refinish it. I'm thinking that means you will lose the original finish and grind lines.

not a whole of grind line loss. and yes solvents alone will not get it.

either way I like the bargain basement prices I get these at......and more importantly using them.

today's shave was one of them.

20210218_060007.jpg

camo

Bargain basement? I had a look on amazon and ebay. I did not consider it bargain basement lol. I must be missing something. A secret reject sale or something?

Bargain basement? I had a look on amazon and ebay. I did not consider it bargain basement lol. I must be missing something. A secret reject sale or something?

nah,

I haggled a Bay seller with a price I would have been insulted by.........and they accepted. if I can pick up one of these (especially with horn scales) in the ballpark of $50 to 100 then I'm happy.

$320 because it has the logo plastered on it.

camo

Top Bottom