What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

This showed up today.
Wacker 6/8 Allround
3ED41E82-A05E-48A1-8FF9-CB2D70A2847F.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A ca 1780s Warburton Lisbon getting new tortoise ‘shoes’ (Thanks Scott!) and a Rodgers Refined Steel from around 1805-1815 both getting some TLC at chez Alfredo. Both have amazing steel in them for 200+ year old razors.

FedEx brought me some good steel today too, a Gen 1 Filly 14 Rejoneo to keep my Gen 1 Muleta company, a pair of dancing ladies.

87E28592-1356-42FB-8F56-A74AA4487364.jpeg
704BCA63-4481-45F9-89CE-EDD3D1721F08.jpeg
4738ED02-2D44-45A3-9AB4-6809D4D61D31.jpeg
BB996FB9-0A1F-4345-A309-5F727460F4E3.jpeg

SR shave #60: Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish point.

I am still working on my technique and today I feel I made an improvement. I switched to dominant hand only, reduced the passes to 2, yet the result remained unchanged for the most part. I need to work on the angle on some spots, but other than that it was very good and enjoyable.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

P2060402-2.jpg

This is an interesting one, it is undoubtedly a CVH MK of some sort. Maybe a 31 or 32. I think its closer to a 31. It says 70"Swan"70 I wonder the significance. It doesn't have much of an etching, but I can bring it out with a few techniques I know.
View attachment 1218623
View attachment 1218624
View attachment 1218625
View attachment 1218626
I saw it for sale, was tempted to bid, but God knows that I have too many (Heljestrand) razors already. It is a "special edition" and seems to be unused why the relatively low final price surprised me. If it's 5/8 (No31) you've done a bargain. If it's 6/8 (No32) you've been extremely lucky given the price. In any case you've got good value for your money and a very fine razor too. Congratulations Matt!

However there are few finds that can beat your Gillette double ring when it comes to being rare.

SR shave #60: Ralf Aust 6/8 Spanish point.

I am still working on my technique and today I feel I made an improvement. I switched to dominant hand only, reduced the passes to 2, yet the result remained unchanged for the most part. I need to work on the angle on some spots, but other than that it was very good and enjoyable.

Happy shaves everyone! :)

A very fine razor and the horn scales are great looking too.

A ca 1780s Warburton Lisbon getting new tortoise ‘shoes’ (Thanks Scott!) and a Rodgers Refined Steel from around 1805-1815 both getting some TLC at chez Alfredo. Both have amazing steel in them for 200+ year old razors.

FedEx brought me some good steel today too, a Gen 1 Filly 14 Rejoneo to keep my Gen 1 Muleta company, a pair of dancing ladies.

View attachment 1218604View attachment 1218605View attachment 1218606View attachment 1218607
Is this what Americans refer to as a "shopping spree"? In any case all of them would be great additions to any straight razor collection.

I just got this one back today. It was received in rusted condition with non-original scales that were in poor shape. Based on the stamp on back of the tang, I believe this is a first generation #13 Filarmonica. It looks like someone had removed rust from the blade with a very coarse grit sandpaper, so not all of the scratches came out. But with new scales and a well honed edge, I'm looking fprward to some nice shaves.

fili.jpg

fili 2.jpg

tang.jpg

@Basil, After reading your post I tried the HHT. With course hair, the Ribbon cut every time (not with my wife's fine hair). The bevel is shallow and nice and even. There is a touch of spine wear, only visible with a loupe. So I guess it's Strop-N- Go.

@Basil, After reading your post I tried the HHT. With course hair, the Ribbon cut every time (not with my wife's fine hair). The bevel is shallow and nice and even. There is a touch of spine wear, only visible with a loupe. So I guess it's Strop-N- Go.
Hopefully it ends up being a good shave! The edge reminded me of a coti, good enough to do the job with a nice smooth result.

I picked up this Erik Anton Berg on Etsy. It came in from Latvia and even with courier shipping I am embarrassed to say how inexpensive it was. And it came with the original box (coffin). The blade is in serious NOS condition. While it has some patina and pitting, that just adds character and I would not touch that. The original grind marks are visible and there are no linear sanding or polishing marks.The spine seems to have no hone wear and the edge will tree top hair. It’s just a tad away from the HHT and I will touch up the edge with one of my jnats. I am thrilled with this acquisition and I am getting new scales for it. I have inserted a closeup of the tang, which has a fish graphic on it. I am hoping someone can give me an approximate manufacturing date or other useful information on this razor.

PXL_20210210_211409051.jpg

Top Bottom